Angels in the Outfield and Angel on the Mound at Diablo Park
Los Angeles Angels LHP Scott Kazmir (lower back strain) threw 3.2 IP of shutout ball (three hits, no walks and four strikeouts, 2/5 GO/FO) on a 45-pitch rehab assignment, and the EXST Angels cruised to a 5-1 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Diablo Park in Tempe this morning.
For all you Angels fans out there, Kazmir looked very good, threw all of his pitches for strikes, and reported no back pain or stiffness.
Angel Guzman (2010 shoulder surgery rehab), RHP Jon Nagel (post-2010 non-TJS elbow surgery rehab), RHP Justin Bristow (2010 non-TJS elbow surgery rehab), and RHP Su-Min Jung (unknown-type injury rehab) were among the five pitchers employed by the Cubs today. Guzman struggled to throw his fastball for strikes, but he had good velocity (92 MPH) on his heater, and both his change-up and curve looked OK. He allowed one run (earned) in one inning of work (16 pitches – 8 strikes), issuing a lead-off walk, with the run coming around to score after a stolen base and two ground outs.
The Cubs scored their only run in the top of the 6th. Wes Darvill led-off with a line-drive single to CF, and then with two outs, Reggie Golden (after striking out in both of his two previous ABs) hammered an opposite-field triple into the RF corner to score Darvill from 1st base.
The Angels put the game away in the bottom of the 7th off 19-year old Korean "bonus baby" RHP Jin-Young Kim, piecing together three singles, a wild pitch, and a costly Xavier Batista error to plate three runs (albeit only one of the runs was earned).
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Luis Flores has completed his injury rehab assignment and has been assigned to Peoria. (Flores suffered a concussion last month in Minor League Camp).
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH #1: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-7)
1b. Johan DeJesus, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
2. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-4 (K, F-8, 1B, P-3, R)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 6-3, K, 1B)
4. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 0-4 (K, F-7, F-9, 4-6-3 DP)
5. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (K, K, 3B, F-9, RBI)
6. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (F-7, F-8, K)
7. Oliver Zapata, CF: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
8. Vismeldy Bieneme, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K)
9a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-2 (1B, 6-3)
9b. Max Kwan, C: 0-1 (F-9)
10. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-3 (P-3, K, F-7)
1. Angel Guzman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 16 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Jon Nagel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Justin Bristow: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 28 pitches (17 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Su-Min Jung: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 24 pitches (14 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Jin-Young Kim: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (1 ER),0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 43 pitches (29 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
1B Xavier Batista E3 – bobbled ground ball allowing batter to reach base safely – eventually resulted in two unearned runs scoring
Yaniel Cabeza: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.