The Return of Z: Cubs (24-29) @ Pirates (22-31)

UPDATE: Wednesday night's game was rained out and will be made up this coming Monday at 11:35am, Chicago time. According to the Tribune's Paul Sullivan, Lou Piniella has yet to determine if Carlos Zambrano will start on Friday, when the Cubs open a three-game series in Houston.

From starter to set-up guy to long relief man to who-knows-what and finally, back to starter, Carlos Zambrano's strange season takes its next turn tonight at PNC Park. Zambrano will be making his first start since April 20th, when he threw 119 pitches and gave up two runs over six innings in a 4-0 loss to the Mets. Lou Piniella said he will limit Zambrano's workload tonight to 70 pitches or so. Can't help but wonder if that will get us through the second or third inning...

Do 24-29 teams get to play "must games"? I don't think so, but given how dismal the first 53 games have been, this would seem to be a great opportunity for a watershed moment.

Lots of familiar names back in the Cub lineup. Curiously Lou Piniella has one of our most potent hitters batting ninth.

Cubs vs. Zach Duke (3-5, 5.09; all-time vs. Cubs, 4-8, 3.67)
Theriot 4, Byrd 8, Lee 3, Nady 9, Ramirez 5, Soriano 7, Soto 2, Castro 6, Zambrano 1

Pirates vs. Carlos Zambrano (1-3, 6.12; all-time vs. Pirates, 11-8, 4.16)
McCutchen 8, Walker 4, Milledge 7, Jones 3, Church 9, Doumit 2, LaRoche 5, Cedeno 6, Duke 1

Comments

My Prediction - 3 IP 4 ER 7 H 3 BB - 85 pitches

MLB.COM has it

Theriot, BAKER 9, Byrd, Nady 3, Ramirez, Soriano, Soto, Castro, Z

Lee late scratch.. hamstring.

rain delay as well

But then who will bat cleanup???????????????

I shoot anyone who says Ramirez.

But then who will bat cleanup???????????????
---
Z

I'd be okay with that right now. Unless the Cubs trade Lee, they really don't have much opportunity to play Nady anyway. They ought to get what they can for him (again, unless they are trading Lee and think they need Nady to play 1st, and even then they should pull the trigger if it's a decent return).

other teams expecting Cubs to start selling after this road trip

yow...bit early for that.

Paul Sullivan posts that the game is delayed because of rain, thunder and 60 mph winds

that little guy just might get taken by a gust and dumped in the river (and he'd find a way to blame Milton Bradley)

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 5 hours 36 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 6 hours 2 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.

• I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.