Cubs Take Two from Giants at Indian School Park
Xavier Batista blasted a three-run home run and an RBI double and Trey Martin singled twice, doubled, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another, leading one squad of Cubs to a 10-3 victory over one squad of Giants on Field #1, and Rock Shoulders drilled a two-run single in the top of the 1st and six Cub pitchers combined to throw a three-hit shutout as the other squad of Cubs blanked the other squad of Giants 3-0 on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Several pitchers who spent the 2011 season in the Dominican Summer League (DSL) made their U. S. game debut for the Cubs today, including 19-year old Mexican RHP Javier Castro, 19-year old Venezuelan soft-tossing LHP Augusto Colina, 6’6 20-year old Dominican RHP Jorge Diaz, and 21-year old Venezuelan RHP Loiger Padron. All of the new guys pitched OK, although Colina did give up a solo HR to the first man he faced (second pitch) in the bottom of the 4th.
Since all Extended Spring Training statistics are unofficial anyway, I have also included the Cubs stats from yesterday’s game versus the Giants at Fitch Park that was rained out in the bottom of the 1st inning.
So here are the abridged box scores from the two games played today in Scottsdale (Cubs players only), plus the Cubs stats from yesterday’s game versus the Giants at Fitch Park that was rained out in the bottom of the 1st inning:
FITCH PARK FIELD #3 - MESA:
CUBS PLAYERS WHO BATTED PRIOR TO RAIN-OUT
Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-1 (P-4)
Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-0 (BB)
CUBS PITCHER (TOP OF THE 1st INNING ONLY):
Rob Whitenack: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 11 pitches (9 strikes), 3/0 GO
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK – SCOTTSDALE
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 3-5 (5-3, 1B+E6, E-3, 2B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-5 (1B, 4-3, 6-3, FC, F-8, R)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (1-3, K, 1B, 2B, K, 2 R, RBI)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-4 (3-U, P-5, 2B, HR, 2 R, 4 RBI)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (K, P-6, 2B, K, R, RBI)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (3-U, K, 1B, 3B, R, RBI, SB)
7. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, K, L-9, SB)
8. Trevor Gretzky, DH #1: 1-3 (F-7, BB, 1B, 4-3)
9. Kevin Encarnacion, LF: 1-4 (3-U, F-8, 4-6 FC, 1B, R, PO)
10a. Mark Malave, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, K)
10b. Wilfredo Petit, PH-DH: 0-2 (6-3, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 50 pitches (33 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Augusto Colina: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 28 pitches (18 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 26 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 20 pitches (18 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
5. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 4:
1. RF Xavier Batista - E-9 (dropped fly ball allowing batter reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (throwing error on attempted force-play allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. P Jorge Diaz - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (BB, P-4, F-8, P-4, R)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, 6-3, R)
2b. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-1 (4-3)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (3-U, HBP, 6-3, 1B)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH-1B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-7, K, 2 RBI)
5a. Anthony Giansanti, C: 2-2 (BB, 3B, 1B, R)
5b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (K)
6. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 1-3 (K, 3-U, 1B)
7. Ryan Durrence, 1B-DH: 1-3 (1B, K, 6-4-3 DP)
8. Danny Lockhart, 3B-2B: 0-3 (6-4 FC, 5-3, P-6)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, 3-1)
10. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, 6-3)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Javier Castro: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
6. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 14 pitches (12 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Pichardo’s outing was stopped in bottom of add-on inning once he reached 14 pitches
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
RF Yasiel Balaguert – E-9 (fielding error on line drive single allowed batter to take an extra base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert threw out baserunner 9-5 trying to advance to 3rd base on single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Schwarber hurt, Heyward hurt, Szczur hurt. Let's see how many guys have to go down before Soler gets his job back.
RHP Jake Arrieta (5-0, 1.00)
Neat. This ought to be a good game.
Unless somebody goes on the 60-DL or ouright them they can't call up Shane he's not on the 40 man roster, he still on a minor league contract
Everytime I recall Szcur's bone marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat