Baez & Vogelbach Demolish Giants
Javier Baez slugged a three-run home run, tripled twice, drove-in four runs, and scored three more, Dan Vogelbach crushed a towering two-run home run over the RF screen and onto Camelback Road, and Garrett Schlecht blooped what proved to be a game-winning RBI single to short LF with two outs in the top of the 7th, as the Cubs swept the Giants by scores of 4-3 and 9-3 in an Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
San Francisco Giants 2B Freddie Sanchez (on a rehab assignment at Extended Spring Training) had an RBI double and scored a run for the Giants squad on Field #2, and Brian Nicholson pumped a two-run HR for the Giants squad on Field #1.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-4 (K, F-7, F-8, P-2)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-3 (3-1, 4-3, K)
3a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R, SB)
3b. Luis Acosta, PH: 0-1 (K)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, HR, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5a. Anthony Giansanti, DH #2: 0-2 (E-5, K)
5b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (F-7)
6. Danny Lockhart, SS: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, R, SB)
7a. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (4-6-3 DP, 6-3)
7b. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-1 (6-3)
8. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, HBP, R)
9. Jeffrey Baez, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
10. Garrett Schlecht, DH #3: 1-2 (P-2, BB, 1B, RBI)
11a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: DID NOT BAT – PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
11b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 42 pitches (24 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
3. Sheldon McDonald: 2.0 IP, 3 H 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 29 pitches (23 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Oliver Zapata, LF: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, F-7)
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (BB, F-9, 6-3, 5-3, R)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 3-1, BB, 2B, 2 R)
4. Javier Baez, SS: 3-4 (HR, 3B, 3B, F-7, 3 R, 4 RBI)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, FC, P-6, R, RBI)
6. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (2B, BB, K, 2 R)
7. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, F-8 SF, K, 2 RBI)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (P-2, F-9, P-4)
9. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 6-3)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (2B, K, 3-U)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Tayler Scott: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (11 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Carlos Penalver – E-4 (fielding error on infield single allowed run to score)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname
Mike Olt lives!
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.
wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.
And stay off the keyboard too
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.
hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.
heyward with a bit of starlin castro disease...you're great D dude, but you can't range 200ft in all directions even if you're playing CF.
that said, he almost had it...though zobrist or baez should have had it if heyward wasn't coming on at 100mph.
hammel is quite wild today even if he got the first 2 outs on Ks that were result of swinging through stuff not in the zone.
she did fine, fwiw.
bombs were bursting in the air...ramparts were watched...all that stuff.
zoobrest kissed her afterwards and got about 20lbs of the 100lbs of makeup she was wearing on him.