Miscues Help Angels Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Taking advantage of two costly Cub errors, the Angels rallied for three runs in the top of the 8th and edged the Cubs 4-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
While the Cubs were playing the Angels on Field #3, Brian Smith, Su-Min Jung, Amaury Paulino, and Ryan Hartman worked in a four inning “sim” game on Field #1, facing a lineup of Cubs position players who were not in the game on Field #3.
The four pitchers who threw in the “sim” game have been struggling with their control, and are being held out of EXST games until they can demonstrate that they can throw strikes more consistently. If they are unable to do that, a couple of them (Jung and Hartman) could get released before the end of Extended Spring Training.
Here is the abridged box score from the EXST game on Field #3 (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 3B, 3-1, 3-U, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-9 SF, P-4, BB, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 3-U, F-9)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, R)
4b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (K)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
6. Anthony Giansanti, C: 0-3 (5-3, F-9, F-8)
7. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8a. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
8b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
9. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-2 (P-3, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
10a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, R, SB)
10b. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 41 pitches (23 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Javier Castro: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 28 pitches (15 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Augusto Colina: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Xavier Batista threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.
And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.
What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?
Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...
I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."
OK, boys -- find a way to win today.
There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:
-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100
Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel
Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.
Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.
For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.
He reminds me of a little of a young guy currently on the Cubs' DL, who is also tank-like in appearance.
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?