Local Boy Makes Good, Makes Cubs Pitchers Look Bad
San Francisco Giants 2009 2nd round draft pick Tommy Joseph (Horizon HS – Scottsdale, AZ) blasted a two-run home run to cap a five-run 3rd as the Giants trounced the Cubs 13-2 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon. Local-boy Joseph also hit a two-run bomb in yesterday’s 12-1 Giants victory at Fitch Park.
While the pitching (13 runs on 12 hits, five walks, and a HBP) and defense (four errors in the first three innings) left much to be desired today, the Cub offense wasn't any better. Already down 7-0 and with Giants pitchers having retired the previous 14 in a row, the Cubs scored their only two runs of the game in the top of the 6th in the following way: WALK - PASSED BALL - WILD PITCH - STRIKE OUT - RBI SINGLE - WILD PITCH - WALK - WILD PITCH - WALK - WILD PITCH - STRIKE OUT - STRIKE OUT. And that was the offensive high point!
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, BB, 5-3, CS)
2a. Logan Watkins, CF: 1-2 (1B, K, SB)
2b. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-1 (K)
2c. Sergio Burruel, PH: 1-1 (2B)
3a. Engel Santana, C: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, K)
3b. Max Kwan, C: 0-1 (P-4)
4. Justin Bour, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, 4-3)
5. Ryan Cuneo, 1B-3B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 3-U)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B-1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 6-3)
7. Reggie Golden, LF-CF: 0-2 (K, BB, 6-3, R)
8. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, K, K)
9. Delbis Arcila, DH #2: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-5, RBI, R)
10. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-2 (6-3, BB, 6-3)
1. Jeff Lorick: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (20 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Luis Liria: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Alvaro Sosa: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 39 pitches (21 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. Brian Smith: 0.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 27 pitches (15 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Charles Thomas: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 26 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
1. 1B Ryan Cuneo E-3 (throwing error allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Luis Liria E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 2nd base allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base and runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd base)
3 C Engel Santana E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
4. 3B Dustin Geiger E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
Engel Santana – 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
ATTENDANCE: 19 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Buddy Ryan takes his place alongside George Allen as the great Bear head coaches who never were.
Well, at least he can still hit: Jake slashing .294/.368/.868. Forget hitting 8th -- he should hit 6th.
Curious to see today's lineup vs. a LHP: Ross needs to catch Lester, Joe likes Javy at 3B when Lester pitches. Heyward with back-to-back good games at the plate, and is actually hitting a little better against LHP (.247/.341) than RHP (.232/.321), although neither is much to write home about. But, tomorrow is an early day game, so some regulars will probably sit either today or tomorrow.
Maybe Willson in LF, KB in RF and Almora in CF? If so, Albert Jr., assume every ball is yours.
"Pitching prospects not looking so hot"
That reminds me that Lucas Giolito will start for the Nats tonight.
Well, there you go. Federowicz is one of the best at balls in the dirt.
Reds pitching meeting tomorrow:
"Hey coach...maybe we should walk Bryant?"
"No...keep challenging him with fastballs! What kind of man are you?! The Cubs walked Harper, and look what happened there! They got teased for it, by one of the Nat players! Is that what you want?"
How can I get that feature? I think it woudl be a win-win for all involved.
Ian Happ is hitting.733 after 5 games at Tennessee. He went into tonight's game hitting .667 -- and went 3-for-3 to raise his average.
2-for-3, including a bomb, for LaStella at Iowa. Pierce Johnson very bad -- 2IP, 5ER. Pitching prospects not looking so hot -- Underwood has been awful.
Did Jiminez get hurt? I noticed he came out early yesterday.
Contreras keeps hitting/walking like this, and Miggy keep up the poor D and lack of offense - the kid could be the #1 catcher very soon.
it doesn't hurt that the Cardinals lose the KC and the Pirates lost too.
...still trying to process what I just saw. From both KB and Jake. Walking Billy Hamilton twice is a cry for help. I think the nudie photos are messing with Jake's head.
Hopefully Peralta's time on the Cubs roster will be shorter than R. Soriano's.
it took 9 pitches for peralta to give up his 1st cubs homer. neat.
damn...totally missed that ruben quevedo died on june 7th. he was only 37...heart attack.
he threw some really horrible games for the cubs in 2000 and followed it up by doing the same for 3 season for the brewers.
Holy Kris Bryant what?!
Hitting 3 HR, 2 doubles in a game. Never been done in mlb history per Len/Bob.