Concepcion Goes Five But Giants Rally to Edge Cubs
Gerardo Concepcion threw five innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits (all singles) and a walk with four strikeouts and two wild pitches, but the Giants rallied for three runs off two relievers and edged the Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #1 in Scottsdale, AZ.
This was Concepcion’s third Extended Spring Training appearance. He threw 36 pitches in his first outing and 69 in his second, before upping his pitch count to 88 today. Over 11.1 IP at EXST, Concepcion has allowed seven runs (six earned) on 14 hits and four walks, with 11 strikeouts, three wild pitches, and a 10/12 GO/FO.
Concepcion is technically on the Daytona Cubs 7-day Disabled List, but he looks to be 100% healthy (as evidenced by his 88-pitch outing today).
On the offensive side of the ball, Trevor Gretzky reached base three times on two singles and a walk.
SS Javier Baez had a poor game all around, committing two errors (one fielding and one throwing) and striking out twice (both times swinging at slow curve balls). Baez appeared to be hyper-aggressive at the plate and in the field today.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 1-3, 6-3, RBI)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 4-3, 1B, 1B, SB, PO)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
3b. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (K)
4. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-3 (3-1, 6-3, BB, F-8, R)
5a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (F-7, K, 1B, R)
5b. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (P-3, 1B)
6b. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (K, K)
7a. Yaniel Cabezas, DH #2: 0-2 (F-9, K)
7b. Garrett Schlecht, PH-DH: 1-2 (1B+E7, K, R, RBI)
8. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, P-4, F-9 SF, R, RBI)
9. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB)
10. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
1. Gerardo Concepcion: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 88 pitches (57 strikes), 7/3 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Jose Arias: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (16 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
3. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (errant throw attempting to double runner off 2nd base after line-drive out allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-4 CS
Wilson Contreras: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.
2016 .607 ops
Plus bad fielding
taylor davis moved to AAA to take the place of that other catcher guy dude person.
Who's Mr. June-August? Can't be Jorge "Mr. 1.705 Playoff OPS " Soler, can it?
Chesny Young 4-5 tonight for Tenn. Now hitting .410 with an OBP over .500.
Looks like Soler has decided to take the "can't play in the cold" thing head-on. No longer wearing the cold-weather under gear.
Cubs record for last 3 months of regular season baseball: 59 - 23. (Aug, Sept/Oct and April, with one still to go).
That's a .720 winning percentage and projects to 117 wins over 162 games.
That's a lot of dance parties.
So where does Warren G rank in the list of terrible "Take me out to the ballgame" renditions? It's gotta be near the top.