Morelli Extends Hit Streak to 14 As Cubs Tarnish Angels at Fitch Park

Runey Davis drove-in four runs with a bases-loaded triple and an RBI single, Sergio Burruel knocked-in two more with a two-run single, and Jesus Morelli extended his hitting streak to 14 games with an RBI double, leading the EXST Cubs to an 8-4 victory over the EXST Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #2 this morning in Mesa.

AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer (left arm injury) continued his EXST rehab by getting seven Plate Appearances in the game, and he made the most of them, too, reaching base six times on two singles, a double, two walks and a HBP. He also scored a run and drove one in, and then he stole a couple of bases for good measure. To prove he is mortal, Guyer got himself picked-off 1st base in the 4th.

AA Tennessee LHP Casey Lambert (2009 TJS) also continued his rehab this morning, throwing one inning (18 pitches), and allowing a run on a single, a HBP, a WP, and a ground out.

In EXST Cubs roster news, 21-year old Dominican RHP Frank Batista and 19-year old Korean OF Jae-Hoon Ha have been promoted to Peoria.

In 20.1 IP over seven EXST appearances (three GS), Batista had allowed 11 runs (but only five earned) on 19 hits, with a 2.21 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, .234 OBA, and a 4/16 BB/K and 21/22 GO/FO. Batista was the Cubs #1 pitcher in the Dominican Summer League in 2009.

Ha was hitting 350/378/600 with two doubles, two triples, one HR, and six RBI in 14 EXST games, and he was just recently moved back to the OF after having all kinds of problems trying to make the conversion back to catcher (he was a catcher in HS). Ha is very athletic and can play all three OF positions, but he was hampered throughout most of the 2009 season with a sore wrist. He does have XBH power (and HR power) when healthy.

Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):

NOTE: CF Brandon Guyer hit 1st in the 2nd and 4th innings, and 3rd in the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th innings, getting seven Plate Appearances total in the game

LINEUP:
X. Brandon Guyer, CF: 3-4 (BB, BB, 1B, HBP, F-8, 1B, 2B, R, RBI, 2 SB, PO)
1. Arismendy Alcantara, 3B: 0-4 (6-3, F-7, F-8, K)
2. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-7, P-4, E-6, R)
3. Jesus Morelli, DH #1: 1-4 (6-3, F-8, P-4, 2B, R, RBI)
4. Alvaro Ramirez, RF: 2-4 (1B, 2B, 6-3, F-8, 2 R)
5a. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, 2 R)
5b. Carlos Romero, 1B: 0-1 (5-3)
6. Runey Davis, LF: 2-3 (3B, 1B, 4-3, R, 4 RBI)
7. George Matheus, SS: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 6-3, SB)
8. Sergio Burruel, DH #2: 1-3 (P-6 DP, 1B, 3-U, 2 RBI)
9. Jose Guevara, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-4 FC, F-8, SB)

PITCHERS:
1. Casey Lambert – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Tzu-An Wang – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (27 strikes)
3. Drew Rundle – 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Jadel Mendez – 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/FO, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
5. Alvido Jimenez – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (18 strikes)

ERRORS: 2
1. P Tzu-An Wang E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS George Matheus E-6 (throwing error at 1st base allowed batter to reach base – did not score)

CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Guevara: 0-1 CS

ATTENDANCE: 6

WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s

Comments

Batista and Ha each had solid debuts for Peoria. Peoria is getting more of an international flavor as the season progresses. The Cubs system could use more flavor.

Do you agree or disagree Az Phil?

I guess you'd mention this if there had been some, but any kids in Mesa for a draft scouting trip?

Submitted by Childersb3 on Thu, 05/27/2010 - 8:57pm.

Do you agree or disagree Az Phil?

===========================================

CHILDER: I agree. The Cubs have made a concerted effort to expand their international scouting (especially in the Pacific Rim), and it should begin to pay dividends in the near future. The Cubs have been especially active in South Korea, and have basically been able to take their pick of the best Korean HS players over the past three years. The Cubs have added Korean coaches and trainers, too, to help the Korean players adapt to life in the U. S.

It appears that the Cubs might be making some positive headway into Taiwan, too. The jury is still out, but Ping-Chieh Chen looks like he could develop into a Top 15 prospect down the road, especially if the Cubs put him at 2B and just leave him there for a while. (Chen was a member of the Taiwan Junior National Team before he signed with the Cubs, along with RHP Yao-Lin Wang).

The Cubs are also scouting Canada more-heavily than before, drafting SS Wes Darvill (Canadian Junior National Team) with their 5th round pick last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs select catcher Kellin Deglan (Darvill's teammate on the 2009 Canadian JNT) next month if he's available in the 2nd round (65th pick).

AZ Phil, I saw that Ha and Batista got called up but who got sent down? Was it common movement or were there injuries?

Thanks

Submitted by W Flag on Fri, 05/28/2010 - 12:24am.

Thanks

===========================================

W FLAG: OF-1B Richard Jones was sent to EXST, and RHP Jon Nagel was placed on the DL with more arm problems.

• My guy Addy

jacos 1 min 47 sec ago view
  • jacos 13 min 42 sec ago view
  • been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 4 hours 1 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 4 hours 2 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 4 hours 3 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 4 hours 22 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 4 hours 39 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 5 hours 14 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 6 hours 28 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 8 hours 5 min ago view