Even Angels Evil Twins Can't Prevent Victory at Diablo
The EXST Angels banged-out 13 hits including four doubles and two triples en route to an 8-4 victory over the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park in Tempe.
Kyung-Min Na provided most of the offense for the Cubs, collecting three hits (two singles and a double) and three RBI.
Augie Ojeda continued his rehab assignment, getting five more AB (one in each of the first five innings), and (once again) going 0-5 (line-drive out to RF that was turned into a DP, pop-out to the first-baseman in foul territory, an inning-ending 6-4-3 GIDP, a called third strike, and a ground out.
The game was full of errors and misplays of all kinds.
The Angels had five runners thrown out on the bases (one trying to score from 2nd base on a single to CF, one for missing 2nd base on what should have been a triple, one at 3rd base trying to stretch a double into a triple when he slowed down to slide, one picked-off 1st base, and one thrown out trying to steal 3rd base with no outs).
Meanwhile, one Cub base-runner was doubled-off 2nd base on a line-drive out to RF (and it wasn’t a hit & run, either), and another was picked-off 2nd base with Cubs slugger Reggie Golden at the plate representing the tying run.
Also, Cub defenders committed three errors (one throwing, one fielding, and one Catcher’s Interference), and allowed the Angels to score a runner from 2nd base on a bunt. In the immortal words of Jack Benny, “Follow this”... Runner at 2nd base and no outs... Angel batter lays a bunt down the third base line... Cubs let the ball roll, hoping it will go foul... It does not... Cubs just stand around marveling at their bad luck as the Angel hitter takes second base (nobody covering) and runner who was on second base scores (nobody covering home, either).
Needless to say, if somebody had to miss an Extended Spring Training game, this was the one to miss.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
NOTE: Augie Ojeda was a DH and had five AB (going 0-5), batting third in the top of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings, and first in the top of the 4th and 5th innings.
X. Augie Ojeda, DH #1: 0-5 (L-9 DP, P-3, 6-4-3 DP, K, 4-1)
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3, 2B, 3 RBI, PO)
2. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH#2: 1-4 (4-U FC, 1B, F-8, K, SB)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #3: 0-2 (F-7, L-5)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-3 (3-U, K, K)
5. Dustin Harrington, 2B: 1-3 (F-9, F-7,1B, R)
6. Wilson Contreras, 1B: 0-2 (F-9, K, BB, R)
7a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-2 (1B, 6-3)
7b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FINAL TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8b. Brian Inoa, DH-C: 1-2 (F-7, 1B, R)
9. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-2 (F-8, BB, 5-3)
10. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-4)
11. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-1 (3B, BB, BB, R)
1. Willengton Cruz: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Dustin Fitzgerald: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 1 PO, 48 pitches (28 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
3. Alvido Jimenez: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 31 pitches (15 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 32 pitches (18 strikes), 0/5 GO/FO
1. 3B Dustin Geiger - E5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
3. C Brian Inoa - E2 (Catcher’s Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
1. Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
2. Brian Inoa: 1 E (see above)
1. CF Kyung-Min Na threw out runner 8-2 trying to score from 2nd base on line-drive single to CF
2. RF Reggie Golden helped to throw out runner 9-4-5 trying to stretch a double into a triple
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s