Morelli Hit Streak at 17 as Cubs Drop Giants
Jesus Morelli extended his hitting streak to 17 games with two doubles, Arismendy Alcantara tripled, singled, and scored a run, Xavier Batista doubled, tripled, and scored a run, and Vismeldy Bieneme reached base three times, scored one run, and drove-in another, as the EXST Cubs defeated the EXST Giants 4-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Indian School Park Field #4 in Scottsdale this morning.
Morelli has hit 437/485/621 over the course of his 17-game hit streak that goes back to May 5th, and with two more hits today, Morelli is hitting 384/452/603 with a team-leading 12 doubles in 23 EXST games since being sent down from Peoria on April 23rd. He has hit safely in 22 out of the 23 games he has played at Extended Spring Training, and he has reached base safely in all 23 games (he walked in the one game he went hitless).
AA Tennessee LHP Casey Lambert (September 2009 TJS) continued his rehab, throwing one shutout inning (16 pitches) in today’s game.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH #1: 1-2 (K, 1B, RBI)
1b. Rafael Disla, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 2-4 (3B, 1B, 1-3, 4-3, R, PO)
3. Runey Davis, LF: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, 1-3, K, RBI)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, L-8, BB)
5. Xavier Batista, DH #2: 2-4 (K, 2B, 3B, 5-4 FC, R)
6. Jesus Morelli, RF: 2-4 (2B, 2B, 4-3, P-6, RBI)
7. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 0-4 (F-8 DP, P-5, 3-1, F-8)
8. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 2-4 (K, 1B, P-6, 1B, R)
9a. Carlos Romero, C: 0-1 (K, 1-3 SH)
9b. Sergio Burruel, C: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
10. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, K, RBI, R)
1. Casey Lambert – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 16 pitches (13 strikes)
2. John Mincone – 4.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/FO, 56 pitches (38 strikes)
3. Luis Liria – 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 28 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Hector Mayora - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 35 pitches (24 strikes)
Sergio Burruel: 1 PO
WEATHER: Sunny, breezy, and hot, with temperatures in the 90’s
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.
something tells me this isn't godley's day.