Miscues Help Angels Edge Cubs at Fitch Park

Taking advantage of two costly Cub errors, the Angels rallied for three runs in the top of the 8th and edged the Cubs 4-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.

While the Cubs were playing the Angels on Field #3, Brian Smith, Su-Min Jung, Amaury Paulino, and Ryan Hartman worked in a four inning “sim” game on Field #1, facing a lineup of Cubs position players who were not in the game on Field #3.

The four pitchers who threw in the “sim” game have been struggling with their control, and are being held out of EXST games until they can demonstrate that they can throw strikes more consistently. If they are unable to do that, a couple of them (Jung and Hartman) could get released before the end of Extended Spring Training.

Here is the abridged box score from the EXST game on Field #3 (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 3B, 3-1, 3-U, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-9 SF, P-4, BB, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 3-U, F-9)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, R)
4b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (K)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
6. Anthony Giansanti, C: 0-3 (5-3, F-9, F-8)
7. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8a. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
8b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
9. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-2 (P-3, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
10a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, R, SB)
10b. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)

CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 41 pitches (23 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Javier Castro: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 28 pitches (15 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Augusto Colina: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO

CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)

CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Xavier Batista threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double

ATTENDANCE: 13

WEATHER: Mostly sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s

Comments

AZ Phil: Does Danny Lockhart have any upside other than having his dad as one of the Cub field scouts? I don't recall him getting any hits yet, and now two errors today.

Tue, 05/08/2012 - 5:10pm — Cubster

================================================

CUBSTER: Danny Lockhart has not had a good EXST so far, but he is fairly versatile and fundamentally sound. He played only SS in HS and had to learn 2B and 3B on the fly, and now he actually looks better at 2B and 3B than he does at SS (his natural position).

It's a bit early to determine his ceiling, but if I had to guess, I would say maybe AAA utility infielder, but he will have to show more with the bat than he has this Spring to reach his potential.

He probably will be assigned to the AZL Cubs at the end of EXST. I don't think he's ready for Boise.

DANNY LOCKHART (2012 CACTUS LEAGUE EXST GAMES):
205/279/257 (16 GAMES – 43 PA)
2 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 4 R, 4/8 BB/K, 2 SB (0 CS), 1 PO
DEFENSE: 5 ERRORS (four at SS, one at 2B)

This 'having wild pitchers prove themselves in intra-squad sims' seems new. I think I like it.

Phil,

Where has Baez been lately? I feel like he hasn't been playing much lately, did he play in that Intrasquad, see if you can throw strikes game? I know you said there were cycles for all of the players, he just hasn't been showing up in boxes lately IIRC.

Thanks for all you do big guy.

Also wanted to know if you have seen any guys the Cubs might be working out for the draft and or July 2 signings. It's about getting to be that time and I'm interested to see what direction the Cubs are thinking of going with those four top 70 picks.

For everyone else, where would you like to see the Cubs go with those picks. Personally, I'd like to see Almora at 6, just on tools alone I think he is 2a to Correa and Buxton and I think pitching can be addressed later. Just IMHO. What say you?

Wed, 05/09/2012 - 9:06am — W Flag

Phil,

Thanks for all you do big guy.

============================

W FLAG: Javier Baez left Saturday's game after being hit by a pitch on the left arm in the bottom of the 1st inning. He will supposedly be back in the lineup sometime this week.

• ,571 winning percentage in May.

I think they're gonna be OK.

Tito 18 min 11 sec ago view
  • RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.

Arizona Phil 2 hours 37 min ago view
  • Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?

BobbyD 2 hours 39 min ago view
  • Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.

• If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.

CTSteve 4 hours 52 min ago view
  • Hi Arizona Phil,

Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?

Raisin101 11 hours 24 min ago view
  • bruh...

• O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).

Arizona Phil 12 hours 57 min ago view
  • Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year!  Lame!

Transmission 13 hours 2 min ago view
  • 1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.

2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.

3. Make TCR great again.

CTSteve 13 hours 8 min ago view
  • Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.

Transmission 13 hours 10 min ago view
  • nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.

• Recap posted.  ~sigh~

Transmission 13 hours 40 min ago view
  • THAT WAS TURRIBLE.

MY GAWD.

• Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.

Transmission 17 hours 8 min ago view
  • Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.

Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?