D-Cubs & Chiefs Deal with Tourists and Nuts at Fitch Park
Richard Jones blasted a solo HR onto 8th Street and drove in another run with a single and LHP Eric Jokisch (2010 11th round pick out of Nortwestern) threw three shutout innings with five strikeouts, leading the Peoria Chiefs to a 6-3 victory over the Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies Class “A” affiliate) on Field #2, while next-door on Field #3 the Daytona Cubs were cracking the Modesto Nuts (Rockies Advanced “A” affiliate) by a score of 11-4, as Matt Cerda went 3-3 with two runs scored and an RBI, Junior Lake had three hits (a double and two singles), scored one run, and drove in another, and Evan Crawford doubled, singled, stole a base (home), scored twice, and knocked in two runs, in Cactus League Minor League Spring Training action at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ, this afternoon.
Cubs #5 starter Andrew Cashner made his final Arizona start this morning on Field #1, throwing three innings (and getting hammered) in an intrasquad game between the Iowa Cubs and the Tennessee Smokies.
Although they are assigned to the Iowa squad, RHP Blake Parker and Hung-Wen Chen pitched in the Daytona game this afternoon rather than the intrasquad game this morning, because they were bumped by Cashner.
In Minor League Camp roster news, a number of players were released or demoted today:
RELEASED: OF (ex-RHP) Chris Huseby, RHP Mike Perconte, and RHP Aaron Shafer (2008 2nd round draft pick).
IOWA TO TENNESSEE: OF Jim Adduci, RHP Chris Carpenter, C-1B Blake Lalli, LHP Luke Sommer, and OF-1B Matt Spencer.
TENNESSEE TO DAYTONA: C Michael Brenly, OF-1B Michael Burgess, OF Jae-Hoon Ha, RHP Ty’Relle Harris, OF-IF-C David Macias, and RHP Rob Whitenack.
DAYTONA TO PEORIA: RHP Eduardo Figueroa, OF D. J. Fitzgerald, C Micah Gibbs, LHP Eric Jokisch, OF Alvaro Ramirez, and OF Jose Valdez.
PEORIA TO BOISE/MESA (EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING): 2B Pin-Chieh Chen, RHP Dustin Fitzgerald, C Max Kwan, RHP Luis Liria, OF Jesus Morelli, and RHP Alvaro Sosa.
After a work-out on Field #4, several players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad (2B Pin-Chieh Chen, 3B Dustin Geiger, SS Dustin Harrington OF Blair Springfield, and OF Oliver Zapata) saw some late game action with Daytona in the game on Field #3. (Players from the Boise/Mesa Extended Spring Training group are often used as late inning replacements in Minor League Spring Training games).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only), with some of the recently-demoted players in the starting lineups of their new squads:
FIELD #2 (CLASS “A” – Peoria Chiefs vs Asheville Tourists)
1. Rubi Silva, CF: 1-4 (F-7, K, 1-6-3 DP, 1B, PO)
2. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, F-9)
3. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 1-4 (K, 6-3, E-3, 3B, SB, R)
4. Richard Jones, 1B: 2-4 (4-3, HR, K, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
5. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-3 (L-9, F-7, BB, 3-U)
6. Anthony Giansanti, 3B: 0-3 (K, 3-1, 1-3, BB, R)
7. Alvaro Ramirez, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, L-8, R)
8. Elliot Soto, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, L-7, BB, R)
9a. Jose Valdez, LF: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-7, RBI)
9b. Kyung-Min Na, LF: 1-1 (1B, 2 RBI)
10. Wes Darvill, DH #2: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, P-6)
1. Eric Jokisch: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 47 pitches (34 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Robinson Lopez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (12 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Casey Harman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Yohan Gonzalez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
PEORIA ERRORS: NONE
PEORIA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 1-2 CS
FIELD #3 (ADVANCED CLASS "A” – Daytona Cubs vs Modesto Nuts)
1. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF-DH: 1-5 (3-U, F-9, 1B, L-5, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
2a. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, FC, F-9, R, SB)
2b. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-1 (3B)
3a. Junior Lake, SS: 3-4 (5-4 FC, 2B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3b. Dustin Harrington, SS: 0-1 (K)
4a. Justin Bour, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, F-8, BB, RBI)
4b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (6-3)
5a. Michael Burgess, LF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
5b. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-0 (BB)
6a. Nelson Perez, RF: 2-4 (4-3, 1B, 1B, 4-3, 2 R)
6b. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-1 (K)
7a. Michael Brenly, C: 1-2 (L-5, 1B, BB, 2 R)
7b. David Macias, C: 0-2 (L-4, F-8)
8a. Matt Cerda, 3B: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
8b. Jake Opitz, 3B-1B: 0-1 (BB, 6-4 FC)
9. Evan Crawford, DH-CF: 2-4 (2B, 1B, F-9, F-9, 2 R, RBI, SB)
1. Rob Whitenack: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 50 pitches (34 strikes), 7/2 GO/FO
2. Blake Parker: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
3. Hung-Wen Chen: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Ty’Relle Harris: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Ryan Searle: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
DAYTONA ERRORS: 1:
SS Junior Lake E-6 – fielding error (bobble) allowed batter to reach base safely
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Michael Brenly: 0-2 CS
2. David Macias: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
KOYIES BANSAW: I would say Aaron Brooks is comparable to Dallas Beeler. When healthy, they both provide AAA starting pitcher depth until somethng better comes up through the pipeline. Maybe the "26th man" when the Cubs need a 6th starter for a doubleheader.
he's destroying it for SD in the majors this year.
23.1ip 10h 11bb 33k
The Cubs had Ryan Buchter at AAA last year and he's death on lefties, but they let him walk away as a minor league FA post-2015.
f'real...didn't even streak or try to beat up a base coach or anything.
After the game, jacos was DFA'd. #nohelp
Richard proving once again that, if you are really bad, it doesn't matter which hand you throw with.
Maybe time to find out what we have in Edwards?
Oof -- ugly game at the plate and from the pen, which was the hero yesterday.
Sorry Jake -- you deserved better.
k.bryant playing SS...because fuck it, that's why.
g.soto is doing horrible in AAA...unfortunately.
unless they decide to bring up g.concepcion or make a trade we might have richard around a little longer.
...that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him DFA'd after the game...the "lefty specialist" just let 3 lefties in a row get on base. ugg.
Ahhh Richard with your 6.00+ ERA as a short reliever...
You ain't gonna be on no Playoff roster.
I'll give this to Richard: he looks the part of a good pitcher, straight out of central casting. It's a shame he struggles with the getting guys out part of the game.
Didn't take Richard long. He is an absolute disaster.
Thru seven innings the Cubs have more errors than hits and Zobrist has struck out 3 times. And now Richard is pitching.
These things do not add up to victory
It was from about 15 years ago
Guess I was on tv
Vin Scully sang the seventh-inning stretch. Along with all the great things he is known for, he can sing! He sounded like Willie Nelson out there. And he gave a nice shout-out to Harry. What a class guy.