Miscues Help Angels Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Taking advantage of two costly Cub errors, the Angels rallied for three runs in the top of the 8th and edged the Cubs 4-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
While the Cubs were playing the Angels on Field #3, Brian Smith, Su-Min Jung, Amaury Paulino, and Ryan Hartman worked in a four inning “sim” game on Field #1, facing a lineup of Cubs position players who were not in the game on Field #3.
The four pitchers who threw in the “sim” game have been struggling with their control, and are being held out of EXST games until they can demonstrate that they can throw strikes more consistently. If they are unable to do that, a couple of them (Jung and Hartman) could get released before the end of Extended Spring Training.
Here is the abridged box score from the EXST game on Field #3 (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 3B, 3-1, 3-U, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-9 SF, P-4, BB, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 3-U, F-9)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, R)
4b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (K)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
6. Anthony Giansanti, C: 0-3 (5-3, F-9, F-8)
7. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8a. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
8b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
9. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-2 (P-3, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
10a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, R, SB)
10b. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 41 pitches (23 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Javier Castro: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 28 pitches (15 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Augusto Colina: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Xavier Batista threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Cards and Pirates lose. I'm OK with that.
I'm ready for the end of the Miggy era.
he juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust got there...1st appearance, injury...yow
b.matusz it is.
Oops. Colin Rea leaves the game with injury.
Cubs optioned Justin Grimm to Iowa after the game. No corresponding roster move announced yet, but it could be Brian Matusz.
Marlins with a quick 4 spot vs Jaime Garcia. Osuna HR the highlight.
Brian Matusz, supposedly he has attachments. Hope it's not like an email with a virus attached.
One thing to remember about Chapman -- he can be magic, but his ERA is higher than Rondon's this year. 100+ mph is fun, but I'd love to see a few more sliders. I think he enjoys the crowd reaction from 103 mph.
"Diamondbacks designated RHP Josh Collmenter for assignment."
aww...he was my 2nd favorite crapballer. his control issues are rather severe at the moment.
Wow -- Chapman gives up a hit and everything completely caves in. I think the Cubs went into collective shock.
Stolen base with the pitcher holding the ball, WP that should have been caught or blocked, then Russell with a 2-out error on a routine play. Cubs handed them 2 runs. Throw in a Fowler bobble and it was a mess.
Hopefully, that is all out of their system now -- let's get a W tomorrow.
First time I've ever seen a base running slump -- he's made some poor decisions recently, but I thought it was a great idea to try to score there -- it's not like Heyward was going to get a 2-out hit against a LHP. Sliding feet-first into home is probably the safe (ugh) way to go, but it's hard to get the foot on the plate.
Yup. He got squeezed (twice) on the first walk, but, when you have one-run lead and the other team is trying to make an out -- take the out.
Clearly the Cubs need to clear out the farm and trade for another closer
Where's Ed Lynch when you need him?