Concepcion Goes Five But Giants Rally to Edge Cubs
Gerardo Concepcion threw five innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits (all singles) and a walk with four strikeouts and two wild pitches, but the Giants rallied for three runs off two relievers and edged the Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #1 in Scottsdale, AZ.
This was Concepcion’s third Extended Spring Training appearance. He threw 36 pitches in his first outing and 69 in his second, before upping his pitch count to 88 today. Over 11.1 IP at EXST, Concepcion has allowed seven runs (six earned) on 14 hits and four walks, with 11 strikeouts, three wild pitches, and a 10/12 GO/FO.
Concepcion is technically on the Daytona Cubs 7-day Disabled List, but he looks to be 100% healthy (as evidenced by his 88-pitch outing today).
On the offensive side of the ball, Trevor Gretzky reached base three times on two singles and a walk.
SS Javier Baez had a poor game all around, committing two errors (one fielding and one throwing) and striking out twice (both times swinging at slow curve balls). Baez appeared to be hyper-aggressive at the plate and in the field today.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 1-3, 6-3, RBI)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 4-3, 1B, 1B, SB, PO)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
3b. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (K)
4. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-3 (3-1, 6-3, BB, F-8, R)
5a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (F-7, K, 1B, R)
5b. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (P-3, 1B)
6b. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (K, K)
7a. Yaniel Cabezas, DH #2: 0-2 (F-9, K)
7b. Garrett Schlecht, PH-DH: 1-2 (1B+E7, K, R, RBI)
8. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, P-4, F-9 SF, R, RBI)
9. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB)
10. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
1. Gerardo Concepcion: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 88 pitches (57 strikes), 7/3 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Jose Arias: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (16 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
3. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (errant throw attempting to double runner off 2nd base after line-drive out allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-4 CS
Wilson Contreras: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
KOYIES BANSAW: I would say Aaron Brooks is comparable to Dallas Beeler. When healthy, they both provide AAA starting pitcher depth until somethng better comes up through the pipeline. Maybe the "26th man" when the Cubs need a 6th starter for a doubleheader.
he's destroying it for SD in the majors this year.
23.1ip 10h 11bb 33k
The Cubs had Ryan Buchter at AAA last year and he's death on lefties, but they let him walk away as a minor league FA post-2015.
f'real...didn't even streak or try to beat up a base coach or anything.
After the game, jacos was DFA'd. #nohelp
Richard proving once again that, if you are really bad, it doesn't matter which hand you throw with.
Maybe time to find out what we have in Edwards?
Oof -- ugly game at the plate and from the pen, which was the hero yesterday.
Sorry Jake -- you deserved better.
k.bryant playing SS...because fuck it, that's why.
g.soto is doing horrible in AAA...unfortunately.
unless they decide to bring up g.concepcion or make a trade we might have richard around a little longer.
...that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him DFA'd after the game...the "lefty specialist" just let 3 lefties in a row get on base. ugg.
Ahhh Richard with your 6.00+ ERA as a short reliever...
You ain't gonna be on no Playoff roster.
I'll give this to Richard: he looks the part of a good pitcher, straight out of central casting. It's a shame he struggles with the getting guys out part of the game.
Didn't take Richard long. He is an absolute disaster.
Thru seven innings the Cubs have more errors than hits and Zobrist has struck out 3 times. And now Richard is pitching.
These things do not add up to victory
It was from about 15 years ago
Guess I was on tv
Vin Scully sang the seventh-inning stretch. Along with all the great things he is known for, he can sing! He sounded like Willie Nelson out there. And he gave a nice shout-out to Harry. What a class guy.