Game thread: Astros (37-55) @ Cubs (42-51)

According to the Playoff Odds Report at Baseball Prospectus, your Chicago Cubs enter play tonight with a .66% chance of reaching the post-season. Yes, point-six-six percent, as in 66 percent of 1 percent. Pretty sad, huh?

The Astros, however, come into the game with a .00075% chance of reaching the playoffs, so by BP's figuring, the Cubs are about 866 times more likely to get to the post-season than are the Astros.

Feeling better now about 2010?

The Astros lead the season series, 4 victories to 2.

Astros lineup v. Carlos Silva (9-3, 3.45; 2-0, 3.12 all-time v. Astros)
Bourn 8, Sanchez 6, Berkman 3, Pence 9, C. Lee 7, Keppinger 4, C. Johnson 5, J. Castro 2, Rodriguez 1

Cubs lineup v. Wandy Rodriguez (6-11, 4.97; 4-4, 3.74 all-time v. Cubs)
Colvin 9, Castro 6, Lee 3, Ramirez 5, Byrd 8, Soriano 7, Soto 2, Baker 4, Silva 1

Comments

carlos silva sure is carlos silva tonight.

this isn't getting any better. after the lineup turns over to bourne for his 2nd ab in the 1st the pen gets up.

i am in awe of the lack of trash on the field and the lack of boo'ing from the stands. bases loaded...

holy leaping stop castro...thanks for that 3rd out.

silva with 11 er in his last 2.1ip (over 2 games)...13 hits, 5bb

ERA from 2.96 to 3.86

Silva looks angry to me. Very angry.

He looks fat to me.

it's been a while since i've seen someone so efficiently murder their year's work. he's still hanging onto a decent WHIP, though.

You wouldn't like Silva when he's angry

I think Silva's green skin is actually from food poisoning.

I think Silva's green skin is actually from food poisoning.
---
There are two other possible explanations...Silva's hemoglobin is based on Copper or he's an Orion Slave trader

So much for the pipedream that the team would start playing better now. Hendry has my blessing to trade away anything that isn't bolted down.

I've got this awful feeling Hendry has had some offers for Silva but didn't pull the trigger.

if silva didn't have a year left, maybe.

no one would want to touch that risk i'd imagine.

Hey look! Carlos Silva!

The only thing more painful than running if you're Derrek Lee is watching Derrek Lee run.

• Great news.

"Terms of the deal were not disclosed."

Rob Richardson 15 min 23 sec ago view
  • Theo inks five year extension

PC tonite at PNC

jacos 37 min 40 sec ago view
  • Not as a major factor, but could be a tie-breaker. But, yeah, on performance and experience, it's Coghlan.

billybucks 1 hour 25 min ago view
  • Arrieta’s 2.85 ERA would be good enough to lead 26 other teams. He's 3rd on #Cubs behind Hendricks (1.99) and Lester (2.28)

Rob G. 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • jacos 2 hours 29 min ago view
  • For sure! Russell and Baez are the first infielders in a while to make me think of star defensive players in football or basketball--it's almost like they force turnovers, and they definitely play the field with a degree of athletic aggression I'd expect from a linebacker.

[Edit: Was meant to be a response to JB above.]

• tebow hit a HR in the 1st pitch he sees in instructs..lulz.

• I don't think his issue(s) will have anything to do with it. He hasn't hit since he's been back. Coghlan has the hot hand.

Tito 6 hours 6 min ago view
  • I'm not a denier but definitely a skeptic on Strop and Grimm, who struggle with fastball control. Strop doesn't go near the ninth inning, and note how Grimm couldn't close the deal even with a 5-run lead. So Felix Pena comes in and gets the 3-pitch game-ending strikeout like it was nothing.

And how about Almora missing that very catchable ball? That was unexpected after all the hype about his glove.

When Trea Turner misses balls like that--which he does--I draw conclusions from it. It seems to be the one chink in his armor. But I'll give Almora another chance.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 10 min ago view
  • Assuming Soler is good to go, I think it comes down to 3 of the following 4: Coghlan, TLS, Sczcur, Almora. Of the 4, TLS seems to be the hardest to justify, particularly given his behavioral issues.

• I'm wondering if both Coghlan and LaStella make it. With Javy being able to play all the infield spots and Joe maybe wanting late-inning D when Soler plays (assuming he plays), hence either Szczur or Almora, I think LaStella might be the odd guy out.

Tito 6 hours 19 min ago view
  • Hendricks needs the win, anyway, plus a couple more.

My hunch is that Hendricks wins the Cy Young . . . for Lester. That is, without Hendricks tipping the scale toward the Cubs, Scherzer tops Lester.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 32 min ago view
  • Old Cub fans remember when Ken Hubbs died at 22 in the crash of a small plane he was piloting in a storm in Utah in 1964. But Hubbs was not an elite power pitcher like Score and Fernandez. Score lived a long time after the accident but it was (effectively) career-ending.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 36 min ago view
  • HAGSAG: Since I've only seen them throw in one game and in one "live" BP session, all I can do is provide initial first impressions.

Brailyn Marquez is listed at 6'4 but is probably more like 6'5 or 6'6. I would describe him as a younger version of Bryan Hudson, throwing a ton of ground balls but not getting a lot of swings & misses (yet). Because of his size he could eventually grow into more velocity, but right now he's mostly a pitch-to-contact guy. He generally throws strikes.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 41 min ago view
  • Phil, do Marquez and Ocampo look like prospects?

Hagsag 10 hours 26 min ago view
  • It helps when your defense has declared war against the H in WHIP.

Still impressive.