Geiger Blast Nets Cubs Split at Salt River Fields
Dustin Geiger slugged a grand slam HR to cap a five-run 2nd inning as one squad of EXST Cubs drilled one squad of EXST Rockies 10-4 on Red Mountain Field, but the other squad of Rockies pounded out 17 hits (including three triples, two doubles, and a three-run HR) and thumped the other squad of Cubs 12-1 on Dust Storm Field, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Memorial Day doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 2-4 (K, 3B, K, 2B, 2 R)
1b. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-1 (F-9)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B-3B: 2-5 (5-3, 1B+E7, 6-3, 2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
3a. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 3-4 (1B, P-2, 3B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
3b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-1 (K)
4a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-4 (F-7, F-7, 1B, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
4b. Carlos Romero, C: 0-1 (K)
5. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-5 (1B, 6-3, 1B, K, 6-3, 2 R)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-8, K, BB, R)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 2-5 (1B, 1B+E5, FC, 5-3, F-9, R, RBI)
8. Max Kwan, DH: 2-5 (K, 5-3, 1B, K, 1B, RBI)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-5 (HR, K, L-6, 6-3, K, R, 4 RBI)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Luis Liria: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 71 pitches (42 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Starling Peralta: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 40 pitches (30 strikes), 0/7 GO/FO
3. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (6 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Jeffry Antigua: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 5 pitches (5 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (dropped pop-up in short RF allowing batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 4-6 FC)
2. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (1-U, 6-4 FC, 4-6-3 DP, 1B)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-9, K)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 0-4 (F-9, K, K, 5-3)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-9, 3B, 1-3, R)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-4 (F-8, 4-U FC, 5-3, 4-3, RBI)
7. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
8. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-3 (F-7, 5-3, 1B)
9. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-3 (2B, F-7, F-8)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 9 H, 8 R (8 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 63 pitches (42 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
NOTE: 1st inning was stopped with one out when Cruz reached max pitch limit for that inning
2. Joe Zeller: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
3. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 32 pitches (18 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 19 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Before Wood,Strop, Rondon yesterday
Elias: 99 yrs. since a bullpen threw at least 7 perfect innings. last time 6/23/17 by Boston. Ernie Shore retired last 26 after Babe Ruth ejected for arguing balls and strikes after walking lead off hitter. Runner was caught stealing.
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not ten days including the day the player was Designated for Assignment, it's ten day from the day the player was Designated for Assignment.
So because Neil Ramirez was Designated for Assignment on 5/21, the deadline to either assign the player to another club (MLB or minor league) or release the player is 5/31 (today).
AZBOBBOP: No updates.
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname
Mike Olt lives!
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.
wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.
And stay off the keyboard too
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.