Your Weekend Open Thread

I'm gonna attempt to write this on my IPhone. I won't be able to link to articles, so you'll have to take my word for it. Let's see what happens...I'm also going to leave in most of the autocorrects just for giggles.

- Sandy Alomar Jr. had his interview yesterday and Bruce Levine considers him the front runner only because he's not sure if Mike Maddux would take the job. Jed Hoyer says they're happy with the 4 candidates so far and it's unlikely, but possible they'd bring in another. And it's really 5 candidates as Terry Francona still seems a real possibility.

- Theo has reached out to Carlos Zambrano over the phone and the two may meet sometime after the GM meetings.

- Kerry Wood has had preliminary talks with the new front office crew. No details though on what he's expecting or what the Cubs will offer.

- The Miami Marlins unveiled their new logo and uniforms last night and would love for Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes and Albert Pujols to be wearing them next season. They'be allegedly already offered competitive contracts to each of them.

- Rumor on Rotoworld that that Padres would listen to offers on Chase Headley. No idea what they may be expecting to get, but certainly a guy the Cubs should look into.

- Another guy the Cubs should consider s Grady Sizemore who seems willing to take a 1-year deal and try to build up his value for a bigger payday after 2012. I'm not sure what type of real he's willing to take, Hutu but he could make sense in any of the OF spots. If he's looking for a center field gig, I'm certainly happy to trade Byrd or move hi. To the bench or a corner spot if absolutely necessary. If you're worried about blocking Brett Jackson, I'd be more worried about avoiding Super 2 status and not calling him up until June. At that point, injuries, production and a variety of other things. Oils happen to open up a spot.

Enjoy the weekend, Bears 34 - Lions 32.

Comments

For now, sources say the Padres will be reluctant to move Headley.

Rotoworld probably picked up on the Morosi/Robothal article.

AFL:Junior Lake stole another base (18 for 18), playing LF.
Vitter is DH, LeMahieu is 3B.

Z gets his 2nd start on Saturday for Caribes.

initial talks between the Cubs and Kerry Wood are underway, with the free agent reliever expected to return to the team.

Wrongway has his weekend "whispers" article up...

Will Michael Bowden follow Theo Epstein from Boston to Chicago? The Red Sox's first-round pick in 2005 from Aurora's Waubonsie Valley, Bowden never had a good look as a starter with the Red Sox. The Cubs need guys like him.

...(Baseball reference.com estimates payroll...the total for players under contract, estimates at deals for arbitration-eligible players and minimum salaries to fill out the roster, is $107.8 million for the Cardinals. So clearly other players will have to be dealt if Pujols does return.

also Phillies are on Scott Boras' shit-list over his client Ryan Madson near 4/44 and quick rebound to the Papelbon 4/50 signing.

They're on his shit list... until they call him about another client.