In Which We Get to Mock My Other Fantasy Draft
I have no delusions that any of you care about my fantasy baseball teams, but the amount of time I put on this site allows me these occasional self-indulgent posts.
So TCR founder and all-around good guy Christian Ruzich invited me to join his auction league and I accepted because...what the hell? I played a few roto leagues before and always hated them, but the auction style was new to me, might as well try it. Here are the pertinent league rules:
* 24-man roster (C C 1B 2B 3B SS CR MI OF OF OF OF OF UT + 10 pitchers) * 5x5: OBP, HR, RBI, R, SB-CS // W, ERA, K, SV, WHIP * Auction with keepers - $270 auction budget * Drafted players get a two-year contract, with option for a 3rd year at salary +10
This was the team I was inheriting and the keeper rule is between 5-10 players and at least $40 of salary, otherwise it comes out of your auction day draft.
Players are listed with name, team, contract, salary, and position eligibility. Contract statuses: 2 = 2nd year, eligible for an option in 2012 at salary + $10 2N = 2nd year, not eligible for an option O = option year J Castro HOU 2 5 C J LuCroy MIL 2N 1 C B Allen ARI 2 1 1/O R Weeks MIL 2 20 2 P Sandoval SFG 2 27 3 E Cabrera SDP 2 21 S C Johnson HOU 2N 1 3 J Bruce CIN O 36 O L Morrison FLA 2 6 O C Young ARI 2 15 O R Gload PHI 2N 1 1 M DeRosa SF 2 16 2/O S Pearce PIT 2 1 1 J Bay NYM 2 28 O T Gwynn LAD 2N 5 O E Velez LAD 2 2 O J Hanrahan WAS 2N 2 P J Happ HOU O 17 P J Johnson FLA O 27 P J Karstens PIT 2N 0 P R Lopez ATL 2N 5 P E Mujica FLA 2N 0 P S Olsen PIT 2N 1 P B Zito SFG O 11 P J Ely LAD 2N 8 P B Lincoln PIT 2N 11 P
I used the Baseball Prospectus fantasy rankings and recommended dollar values as a guide through the process. Bruce and Sandoval were two I wanted to keep but they seemed too expensive. I was right about Bruce (went for $24), not so much on Sandoval(went for $26).
- Rickie Weeks (2B) $20 - BP had him at $18
- Chris Johnson(CI) $11 - could care less abot him, but BP had him at $14, so seemed like value. I'm already regretting it.
- Logan Morrison (OF) $6 - seems to be somewhat of a forgotten prospect this year, well until he started lighting it up in April. $6 was too much of a bargain for an OF with a regular job.
- Chris Young(OF) $15 - power and speed and a $23 suggested value
- J. Johnson(P) $27 - one of my favorite pitchers
- Hanrahan(P) $12 - seemed like what closers were worth
That's $91, leaving me $179 to fill 18 spots. I decided I'd like to go about $180 on hitters and $90 on pitchers. I'd like to say I had a strategy beyond that, but as you'll see, I did not.
To the draft in the order I got them:
- Hanley Ramirez (SS) $42 - I made some runs at Votto, Halladay Cliff Lee , Soto and McCann before this and BP had him at $37. He ended up being the 2nd most expensive player to go in the draft behind Pujols at $43 (Votto was third at $41). I figure it's harder to find a shortstop.
- Chipper Jones(3B) $22 - Meh, BP had him at $13 and by this point their one league value for players was generally being outbid by $8-$10. I was hoping to keep it under $18, but alas let the auction get the best of me. Ian Stewart just went for $16 and I wasn't sure any other good third basemen were left. I should have kept bidding up Stewart, but for some reason I thought Stewart's injury was more serious. Then of course Stewart seems to be fighting for playing time under Tracy, so maybe this will work out still.
- Starlin Castro(MI) $22 - BP had him at $19, so I was willing to go up to $25 here. I get him for two years with a third year option at $10 more, so seemed like good value.
- Alfonso Soriano(OF) $15 - If he can steal a few bases this year, he still has 20 home run pop. Marlon Byrd went for $17 the pick after, so I felt much better after that.
- Stephen Strasburg(P) $7 - That means $7 next year and $17 the
following year. I also made a run at Johan Santana but my budget was dwindling by that point and more worried about Santana's shoulder surgery then Strasburg's TJ surgery.
- Javier Vazquez(P) $13 - Well I know he'll be pitching in a friendly park at least, so far he's been pretty terrible.
