Morelli Hit Streak Reaches 20 as Cubs Play Extended Spring Training Finale
Jesus Morelli reached base three times and extended his hitting streak to 20 games and Cubs pitchers fanned 14 EXST Brewers through the first eight innings,, but the Brew Crew hung-on to edge the EXST Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning. This was the final 2010 Extended Spring Training game for both teams.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-3 (P-4, P-6, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THROUGH ORDER ALTHOUGH NA REMAINED IN CF
2. George Matheus, SS: 1-4 (6-3, HR, P-4, BB, K, RBI, R)
3. Jesus Morelli, DH #1: 1-3 (BB, 6-3, P-3, 1B, BB, R)
4a. Brandon May, 1B: 2-4 (1B, F-7, E-5, 1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 4th TIME THROUGH ORDER ALTHOUGH MAY REMAINED AT 1B
4b. Vismeldy Bieneme, PR: 0-0 (SB)
5. Runey Davis, DH #2: 2-4 (F-9, 3B, K, 1B, RBI, SB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3rd TIME THROUGH ORDER ALTHOUGH DAVIS REMAINED IN GAME
6. Chris Huseby, DH #3: 0-4 (3-U, BB, F-8, L-6, K)
7. Arismendy Alcantara, 3B: 0-4 (L-7, 4-3, 1-3, 4-3)
8. Alvaro Ramirez, LF: 2-4 (1B, 3B, 3-U, 4-3, R, PO)
9. Wes Darvill, 2B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 6-3, RBI, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TIME THROUGH ORDER ALTHOUGH DARVILL REMAINED AT 2B
10. Carlos Romero, C: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, 4-3, 6-3)
11. Xavier Batista, RF: NO AB – PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
1. Marcus Hatley – 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Yao-Lin Wang – 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/4 GO/FO, 47 pitches (31 strikes)
3. Marcos Perez – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 7 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 49 pitches (35 strikes)
4. Andres Quezada - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 16 pitches (12 strikes)
Carlos Romero: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
RF Xavier Batista (at 2nd base)
WEATHER: Sunny and hot, with 100+ temperatures
Happ signs w Jays
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!