Cubs May Put "GO" in Chicago, but A's Put "GO" in Papago
Making his second injury rehab appearance in four days, Todd Wellemeyer threw two perfect innings (31 pitches – 17 strikes) with three strikeouts (all swinging), but the EXST Athletics scored at least one run off each of the other four EXST Cubs pitchers who followed en route to a 7-2 victory in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Connie Mack Field at the Papago Park Baseball Complex in Phoenix this morning.
The game was extended an extra inning to allow Cubs and A's pitchers to get their scheduled work.
Wellemeyer missed most of Spring Training with a sore hip, and he had indicated that he might even consider retiring if the pain persisted. But with the way he has thrown (so far) in his first two Extended Spring Training rehab outings, I think he probably made the right decision when he chose to keep pitching. He still throws hard, and while he may not be an “ace” (or anything close to one), he certainly isn’t any worse than a lot of other pitchers (including some pitching for the Cubs) who are throwing in MLB games these days.
21-year old RHP Su-Min Jung followed Wellemeyer to the mound, and while he was hit fairly hard at times (allowing three runs—two earned--on three singles, a double, and a triple), the Korean youngster was able to throw three innings and close to 60 pitches, so he could be about ready to complete his rehab assignment and get moved up to either Peoria or Daytona, if the Cubs choose to do so.
RHP Austin Reed (Cubs 2010 12th round draft pick out of Rancho Cucamonga HS - Rancho Cucamonga, CA) had a poor outing, walking five A’s hitters in just two innings (throwing 48 pitches, but only 22 strikes). The 19-year old Reed has electric stuff, but he also occasionally suffers from bouts of wildness, as was the case today.
The Cubs scoring consisted entirely of a Jesus Morelli solo HR (his 2nd HR of EXST), and an Oliver Zapata triple followed by an RBI GO.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF-DH: 2-4 (3-1, 1B, K, 1B)
2. Oliver Zapata, RF-CF: 1-4 (F-8, F-8, 3B, K, R)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 4-3, 4-3, RBI, SB)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 1-4 (5-3, K, 2B, K)
5. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-3 (BB, HR, F-9, 5-3, R, RBI)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 5-3, K, 1B)
7. Max Kwan, DH #2: 1-3 (K, BB 1B, K)
8. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 4-6 FC)
9. Hector Suarez, C: 0-3 (F-9, FC+E4, 5-3)
10. Dustin Harrington, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 5-3, 1B)
11a. Vismeldy Bieneme, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Marco Hernandez, PH: 0-1 (K)
11c. Gregori Gonzalez, RF: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
1. Todd Wellemeyer: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Su-Min Jung: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 56 pitches (34 strikes), 6/3 GO/FO
3. Austin Reed: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 5 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 48 pitches (22 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
4. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 20 pitches (13 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Casey Harman: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 30 pitches (20 strikes)
1. 3B Dustin Geiger E5 – throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run
2. LF Jesus Morelli E7 – dropped line drive allowing batter to reach base safely and runner who was on 2nd base to score unearned run
Hector Suarez: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70’s