Cubs & Giants Play Two at Extended Spring Training
The EXST Cubs and EXST Giants played a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, with the Giants rallying with two runs in the bottom of the 7th to take the game played on Field #3 by a score of 4-2, while the other squads of Cubs and Giants played to a 4-4 tie on Field #4 as the Giants scored the tying run in the bottom of the 8th. (The game on Field #4 was stopped after eight innings).
Neither game was particularly noteworthy, except for Bobby Wagner making his debut as a catcher, AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer continuing his rehab (he had an RBI triple), and Jesus Morelli extending his hitting streak to 13 games on Field #3, and the Cubs committing eight errors (resulting in three unearned runs) in the game on Field #4.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Luis Flores has received his Letter of Transit and has moved up to Daytona. Flores hit 273/370/364 with 46% CS in 12 games since being reinstated from the Suspended List on April 26th.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1a. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 1-3 (P-6, K, 2B)
1b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED ALTHOUGH BIENEME REMAINED IN GAME AT 3B
2. George Matheus, SS: 0-4 (6-3, 5-3, F-9, 5-3)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, 5-3, K, R)
4. Brandon Guyer, CF: 1-4 (3B, 4-3, K, K, RBI)
5a. Bobby Wagner, C: 0-1 (F-7)
5b. Carlos Romero, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, CS)
6. Runey Davis, DH: 0-2 (BB, K, F-9, R)
7. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 0-2 (1-3, BB, L-9, CS)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (K+WP, 1B+E9, F-8)
9. Cody Shields, LF: 0-2 (F-9 SF, K, F-8, RBI)
1. John Mincone – 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 3/6 GO/FO, 56 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Danny Keefe – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Alvaro Sosa – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
C Carlos Romero E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
1. Bobby Wagner: 0-1 CS
2. Carlos Romero: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF-RF: 1-3 (K+WP, BB, 1B, 3-2 FC)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, F-7 SF, 5-4-3 GIDP, E-6, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, 3B: 1-3 (E-3, F-9 SF, 1B, 4-3, RBI, CS)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (P-4, K, K)
5. Alvaro Ramirez, LF: 1-3 (6-U FC, F-9, 1B, CS)
6. Chris Huseby, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, K)
7a. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-2 (6-3, F-8)
7b. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (F-8)
8. Blair Springfield, 2B: 1-3 (6-3, K, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (BB, K, 1B, 2 R)
10. Rafael Disla, DH #2: 1-2 (HBP, K, 1B, 2 R)
1. Luis Liria – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Carlos Rojas – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Mayora - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Rogelio Carmona – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Corey Martin - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (18 strikes)
1. C Sergio Burruel E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base – did not score)
2. 3B Pin-Chieh Chen E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 3B Pin-Chieh Chen E-5 (two base throwing error at 1st base allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base)
4. LF Alvaro Ramirez E-7 (fielding error in LF allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd – eventually scored unearned run)
5. P Hector Mayora E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base – did not score)
6. C Jose Guevara E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
7. 1B Xavier Batista E-3 (missed catch at 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
8. P Corey Martin E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner on 2nd base to advance to 3rd and runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd base)
1. Sergio Burruel: 2-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Jose Guevara: 1-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not ten days including the day the player was Designated for Assignment, it's ten day from the day the player was Designated for Assignment.
So because Neil Ramirez was Designated for Assignment on 5/21, the deadline to either assign the player to another club (MLB or minor league) or release the player is 5/31 (today).
AZBOBBOP: No updates.
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname
Mike Olt lives!
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.
wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.
And stay off the keyboard too
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.
hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.