Volstad Goes Four at Fitch & Castro Leads Cubs to Victory at HoHoKam
Chris Volstad threw four innings (67 pitches), allowing two runs (only one earned) on six hits (all singles), with no walks and eight strikeouts, and Jeffrey Baez singled twice, tripled, drove-in a run, and stole a base, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Despite allowing six hits, Volstad had a very impressive outing, throwing strikes and getting lots of ground balls (4/0 GO/FO and five ground ball singles).
Later in the day and a half-mile up Center Street, Iowa Cubs LHP Travis Wood threw six solid innings of one-run ball (76 pitches – 49 strikes), Starlin Castro hammered a 1st inning two-run home run off the scoreboard, Alfredo Amezaga clubbed a solo HR, and Joe Mather laced an RBI double into the LF corner and scored on a Darwin Barney RBI single, leading the Cubs to a 5-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers in what was the Cubs’ final Cactus League Spring Training game of 2012.
Rafael Dolis labored through his one inning of relief, walking two and allowing a two-out RBI double, but Shawn Camp pitched the 9th and notched the save in typical Shawn Camp fashion, allowing a hard-hit single through the box to open the inning, before inducing a 6-4-3 DP grounder, and getting the final out of the game on a check-swing strike three.
Because a half-dozen EXST Cubs position players were at the MLB game, the intrasquad game did not have enough players to stock two full lineups, so Rock Shoulders was the DH for both squads, and players from Squad “B” rotated defensively at 3B for Squad “A.”.
Here is the abridged box score from the intrasquad game at Fitch Park:
NOTE: Rock Shoulders was DH for both teams and had five PA (total), and SQUAD “B” players rotated defensively at 3B for SQUAD “A”
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 3-U, BB, K, SB)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-5 (K, 4-6 FC, K, F-8, F-8, 2 SB)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (K, K, 3B, K, R)
4. Anthony Giansanti, C: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, K, R)
5. Rock Shoulders, DH: 1-4 (FC, 1B, 3-6-1 DP, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-3 (3-6 DP, 1B, BB, 1-3)
7. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, K, 3B, RBI, SB)
8. Luis Acosta, SS: 0-4 (K, K, 6-3, K)
9. NO 3B IN LINEUP
NOTE: Jair Bogaerts played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th innings, Danny Lockhart played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 2nd and 6th innings, and Carlos Penalver played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 4th inning
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (1-3, BB, K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd & 4th TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 5-3 SH, BB, L-8, 1B, R, SB)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, BB, 4-3, R, SB)
4. Ryan Cuneo, LF: 2-5 (E-4, P-4, 4-3, 1B, 3B, R, RBI, SB)
5. Delbis Arcila, RF: 1-4 (BB, K, 3B, 4-3, 6-3, RBI)
6. Garrett Schlecht, CF: 2-5 (1B, K, K, F-7, 2B)
7. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 6-3, 1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd & 4th TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C: DID NOT BAT – PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST FOUR TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Rock Shoulders, DH: 0-1 (K)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Zach Cates: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (0 ER), 5 BB, 3 K, 73 pitches (36 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Alberto Cabrera: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (12 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Sheldon McDonald: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 19 pitches (15 strikes), 1/0 G)/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Chris Volstad: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 GIDP, 67 pitches (49 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 24 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (6 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Ian Dickson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Anthony Giansanti: 0-3 CS
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-4 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70’s
I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable
Did you expect anything different?
Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?
men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.
cubs lose :(
UH OH! RALLY TIME!
Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce
Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.
The use of Peralta in any
semblance of a high leveragesituation is questionable at best.
fixed that for ya.
The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.
make that just peralta...
a.soriano new OF fielding coach?
Why is Almora jumping up on catches?
"Tommy La Stella (hamstring) will remain on his minor league rehab assignment through at least Friday."
should be an interesting roster shuffle once these guys trickle back in. i imagine patton or peralta are on the hot seat for la stella's return.
6 pitches, 2 run lead.
So am I. Point remains.
Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.