Local Boy Makes Good, Makes Cubs Pitchers Look Bad
San Francisco Giants 2009 2nd round draft pick Tommy Joseph (Horizon HS – Scottsdale, AZ) blasted a two-run home run to cap a five-run 3rd as the Giants trounced the Cubs 13-2 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon. Local-boy Joseph also hit a two-run bomb in yesterday’s 12-1 Giants victory at Fitch Park.
While the pitching (13 runs on 12 hits, five walks, and a HBP) and defense (four errors in the first three innings) left much to be desired today, the Cub offense wasn't any better. Already down 7-0 and with Giants pitchers having retired the previous 14 in a row, the Cubs scored their only two runs of the game in the top of the 6th in the following way: WALK - PASSED BALL - WILD PITCH - STRIKE OUT - RBI SINGLE - WILD PITCH - WALK - WILD PITCH - WALK - WILD PITCH - STRIKE OUT - STRIKE OUT. And that was the offensive high point!
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, BB, 5-3, CS)
2a. Logan Watkins, CF: 1-2 (1B, K, SB)
2b. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-1 (K)
2c. Sergio Burruel, PH: 1-1 (2B)
3a. Engel Santana, C: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, K)
3b. Max Kwan, C: 0-1 (P-4)
4. Justin Bour, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, 4-3)
5. Ryan Cuneo, 1B-3B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 3-U)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B-1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 6-3)
7. Reggie Golden, LF-CF: 0-2 (K, BB, 6-3, R)
8. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, K, K)
9. Delbis Arcila, DH #2: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-5, RBI, R)
10. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-2 (6-3, BB, 6-3)
1. Jeff Lorick: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (20 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Luis Liria: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Alvaro Sosa: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 39 pitches (21 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. Brian Smith: 0.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 27 pitches (15 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Charles Thomas: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 26 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
1. 1B Ryan Cuneo E-3 (throwing error allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Luis Liria E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 2nd base allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base and runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd base)
3 C Engel Santana E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
4. 3B Dustin Geiger E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
Engel Santana – 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
ATTENDANCE: 19 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname
Mike Olt lives!
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.
wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.
And stay off the keyboard too
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.
hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.
heyward with a bit of starlin castro disease...you're great D dude, but you can't range 200ft in all directions even if you're playing CF.
that said, he almost had it...though zobrist or baez should have had it if heyward wasn't coming on at 100mph.
hammel is quite wild today even if he got the first 2 outs on Ks that were result of swinging through stuff not in the zone.
she did fine, fwiw.
bombs were bursting in the air...ramparts were watched...all that stuff.
zoobrest kissed her afterwards and got about 20lbs of the 100lbs of makeup she was wearing on him.