Metaphorically Speaking, What 2012 Represents: Rebuilding vs Deconstruction

From the previous thread, I came upon Old and Blue's complaint that he hates the phrase, "rebuilding year".

It implies that there is some actual construction going on. So far, best as I can tell, the only brick laid down is a Rizzo block, and there are no guarantees with prospects. Shark has been a pleasant surprise, but no credit for TheoCorp there. He's been in the system for some time.  I know I'm supposed to give this time, but so far, I'm pretty underwhelmed.

Hmmm. Maybe he's got something there. This made me think of a metaphor regarding the Foodie Fad of cooking deconstructed style. Yep, that's what Jedstein is using as their modus operandi.

They are deconstructing the Cubs:

• More hits than runs
  • Good starting pitching without wins

Here is a working definition of what is going on (thanks to the Foodie Buddah.com site):

At heart, any deconstructed dish (ball club) should contain all the classic components found in the “original.” The difference is in the preparation. When creating a dish (ball club) utilizing deconstructive techniques, the ingredients (players) are essentially prepared and treated on their own. It is during the plating and presentation stages that everything is brought together.

Based on the Cubs puny offense of late, it is apparent that we are not at the "plating" stage, and far from the "presentation" stage. So to make my point just a little easier to swallow, you can choose which of the following deconstructed vs classic options you prefer. Just make sure there is enough alcohol content, 2012 Cubs watchers are going to need it.

...and I just wanted to give props to Tim Souers Cubby-Blue site. Awesome "Ryan Dempster Can't Get Any Support" pictures (Even Mrs. Dempster could use a little support in these trying times). Plus he tells a Metaphorical story (thanks, Charlie) that only a 10 game Cub losing streak could force out of him.

Comments

Deconstructed lineup: DeJesus, Castro, Mather, LaHair, Soriano, Stewart, Barney, Lalli, Maholm

Lalli starting against his hometown team.

who's dog did campy kick?

is he screwing up the whole "come in last place" thing?

i mean, hey, i don't think the guy is the next coming, but he's been chaos for the opposition out there when he does play.

Joe Mather, cleanup hitter and starting center fielder. Your 2012 Cubs. *sigh*

according to c.m.

"Mather is starting in an attempt to get a little more pop into the lineup"

Cubs start Mather to add power to lineup. Your 2012 Cubs. *sigh*

/fixed

@CarrieMuskat: Steve Clevenger's rehab going well. He's 3-for-3 tonight with HR, 2B, 1B for @IowaCubs

Clevinger, BJax and Rizzo have HR's, I-Cubs ahead 5-4

@ESPNChiCubs: Rizzo hits No. 17 at Iowa.

So much for the Dolis as closer experiment. Marmol could have done that.

Vitters solo HR in 9th.

Iowa wins 6-4, McDougal scoreless 9th for a save.

We might see him in the Chicago pen soon.

• Thank you PHIL.

Glad you avoided temps in the 100s.

I remember you mentioning Dewees needng plenty of work in th IF. How are his OF instincts?

Also, did see much of Satchel McElroy? Only Satchel I have heard about other than the "orignal" and one of Woody Allen's kids.

The E-Man 1 hour 47 min ago view
  • Hate to give the Mets credit, but they did everything right tonight in what had to be a very tough game for them to play. As Hollandsworth said on the Cubs post-game -- if you watched the game, you saw Mets players consoling Marlins players who were in tears during the game. Between that and the way Molina handled the Ross farewell -- maybe the Mets and Cardinal players aren't pure evil. Just the fans.

• New York Mets @Mets
    Dee Gordon lead-off home run. #AintEvenMad #BiggerThanBaseball 1-0 Miami.
    7:25 PM - 26 Sep 2016

• Amazing effort by Gordon -- truly remarkable.

• Cubs get 100, KB gets 100, Hendricks gets below 2.00, Cards get absolutely destroyed by the Reds -- all good, other than some Rondon concern. Hopefully, he can get a few outings in this week and find his groove. Also, I guess Soler is still struggling with his right side. Hmmmm. Too bad Joe didn't let Addy bat with the bases loaded in the 7th -- great RBI opportunity.

I assume all the relievers are on a set schedule this week, but it seems strange Chapman pitched back-to-back.

• Barry Rozner article interviewing Greg Maddux (with comments on Kyle Hendricks).

"I like watching him pitch," Maddux said of Hendricks. "I like guys that rely on movement and location. I can relate to him. That's what I had to do. "I'd rather watch him pitch than some lefty throwing 95 mph."

Cubster 10 hours 40 min ago view
  • cubs win #100. neat.

• Chapman in to stop the bleeding.

Brick 10 hours 56 min ago view
  • they're falling apart late in WAS...damn.

• Wilson Ramos may be hurt badly. Carried off the field. Looks like the knee.

John Beasley 11 hours 29 min ago view
  • Hendricks 6 shutout innings, ends night with an ERA of 1.99

Cubster 11 hours 40 min ago view
  • in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Twins are hiring Indians 32-year old Derick Falvey from the Cleveland Native Americans organization.

Suppose McLeod could still be asked by another organization but likely staying put.

• Well put, both your remark, and Crunch's.

Transmission 12 hours 39 min ago view
  • I saw the Gordon HR. It was like a funeral where the mourners were made to play baseball. So sad...

CTSteve 12 hours 43 min ago view
  • i wanted to watch more of it, but it started to feel like i was going beyond witnessing a human experience that isn't often seen into an uncomfortable voyeurism. these guys are in pain.

• wow I am glad I missed the start of the MIA game.  I would have been sobbing.

Transmission 13 hours 12 min ago view