Angels in the Outfield and Angel on the Mound at Diablo Park
Los Angeles Angels LHP Scott Kazmir (lower back strain) threw 3.2 IP of shutout ball (three hits, no walks and four strikeouts, 2/5 GO/FO) on a 45-pitch rehab assignment, and the EXST Angels cruised to a 5-1 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Diablo Park in Tempe this morning.
For all you Angels fans out there, Kazmir looked very good, threw all of his pitches for strikes, and reported no back pain or stiffness.
Angel Guzman (2010 shoulder surgery rehab), RHP Jon Nagel (post-2010 non-TJS elbow surgery rehab), RHP Justin Bristow (2010 non-TJS elbow surgery rehab), and RHP Su-Min Jung (unknown-type injury rehab) were among the five pitchers employed by the Cubs today. Guzman struggled to throw his fastball for strikes, but he had good velocity (92 MPH) on his heater, and both his change-up and curve looked OK. He allowed one run (earned) in one inning of work (16 pitches – 8 strikes), issuing a lead-off walk, with the run coming around to score after a stolen base and two ground outs.
The Cubs scored their only run in the top of the 6th. Wes Darvill led-off with a line-drive single to CF, and then with two outs, Reggie Golden (after striking out in both of his two previous ABs) hammered an opposite-field triple into the RF corner to score Darvill from 1st base.
The Angels put the game away in the bottom of the 7th off 19-year old Korean "bonus baby" RHP Jin-Young Kim, piecing together three singles, a wild pitch, and a costly Xavier Batista error to plate three runs (albeit only one of the runs was earned).
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Luis Flores has completed his injury rehab assignment and has been assigned to Peoria. (Flores suffered a concussion last month in Minor League Camp).
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH #1: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-7)
1b. Johan DeJesus, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
2. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-4 (K, F-8, 1B, P-3, R)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 6-3, K, 1B)
4. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 0-4 (K, F-7, F-9, 4-6-3 DP)
5. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (K, K, 3B, F-9, RBI)
6. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (F-7, F-8, K)
7. Oliver Zapata, CF: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
8. Vismeldy Bieneme, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K)
9a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-2 (1B, 6-3)
9b. Max Kwan, C: 0-1 (F-9)
10. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-3 (P-3, K, F-7)
1. Angel Guzman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 16 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Jon Nagel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Justin Bristow: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 28 pitches (17 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Su-Min Jung: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 24 pitches (14 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Jin-Young Kim: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (1 ER),0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 43 pitches (29 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
1B Xavier Batista E3 – bobbled ground ball allowing batter to reach base safely – eventually resulted in two unearned runs scoring
Yaniel Cabeza: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s