Morelli Extends Hit Streak to 14 As Cubs Tarnish Angels at Fitch Park
Runey Davis drove-in four runs with a bases-loaded triple and an RBI single, Sergio Burruel knocked-in two more with a two-run single, and Jesus Morelli extended his hitting streak to 14 games with an RBI double, leading the EXST Cubs to an 8-4 victory over the EXST Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #2 this morning in Mesa.
AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer (left arm injury) continued his EXST rehab by getting seven Plate Appearances in the game, and he made the most of them, too, reaching base six times on two singles, a double, two walks and a HBP. He also scored a run and drove one in, and then he stole a couple of bases for good measure. To prove he is mortal, Guyer got himself picked-off 1st base in the 4th.
AA Tennessee LHP Casey Lambert (2009 TJS) also continued his rehab this morning, throwing one inning (18 pitches), and allowing a run on a single, a HBP, a WP, and a ground out.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 21-year old Dominican RHP Frank Batista and 19-year old Korean OF Jae-Hoon Ha have been promoted to Peoria.
In 20.1 IP over seven EXST appearances (three GS), Batista had allowed 11 runs (but only five earned) on 19 hits, with a 2.21 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, .234 OBA, and a 4/16 BB/K and 21/22 GO/FO. Batista was the Cubs #1 pitcher in the Dominican Summer League in 2009.
Ha was hitting 350/378/600 with two doubles, two triples, one HR, and six RBI in 14 EXST games, and he was just recently moved back to the OF after having all kinds of problems trying to make the conversion back to catcher (he was a catcher in HS). Ha is very athletic and can play all three OF positions, but he was hampered throughout most of the 2009 season with a sore wrist. He does have XBH power (and HR power) when healthy.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
NOTE: CF Brandon Guyer hit 1st in the 2nd and 4th innings, and 3rd in the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th innings, getting seven Plate Appearances total in the game
X. Brandon Guyer, CF: 3-4 (BB, BB, 1B, HBP, F-8, 1B, 2B, R, RBI, 2 SB, PO)
1. Arismendy Alcantara, 3B: 0-4 (6-3, F-7, F-8, K)
2. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-7, P-4, E-6, R)
3. Jesus Morelli, DH #1: 1-4 (6-3, F-8, P-4, 2B, R, RBI)
4. Alvaro Ramirez, RF: 2-4 (1B, 2B, 6-3, F-8, 2 R)
5a. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, 2 R)
5b. Carlos Romero, 1B: 0-1 (5-3)
6. Runey Davis, LF: 2-3 (3B, 1B, 4-3, R, 4 RBI)
7. George Matheus, SS: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 6-3, SB)
8. Sergio Burruel, DH #2: 1-3 (P-6 DP, 1B, 3-U, 2 RBI)
9. Jose Guevara, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-4 FC, F-8, SB)
1. Casey Lambert – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Tzu-An Wang – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (27 strikes)
3. Drew Rundle – 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Jadel Mendez – 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/FO, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
5. Alvido Jimenez – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (18 strikes)
1. P Tzu-An Wang E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS George Matheus E-6 (throwing error at 1st base allowed batter to reach base – did not score)
Jose Guevara: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s
he's destroying it for SD in the majors this year.
23.1ip 10h 11bb 33k
The Cubs had Ryan Buchter at AAA last year and he's death on lefties, but they let him walk away as a minor league FA post-2015.
f'real...didn't even streak or try to beat up a base coach or anything.
After the game, jacos was DFA'd. #nohelp
Richard proving once again that, if you are really bad, it doesn't matter which hand you throw with.
Maybe time to find out what we have in Edwards?
Oof -- ugly game at the plate and from the pen, which was the hero yesterday.
Sorry Jake -- you deserved better.
k.bryant playing SS...because fuck it, that's why.
g.soto is doing horrible in AAA...unfortunately.
unless they decide to bring up g.concepcion or make a trade we might have richard around a little longer.
...that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him DFA'd after the game...the "lefty specialist" just let 3 lefties in a row get on base. ugg.
Ahhh Richard with your 6.00+ ERA as a short reliever...
You ain't gonna be on no Playoff roster.
I'll give this to Richard: he looks the part of a good pitcher, straight out of central casting. It's a shame he struggles with the getting guys out part of the game.
Didn't take Richard long. He is an absolute disaster.
Thru seven innings the Cubs have more errors than hits and Zobrist has struck out 3 times. And now Richard is pitching.
These things do not add up to victory
It was from about 15 years ago
Guess I was on tv
Vin Scully sang the seventh-inning stretch. Along with all the great things he is known for, he can sing! He sounded like Willie Nelson out there. And he gave a nice shout-out to Harry. What a class guy.
I'm thinking Kazmir did not get the memo he was supposed to pitch like a tomato can tonight. Jeesh