Marshall Plan Works to Perfection at Fitch
Brandon Watson (signed yesterday after getting released by the White Sox earlier in the week) doubled, tripled, and collected two RBI, Fernando Perez (just demoted from big league camp) singled, doubled, scored a run, and knocked-in two others, and Blake Lalli tripled and singled, scored a run, and drove-in another, helping the Iowa Cubs mount a fierce five-run 8th inning rally to close a 6-0 deficit to just one run, but Watson was left stranded at 3rd when Scott Moore and Matt Spencer struck out (Moore looking and Spencer swinging) and Ty Wright popped out to RF, and the Salt Lake Bees (Angels AAA affiliate) hung-on to edge the I-Cubs 6-5 on Field #3, while over on Field #2, Cubs LHRP Sean Marshall (sent to Minor League Camp to get work) threw a 13-pitch 1-2-3 1st inning (F-9, 5-3, F-9), Ryan Flaherty and Rebel Ridling hammered solo home runs (Flaherty’s a towering 450-foot job over the “Green Monster” Batter’s Eye in dead CF), and Nate Samson reached base three times (a triple, a single, and a walk) and drove-in two runs, leading the Tennessee Smokies to a 4-1 nine-inning victory over the Arkansas Travelers (Angels AA affiliate) on Field #2 (although the game was extended an extra half-inning to allow LHP Chris Siegfried to pitch his pre-scheduled inning--bumped to extra innings when Sean Marshall arrived, and the Travelers scored four runs in the top of the 10th), in Cactus League Minor League action at Fitch Park this afternoon
LHP Brooks Raley and RHP Rob Whitenack followed Marshall to the mound on Field #2, and both had impressive three-inning outings.
After a work-out on Field #4, several players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad (SS Wes Darvill—just demoted to Boise/Mesa from Peoria, and outfielders Blair Springfield, Dong-Yub Kim, Xavier Batista, and Oliver Zapata) saw some late game action with Tennessee or Iowa. (Players from the Boise/Mesa Extended Spring Training group are used as late inning replacements in Minor League Spring Training games).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
FIELD #2 (CLASS AA – Tennessee Smokies vs. Arkansas Travelers)
1a. Brett Jackson, CF-DH: 0-3 (3-1, K, 5-3)
1b. Wes Darvill, PH-SS: 0-1 (E6)
2. D. J. Lemahieu, DH #1: 0-4 (F-8, 5-3, 4-3, 4-3)
3a. Josh Vitters, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, K, F-8)
3b. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-1 (F-7)
4a. Michael Burgess, RF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, K)
4b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH-RF: 1-1 (1B)
5a. Rebel Ridling, 1B: 1-3 (L-9 DP, K, HR, R, RBI)
5b. Xavier Batista, PH-1B: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
6a. Ryan Flaherty, SS: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
6b. David Macias, PH-2B: 0-2 (4-3, 3-U)
7a. Michael Brenly, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-7)
7b. Mario Mercedes, C: 0-1 (F-7)
8. Kyler Burke, LF-CF-DH: 2-3 (1B, F-7, 2B, 2 R)
9a. Brooks Raley DH #2: 0-0 (2-4 SH)
9b. Smaily Borges, PH-LF: 1-2 (F-8, 1B)
10. Nate Samson, 2B-SS-3B: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 2 RBI, PO)
1. Sean Marshall: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
2. Brooks Raley: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 37 pitches (25 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Rob Whitenack: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 37 pitches (28 strikes), 7/1 GO/FO
4. Aaron Shafer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 15 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Mike Perconte: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (5 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
6. Chris Siegfried: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
SS Wes Darvill: E-6 – two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Michael Brenly: 0-1 CS, 1 PO
2. Mario Mercedes: 0-2 CS
FIELD #3 (CLASS AAA – Iowa Cubs vs Salt Lake Bees)
1. Fernando Perez, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-5, K, 2B, R, 2 RBI, CS)
2. Brandon Watson, LF: 2-4 (4-3, 1-3, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI)
3. Scott Moore, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, 3-U, BB, K)
4. Matt Spencer, RF: 0-4 (K, K, F-9, K)
5. Ty Wright, DH: 0-4 (F-8, P-4, K, F-9)
6. Bobby Scales, 3B: 1-4 (K, F-9, 2B, 3-U, R)
7a. Blake Lalli, C: 2-4 (1-3, 4-3, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
7b. Oliver Zapata, PR: NO AB
8. Matt Camp, SS: 0-3 (1-3, P-6, BB, L-5, R)
9. Jonathan Mota, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, BB, K, R)
1. Austin Bibens-Dirkx: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 71 pitches (44 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Polin Trinidad: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Luke Sommer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. John Gaub: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 18 pitches (13 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Chris Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 2
1. SS Matt Camp E-6 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. 3B Bobby Scales E-5 – fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely
WEATHER: Sunny, with temperatures in the 70’s
Lester didn't have much movement there in inning one. Doubt the long break between starts helped him. Rizzo popping out way too often the last 6 weeks. 22 pitches for Lackey through 2.
For Quintin to be in the team (should they get past the Cards) maybe a pitcher gets the axe.
if the cubs make it past STL (and molina behind the plate) it'll be interesting to see if they find a home for q.berry on the roster as a running substitution tool.
RHP Jason Hammel replaces OF Quintin Berry on the Active Roster, as the Cubs go from 10 pitchers in the Wild Card game to 11 pitchers in the NLDS.
the story checks out.
also, i agree.
So all this business about Maddon being an old Cards fan and Arrieta being in Matt Carpenter's wedding... I have really strong feelings about this stuff. I'm not sure if I really enjoy it or really despise it, but I feel strongly about it...
Today's Loss puts new meaning into their national anthem: O Canada
LaTroy does what he's always done best, blow games on the line. Still breaking management hearts at age 42.
I'm sure Fox is thrilled with the ratings potential of a Rangers + Astros ALCS. Ha.
LaTroy is going to LaTroy
I am remarkably calm about today's game. Not that I am expecting to win, but that I have no expectations at all either way.
If the Cubs game goes to 14 innings, I will no longer be calm.
TEX/TOR in the 14th inning, btw...fun stuff.
Yay! KB at 3B!
Molina in the Cards lineup.
Fowler (CF), Schwarber (RF!), Bryant (3B), Rizzo (1B), Castro (2B), Coughlan (LF), Russell (SS), Ross (C), Lester (P)