Cub Bats Mostly Silent at Talking Stick
Micah Gibbs tripled and singled, scored a run, and drove-in another, but the Rockies scored five unanswered runs to overcome an early 2-1 deficit and defeated the Cubs 6-2 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Zeke DeVoss, CF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
1b. Jeffrey Baez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
2a. Danny Lockhart, SS: 1-3 (1B, E-5, 5-3, CS)
2b. Mark Malave, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
3. Rafael Lopez, DH-C: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, L-6)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, F-7)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
6. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-2 (HBP, 6-3, 6-3, R)
7. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 2-3 (3B, 4-3, 1B, R, RBI)
8a. Justin Marra, C: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, RBI, SB)
8b. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF-DH: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, 4-6 FC, CS)
10. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (FC, F-7, 5-3, CS)
1. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 24 pitches (12 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Christopher Pieters: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 29 pitches (13 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Alexander Santana: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Tayler Scott: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (18 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Michael Jensen: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
6. Tarlandus Mitchell: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
C Rafael Lopez - E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on SB allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
1. Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
2. Rafael Lopez: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 70’s
I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable
Did you expect anything different?
Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?
men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.
cubs lose :(
UH OH! RALLY TIME!
Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce
Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.
The use of Peralta in any
semblance of a high leveragesituation is questionable at best.
fixed that for ya.
The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.
make that just peralta...
a.soriano new OF fielding coach?
Why is Almora jumping up on catches?
"Tommy La Stella (hamstring) will remain on his minor league rehab assignment through at least Friday."
should be an interesting roster shuffle once these guys trickle back in. i imagine patton or peralta are on the hot seat for la stella's return.
6 pitches, 2 run lead.
So am I. Point remains.
Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.