Rockies Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Xavier Batista ripped a single, an RBI triple, and a solo home run to stake the Cubs to a 2-1 lead through five innings, but the Rockies scored two in the 6th and two more in the 7th and then held-on to edge the Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
In 25 EXST PA, X. Batista is hitting 435/500/782 with one HR, one triple, three doubles, six RBI, and only two K. He was the last cut from the Peoria squad at the end of Minor League Camp, so he could be in-line for a promotion to Peoria in the near future.
RHP Starling Peralta got the start for the Cubs and threw three strong innings, allowing one run (earned) on three hits and a walk, with four strikeouts. His fastball was topping out at 95 MPH.
Javier Baez went hitless in four at-bats, striking out twice (both times swinging). He is now 0-17 with eight strikeouts since hitting for the cycle last Monday versus the Angels.
However, the two balls Baez put into play today were a towering fly ball to the deepest part of the ballpark caught up against the fence by the Rockies CF, and the other a fly ball to left that required a diving catch by the LF.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1a. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (1-3, K, 6-3)
1b. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-1 (P-6)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, P-2, R)
2b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-1 (1B+E6)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-4 (K, F-7, K, F-8)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 3-3 (3B, HR, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
4b. Jair Bogaerts, LF: 0-1 (F-7)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, K, F-7)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-7, 5-3, 1B, 6-3, R)
7. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-3 (F-7, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
9. Anthony Giansanti, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, F-9, F-8)
10. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-3 (6-U FC, K, F-8)
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 42 pitches (25 strikes), 0/4 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 45 pitches (27 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (throwing error on sacrifice bunt attempt allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Conteras: 2-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.
my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.