Cubs Win One on the Rocks
Yasiel Balaguert singled three times, drove-in a run, and scored another, Sergio Burruel reached base three times on two singles and a walk, scored one run, and knocked-in another, and Dong-Yub Kim doubled twice and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to a 6-4 victory over the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (K, F-8, F-9, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, F-8, L-8, 1B, R, 2 SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (6-U FC, E-5, 2B, K, RBI)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 2-4 (2B, K, F-9, 2B, 2 R)
7. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 2-3 (P-6, 1B, BB, 1B, R)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, L-1 DP, HBP, 4-6 FC, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-3 (HBP, 1B, 1B, F-8, PO)
10. Justin Marra, DH-C: 0-3 (3-6 FC, BB, 6-3 DP, F-7)
11. Trevor Gretzky, DH-LF: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, 3-1)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 54 pitches (36 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 32 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Daniel Adrian: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (dropped pop fly in foul territory, extending AB)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Sergio Burruel: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - threw out batter 8-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
BILLY BUCKS: As things stand right now, Dylan Cease will be in the Eugene starting rotation when the NWL season begins play in June, and if he peforms well there he could perhaps move up to South Bend toward the end of the minor league season or for the MWL playoffs (if South Bend qualifies).
i'm more "wtf?" about him hitting 2nd than playing LF...especially since zobrist exists.
Soler's primary position is suppose to be in left for this season so technically he is not out of position. Although I agree, it does seem weird given their histories.
Any idea of where/when Cease will head for the season?
Over/under on HBP tonight?
Yes, I know KB played LF and Szczur played RF last night, but there's a legit case that RF is the easier draw at PNC.
Seems an odd lineup -- Soler in LF and Bryant in RF? Two guys out of position? I guess Fed has to catch tonight so All Star Gramps can catch Lester tomorrow. Or maybe Joe just wants somebody else to catch a no-hitter. Would love to see KB get the power turned on. C'mon Jorge -- channel your playoff self!
All it took was Schwarber, Heyward, and Szczur getting hurt for him to get to play again. Let's go ahead and call this little stretch your last real chance to prove you belong on this team, Jorge.
soler hitting 2nd...didn't expect that one.
tonight: Fowler, Soler, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrisjt, Baez, Russell, Federowicz, Arrieta
roster shuffle official per Sun Times, Gordon Wittenmeyer on twitter...Szczur to DL with minor hamstring strain, Chris Villanueva to 60 day DL, Ryan Kalish to 40 man roster and gets the call-up.
There's an interview with Heyward up on ESPN where he says the wrist thing has been lingering and he just brought it up with the team as it didn't go away. So that could very well explain why he hasn't had the same hard contact recently.
Ryan Kalish writeup (by Peter Gammons last November):
Villanueva goes to the 60 day DL.
Peter Gammons just tweeted that teammates are tweeting Kalish is getting recalled. Not sure which ones and what they'll do with the 40 man but there we go.
Jesee Rogers just said he thought Ryan Kalish would be the call up.