Volstad Goes Four at Fitch & Castro Leads Cubs to Victory at HoHoKam
Chris Volstad threw four innings (67 pitches), allowing two runs (only one earned) on six hits (all singles), with no walks and eight strikeouts, and Jeffrey Baez singled twice, tripled, drove-in a run, and stole a base, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Despite allowing six hits, Volstad had a very impressive outing, throwing strikes and getting lots of ground balls (4/0 GO/FO and five ground ball singles).
Later in the day and a half-mile up Center Street, Iowa Cubs LHP Travis Wood threw six solid innings of one-run ball (76 pitches – 49 strikes), Starlin Castro hammered a 1st inning two-run home run off the scoreboard, Alfredo Amezaga clubbed a solo HR, and Joe Mather laced an RBI double into the LF corner and scored on a Darwin Barney RBI single, leading the Cubs to a 5-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers in what was the Cubs’ final Cactus League Spring Training game of 2012.
Rafael Dolis labored through his one inning of relief, walking two and allowing a two-out RBI double, but Shawn Camp pitched the 9th and notched the save in typical Shawn Camp fashion, allowing a hard-hit single through the box to open the inning, before inducing a 6-4-3 DP grounder, and getting the final out of the game on a check-swing strike three.
Because a half-dozen EXST Cubs position players were at the MLB game, the intrasquad game did not have enough players to stock two full lineups, so Rock Shoulders was the DH for both squads, and players from Squad “B” rotated defensively at 3B for Squad “A.”.
Here is the abridged box score from the intrasquad game at Fitch Park:
NOTE: Rock Shoulders was DH for both teams and had five PA (total), and SQUAD “B” players rotated defensively at 3B for SQUAD “A”
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 3-U, BB, K, SB)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-5 (K, 4-6 FC, K, F-8, F-8, 2 SB)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (K, K, 3B, K, R)
4. Anthony Giansanti, C: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, K, R)
5. Rock Shoulders, DH: 1-4 (FC, 1B, 3-6-1 DP, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-3 (3-6 DP, 1B, BB, 1-3)
7. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, K, 3B, RBI, SB)
8. Luis Acosta, SS: 0-4 (K, K, 6-3, K)
9. NO 3B IN LINEUP
NOTE: Jair Bogaerts played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th innings, Danny Lockhart played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 2nd and 6th innings, and Carlos Penalver played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 4th inning
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (1-3, BB, K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd & 4th TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 5-3 SH, BB, L-8, 1B, R, SB)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, BB, 4-3, R, SB)
4. Ryan Cuneo, LF: 2-5 (E-4, P-4, 4-3, 1B, 3B, R, RBI, SB)
5. Delbis Arcila, RF: 1-4 (BB, K, 3B, 4-3, 6-3, RBI)
6. Garrett Schlecht, CF: 2-5 (1B, K, K, F-7, 2B)
7. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 6-3, 1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd & 4th TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C: DID NOT BAT – PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST FOUR TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Rock Shoulders, DH: 0-1 (K)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Zach Cates: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (0 ER), 5 BB, 3 K, 73 pitches (36 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Alberto Cabrera: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (12 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Sheldon McDonald: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 19 pitches (15 strikes), 1/0 G)/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Chris Volstad: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 GIDP, 67 pitches (49 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 24 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (6 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Ian Dickson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Anthony Giansanti: 0-3 CS
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-4 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70’s
Thanks guys! Pretty sure Bill Murray says thanks too.
Awesome job, Tim!
Outfielder Chris Young signs "multiyear" contract w BoSox.
Wow, Dombrowski is a buffoon
Not sure I understand the logic, especially for more than one year.
well, that's the past. we're left with the present. even though that past you're seeing is some weird black/white either/or where hybridization of ideas isn't allowed...nonetheless...
the present is ice skating, movies, concerts, beer gardens, hotels, office space and other wonderful baseball activities based around a young, successful baseball team.
All money making ventures, which would have been offset with a reasonable TV contract that previous ownership screwed up
Nah, I'll probably just contemplate how they should've done a Padres-style all-in plan.
of course not. maybe go ice skating and think about it a while. make advanced reservations at the hotel they're starting construction on. check new releases for possible entertainment from the movie screens they want installed. think about renting an office in the new office spaces. write a letter to the cubs requesting your favorite beer be added to the beer garden. lobby your favorite band to play the outdoor venue.
...and in between that maybe they can find $40-50m to invest in the product that all of this revolves around.
let's not get caught up on phrasing for a setup and lose the gist of the post. i don't care what one wants to call the playoff exit.
+they lost their playoff attempt
there. now we can focus on something other than not liking the tone of a line that's setting up a point.
I didn't like the entire post, if that helps.
Making the NLCS with a young team = "crapping out of the playoffs with a young team."
I'm guessing 3/30 and all the two foot long hot dogs you can eat didn't work
Yes! In a 12-way tie for first!