2011 TCR Free Agent Frenzy

It's that time again, although I'm a little late getting this up. Hopefully no one will sign immediately in the next couple of days. I added 3 names to the MLB contest to keep it at 15 like years past. Click here if the embedded form doesn't work.

May the force be with you!

Comments

Embedded didn't work, 'click here' did. Let me know if you didn't get it.

I love this stuff!!

I'm not really into this stuff but I'd love to see the results.

I got half way through and I was like, these dudes on this site are sick with how much they know compared to me.

So I don't even HAVE half a guess with Cliff Lee, although everyone thinks it's obvious.

I disagree. I think there's a 50-50 chance he stays with Texas, just because.

The rest of them, who the fuck knows. And none of them really get my pants wet anyway.

I didn't really know who one of the players is. The most difficult part was keeping track of which #'s you used.

I put Huff and Wood to the Cubs, both with lowish probability.

Sort of surprising that some of those guys are on the list ahead of DP Lee.

God, I pray to you. In the High Heavens. Find a way to destroy Facebook, and Twitter, before we get into the hot stove league.

I beg you Lord.

Undercover Boss was kind of fun. Felt good to see Wrigley on TV in November. Eyeroll

*rimshot

Is there a "select all" drop down for Cubs?

I did that last year and it didn't work out too well.

This is the first year in the last 2 or 3 that I don't see the Cubs signing any of them.... weird.

"Blue Jays hired Don Wakamatsu as bench coach"

pickings are getting thin sandberg...

...and from the world of "check out my laptop, dudes"...

"Mets have hired Paul DePodesta as vice president of player development and amateur scouting."

...and from the world of D.Lee...

"Derrek Lee underwent surgery Friday on his right thumb.
The veteran first baseman played the last month of the 2010 season with a torn ligament in his right hand, which partly explains his poor overall numbers."

...and from the department of you should seriously consider hiring someone that can hit a baseball because pitching isn't everything...

"Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the A's have won the rights to bid exclusively on Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma."

Yo crunch! September was Derrek Lee's best month at the plate....304 .404 .511 .915

what does that have to do with tim wilken? =p hehe...

these quotes are culled from rotoworld blurbs, btw.

Lee only hits like a major league first basemen when he has a hand injury. Had he been hurt all year, the Cubs may have done a lot better.

• Not sure I agree with this logic. The Cubs are one of the best teams in baseball, they have spent heavily on the team over the past couple of seasons, have more hitting prospects than they have places for them to play (and more on the way), a clear weakness in the bullpen, and have a 1.5 year window with Arrieta (to say nothing of the likely declines of Lester and Lackey).

Unless you think (maybe even if you do think) Schwarber is the next coming of Babe Ruth, I would certainly consider trading him if it brought back a couple of the best relief pitchers in baseball.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 14 min ago view
  • Miggy was going to sit anyway with Lester starting.

In related news, do any of the Cubs pitchers want to throw to Contreras?

Rob G. 1 hour 26 min ago view
  • Only Russell and Miggy failed to reach base yesterday. Both sit today.

billybucks 1 hour 35 min ago view
  • Trading Schwarber actually makes a lot of sense because his actual position is currently being taken by Anthony Rizzo, unless they vote in the DH this offseason.

Trading him for a reliever is never going to happen though. I don't think you can trade Schwarber unless you get a CF'er for a few years (presume Fowler finds his multi-year deal next offseson) or a couple of high end young starters...or an established starter...a good one like Chris Sale.

Rob G. 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • I don't see what the Yanks have that the Cubs need.

Ryno 1 hour 51 min ago view
  • peter gammons on MLB network pushing the yanks/schwarber angle...says insiders from the yanks say brian cashman highly covets him.

unless that conversation starts with a.miller (2/18m left on contract) i dunno how you even start that conversation given the "not trash, but no stars" state of the yanks minor league system.

they got corner OF'r aaron judge, C gary sanchez, RHP james kaprielian's questionable elbow, RHP domingo acevedo...all interesting, none expected to impact the game like schwarber's power potential.

• Zo, Heyward, KB, Riz, Contreras (LF), Baez (SS), Szczur (CF), Ross, Lester

Cubster 2 hours 32 min ago view
  • damn. low sample size blah blah whatever, but that slash got sneaky good. 10 hits, 4 walks, 2hr, 1 double through 39 PA...nice

• Buddy Ryan takes his place alongside George Allen as the great Bear head coaches who never were.

VirginiaPhil 5 hours 47 min ago view
  • Well, at least he can still hit: Jake slashing .294/.368/.868. Forget hitting 8th -- he should hit 6th.

• Curious to see today's lineup vs. a LHP: Ross needs to catch Lester, Joe likes Javy at 3B when Lester pitches. Heyward with back-to-back good games at the plate, and is actually hitting a little better against LHP (.247/.341) than RHP (.232/.321), although neither is much to write home about. But, tomorrow is an early day game, so some regulars will probably sit either today or tomorrow.

Maybe Willson in LF, KB in RF and Almora in CF? If so, Albert Jr., assume every ball is yours.

• "Pitching prospects not looking so hot"

That reminds me that Lucas Giolito will start for the Nats tonight.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 13 min ago view
  • Well, there you go. Federowicz is one of the best at balls in the dirt.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 32 min ago view
  • Reds pitching meeting tomorrow:

"Hey coach...maybe we should walk Bryant?"
    "No...keep challenging him with fastballs! What kind of man are you?! The Cubs walked Harper, and look what happened there! They got teased for it, by one of the Nat players! Is that what you want?"

• How can I get that feature? I think it woudl be a win-win for all involved.

• Ian Happ is hitting.733 after 5 games at Tennessee. He went into tonight's game hitting .667 -- and went 3-for-3 to raise his average.

2-for-3, including a bomb, for LaStella at Iowa. Pierce Johnson very bad -- 2IP, 5ER. Pitching prospects not looking so hot -- Underwood has been awful.

Did Jiminez get hurt? I noticed he came out early yesterday.