Morelli Hit Streak at 17 as Cubs Drop Giants
Jesus Morelli extended his hitting streak to 17 games with two doubles, Arismendy Alcantara tripled, singled, and scored a run, Xavier Batista doubled, tripled, and scored a run, and Vismeldy Bieneme reached base three times, scored one run, and drove-in another, as the EXST Cubs defeated the EXST Giants 4-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Indian School Park Field #4 in Scottsdale this morning.
Morelli has hit 437/485/621 over the course of his 17-game hit streak that goes back to May 5th, and with two more hits today, Morelli is hitting 384/452/603 with a team-leading 12 doubles in 23 EXST games since being sent down from Peoria on April 23rd. He has hit safely in 22 out of the 23 games he has played at Extended Spring Training, and he has reached base safely in all 23 games (he walked in the one game he went hitless).
AA Tennessee LHP Casey Lambert (September 2009 TJS) continued his rehab, throwing one shutout inning (16 pitches) in today’s game.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH #1: 1-2 (K, 1B, RBI)
1b. Rafael Disla, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 2-4 (3B, 1B, 1-3, 4-3, R, PO)
3. Runey Davis, LF: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, 1-3, K, RBI)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, L-8, BB)
5. Xavier Batista, DH #2: 2-4 (K, 2B, 3B, 5-4 FC, R)
6. Jesus Morelli, RF: 2-4 (2B, 2B, 4-3, P-6, RBI)
7. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 0-4 (F-8 DP, P-5, 3-1, F-8)
8. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 2-4 (K, 1B, P-6, 1B, R)
9a. Carlos Romero, C: 0-1 (K, 1-3 SH)
9b. Sergio Burruel, C: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
10. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, K, RBI, R)
1. Casey Lambert – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 16 pitches (13 strikes)
2. John Mincone – 4.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/FO, 56 pitches (38 strikes)
3. Luis Liria – 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 28 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Hector Mayora - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 35 pitches (24 strikes)
Sergio Burruel: 1 PO
WEATHER: Sunny, breezy, and hot, with temperatures in the 90’s
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon
See I told you they were up to no good
My guy Addy
Vin and '84 legends
been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.
When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.
Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).
I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.
We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.
think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.