Miscues Help Angels Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Taking advantage of two costly Cub errors, the Angels rallied for three runs in the top of the 8th and edged the Cubs 4-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
While the Cubs were playing the Angels on Field #3, Brian Smith, Su-Min Jung, Amaury Paulino, and Ryan Hartman worked in a four inning “sim” game on Field #1, facing a lineup of Cubs position players who were not in the game on Field #3.
The four pitchers who threw in the “sim” game have been struggling with their control, and are being held out of EXST games until they can demonstrate that they can throw strikes more consistently. If they are unable to do that, a couple of them (Jung and Hartman) could get released before the end of Extended Spring Training.
Here is the abridged box score from the EXST game on Field #3 (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 3B, 3-1, 3-U, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-9 SF, P-4, BB, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 3-U, F-9)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, R)
4b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (K)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
6. Anthony Giansanti, C: 0-3 (5-3, F-9, F-8)
7. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8a. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
8b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
9. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-2 (P-3, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
10a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, R, SB)
10b. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 41 pitches (23 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Javier Castro: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 28 pitches (15 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Augusto Colina: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Xavier Batista threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.