Cubs Minor League Recap for April 5, 2012

A screen grab from my First inning player page, keeping track of the players on my top 16 list.

As for the games, you can find the results here at their organizational page for the Cubs.

@Iowa 5 - Round Rock 3; Rizzo, Jackson, Campana with 2 hits each and a stolen base each. W. Castillo hit twice by a pitch and with a catcher's interference call against him. R. Wells started and got the win going 6 innings and giving up 3 runs. Corpas with 2 shutout innings and S. Maine with the save.

Tennessee 4 - @Chattanooga 1; N. Struck goes 6 IP, 10 K, 1 BB, 1 ER, 4 H; Adduci, Watkins, Ha and Bour with multi-hit games and Bour with a HR. F.Batista got the save(1 IP/1K/0 BB) and K. Rhoderick a hold (2 IP/2 K/0 BB).

@Brevard County 11 - Daytona 4; Cubs lose to Brewers prospect and #12 overall draftee from last season T. Jungmann; Torreyes, Silva and Alcantara with multi-hit games. Loosen, Wallach and Kirk all tagged for multiple runs.

Peoria 5 - @Beloit 2; M. Jensen throws 5 scoreless innings, K. Burke with a hold and J. Lorick goes 2 innings, gets 3 K's and the save. DeVoss was busy; 1/5 with 3 K's, 1 E and helped turn 2 double plays. Multi-hit games for W. Darvill and Pin-Chieh Chen. Chen tripled and had an outfield assist.

Comments

I had B Jackson leading the team in steals in the survey the other day, so they better get working on that Marlon Byrd trade. But I can wait a week. I see the I Cubs in Round Rock next week and I'd like to see him play first.

I believe that's the deal I suggested over the offseason. Not sure where Lannan fits at this point other than the pen, but his usefulness comes from his ability to pitch innings more than anything.

lannan fits as far away from the cubs as possible.

he gets a lot of positive press for a guy that makes paul maholm look awesome.

Well...he looks a lot like Maholm....meh. Whichever...pass.

Rob -- Thanks for these updates. I am a big fan of our minor league and, with the look of this year's Cubs, this might be the most exciting part of the season (at least until Jackson and Rizzo get to Chicago).

Does anyone know if the San Diego compensation has ever been completed? It was supposed to be before opening day.

Haven't heard anything official yet myself

Your firstinning account is looking much slimmer and more fit than mine.

I need to start trimming my roster.

I needed a cutoff, so top 16 seemed good enough. There's obviously a few interesting guys out there beyond that and I'll mention and add them as I see fit.

Justin Bour, for example, keeps enticing me to think he's someone worth watching although I should know better.

I had that same issue with Bour.

I think I'm at around 50 right now, which is just too much to keep track of in the time I have. I'll probably try to figure out who are the 20 or 25 guys I'm most interested in. I have some guys just because I want to see what they do and not because they are the most interesting prospects--Yao-Lin Wang and Logan Watkins are among that group. They make it hard to cut the numbers down, though, and then I come away from the site with nothing because it's just a jumble.

pardon me if I missed this, but where's Junior Lake and why didn't he play last night?

I think Ariz Phil said he was going to open the year on the 7 day DL with Tenn - back issues? can't remember the specific injury.

Fri, 04/06/2012 - 10:24am — Rob G.

=============================================

ROB G: Junior Lake is on the 7-day DL with a back strain.

I added a DL section to the TCR Depth Chart. yesterday.

---
Padres comp supposed to be done by April 15th but I might be crossing up my organizations and previous articles (Red Sox/Padres).

I found this older tweet from Feb 23rd, CBS/Scott Miller:

Scott [email protected]
Compensation from #Cubs to #Padres for Hoyer will be low-level minor leaguer aand probably happen late spring. Will be b4 opening day.

Supposedly Junior Lake is out with a bad back

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 32 min 8 sec ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

Rob G. 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 2 hours 8 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.

• i do what i want.

i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.

i do what i want.

• I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.

#baseballtalk

BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.

Tito 3 hours 56 min ago view
  • nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?

i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.

btw, he holds runners like shit. he does things with runners i've never seen another pitcher do in my life...even going back before i was born as far as i can tell. would you like to discuss it? that sounds like it could be educational and fun. hit me up, bruh.

• last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.

this year it's likely no one else in the division will win 90, though it's technically possible at this point.

no matter what, this is a special team, though...very well rounded...and should be mostly intact next year with a bonus schwarber. chapman may not be around, but whatever...rondon and crew are capable even if not on chapman's level.

crunch 4 hours 54 sec ago view
  • How well does he hold on runners?

#baseballtalk

Tito 5 hours 55 min ago view
  • It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.

Words I never thought I would type together.

Jackstraw 6 hours 10 min ago view
  • One more victory to ensure a winning season!

• If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 8 hours 27 min ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.

• So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?

jacos 8 hours 31 min ago view
  • TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.

Cubster 9 hours 21 min ago view