Brett Jackson Back in the Saddle at Fitch Ranch
The EXST Cubs rallied for three runs in the bottom of the 9th to tie the EXST Diamondbacks 6-6, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game played this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs did have a chance to win the game, but Reggie Golden popped out to the first-baseman to end the bottom of the 9th, leaving the potential winning run stranded at 3rd base.
Tennessee OF (and Cubs 2009 1st round draft pick and #1 position player prospect) Brett Jackson saw his first game action since going on the Smokies DL with a finger injury on May 12th, getting four plate appearances as a DH, one in each of the first four innings.
B-Jax ripped a line-drive single to RF in his first AB in the bottom of the 1st inning, grounded out 4-3 in the bottom of the 2nd, struck out swinging in the bottom of the 3rd, and hammered a triple off the right-centerfield fence (near HR) in the bottom of the 4th (and eventually scored on a Pin-Chieh Chen GO). Based on how he swung the bat today (very well), I doubt that he will be down here much longer.
LHP (ex-OF) Kyler Burke got the start for the Cubs and worked two strong innings (19 pitches - 16 strikes) allowing just a lead-off single on his first pitch to the first batter he faced, before retiring the next six in order, including three on strikeouts (two swinging).
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only)
NOTE: Brett Jackson was a DH and batted 3rd in the bottom of the 1st inning, 2nd in the bottom of the 2nd, and 1st in the bottom of the 3rd and 4th innings
X. Brett Jackson, DH #1: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, K, 3B, R)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 2-4 (3-U, 4-3, 3B, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
2a. Augie Ojeda, 2B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, F-8, R)
2b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: NO AB
2c. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Marco Hernandez, DH #2: 1-2 (K, 1B, R, RBI)
4a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
4b. Gregori Gonzalez, DH #3: 0-1 (6-3, F-7 SF, RBI)
5. Jesus Morelli, LF: 3-4 (1B, 2B, 6-3, 1B, RBI, SB)
6. Brandon May, 3B: 0-4 (6-4-3 DP, K, 6-3, K)
7. Brian Inoa, C: 1-4 (F-8, 4-3, K, 1B, RBI)
8. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-4 (F-8, K, 3-U, P-3)
9. Rafael Valdes, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 6-3, 1B)
10. Xavier Batista, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-4 FC)
11. Carlos Romero, DH #4: 1-3 (K, 4-6 FC, 1B, 2 R)
1. Kyler Burke: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 19 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 32 pitches (19 strikes), 0/4 GO/FO
3. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 17 pitches (9 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 42 pitches (28 strikes), 4/5 GO/FO
5. Santo Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
Brian Inoa 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.
2016 .607 ops
Plus bad fielding
taylor davis moved to AAA to take the place of that other catcher guy dude person.
Who's Mr. June-August? Can't be Jorge "Mr. 1.705 Playoff OPS " Soler, can it?
Chesny Young 4-5 tonight for Tenn. Now hitting .410 with an OBP over .500.
Looks like Soler has decided to take the "can't play in the cold" thing head-on. No longer wearing the cold-weather under gear.
Cubs record for last 3 months of regular season baseball: 59 - 23. (Aug, Sept/Oct and April, with one still to go).
That's a .720 winning percentage and projects to 117 wins over 162 games.
That's a lot of dance parties.
So where does Warren G rank in the list of terrible "Take me out to the ballgame" renditions? It's gotta be near the top.