- Matt Garza(P) $8 - That seemed like a steal to me with most #2/#3 starters going over $10. It was around this point that I had calculated how much I could afford on each pitcher and hitter and was looking to not spend too abundantly over that average.
- Todd Helton(1B) $5 - one of the last first basemen left and they were
all going for over $10. At the very least he'll help my OBP.
- Kerry Wood(P) $3 - high K's and next in line for saves as most of the closers were gone by then.
- Aaron Harang(P) $6 - like my other league, looking for the Petco bounce back.
- Domonic Brown(OF) $7 - I'm not sure when he'll be back and if he'll play much this year with the Phillies, but seemed like a good shot beyond this season.
- Jonathan LucRoy (C) $4 - broken finger shouldn't linger and in a good lineup with a little home run pwer
- Bill Hall(2B, 3B, OF) $7 - Plays a bunch of spots and hopefully some home runs with the Crawford boxes.
- Humberto Quintero (C) $3 - Having to carry 2 catcher spots is 'effin brutal.
- Sergio Romo (P) $1 - siphon off some saves until Brian Wilson is back, which happened sooner than I hoped and he didn't get any.
- Russell Branyan (UT) $5 - a few garbage home runs and I don't think Juan Miranda is all that secure with the first base job.
- Andrew Cashner (P) $5 - not a lot of folks had money left and at the least the upside is high and hopefully the K's. A good keeper option for next year even if the injury lingers.
- Mike Adams (P) $1 - could be next in line for saves if Bell gets hurt and tons of strikeouts.
There's a $100 free agent budget to work with during the season and a $330 in-season salary cap to try and make things interesting. My final roster with a * indicating disabled list and I'll have to find someone on the waiver wire.
LuCroy*, Quintero, Helton, Weeks, H. Ramirez, C. Jones, Castro (MI), C. Johnson (CI), Morrison, C. Young, Soriano, B. Hall, D. Brown*, R. Branyan (UT).
J. Johnson, J. Vazquez, M. Garza, A. Harang, A. Cashner, S. Strasburg*, J. Hanrahan, S. Romo, M. Adams, K. Wood
As you can see, my pitching staff is a hot mess. I don't really have enough closers for saves and not enough good starters for wins. My K's and WHIP should be alright. Remarkably I am in second place right now without Hanley doing anything.
Some players I had proposed or made strong runs at:
- R. Halladay - went for $36
- B. McCann - went for $23
- Geovany Soto - went for $18
- Cliff Lee - went for $33
- Joey Votto (nominated by me) - went for $41
- Chris Iannatta - went for $17
- Pablo Sandoval (nominated by me) - went for $26
- Zack Greinke - went for $29
- Carlos Pena - went for $25
- Tommy Hanson - went for $23
- Lance Berkman (nominated by me) - $16
- Yovani Gallardo (nominated by me) - $23
- Jay Bruce - $24
- Chris Carpenter (nominated by me) - $24
- Ubaldo Jimenez - $21
- Brad Hawpe (nominated by me) - went for $12
- Ryan Franklin went for $13
- Leo Nunez - went for $13
- Francisco Cordero - went for $16
- Adam LaRoche - went for $16
- Kosuke Fukudome (nominated by me) -$7
- Todd Helton ((nominated by me) - and got him for $5
- Sean Burnett (nominated by me) - $4 (I should have kept bidding on him)
- Quintero, Romo, Branyan and Adams were all also nominated by me and I won the bids.
Happ and Jiminez to play in the AFL. Baseball is the best.
You magnificent Bastardo!
Difference is LaStella sucks, and Chapman doesn't
My guy Addy
he's attempting a comeback (or he's just very bored) and playing indie ball in the atlantic league...short-lived-cub brad snyder is also on his team.
very boring numbers for a guy with his experience in indie ball, though not bad numbers...probably not enough to get him a minor league deal at his age (33)
there goes heyward's gold glove win. bench him and bring up matt murton.
felt like 36 for sure....
Didn't LaHair hit 36 before the All Star Break? Then none after.
@CarrieMuskat 41s41 seconds ago Bryant is 1st #Cubs player to top 35 HRs since Aramis Ramirez hit 38 in 2006
surprised me, thought Soriano may have or Rizzo...maybe LaHair or Schierholtz too :)
Twitter tells me more boo's than cheers for LaStella.
What was the reaction in Chapman's first game? I was there about a week later and it was all cheers.
Not that the situations are a one-to-one, but...damn, priorities 'Murica.
bryant is good at doing home rons.
Word is Patton is refusing to report to Des Moines.
lastella's not lost the ability to play 2nd...that's for sure.
I'd wait til after our last election if I was you.