Angels Show Baez-less Cubs No Respect
Hank Conger blasted a solo home run and an RBI double, Zach Borenstein hammered a three-run HR, and Mike Sodders cracked a three-run double, leading the Angels to a 17-1 Memorial Day thrashing of the Cubs this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Shawon Dunston Jr belted a home run leading off the game, and that was the only Cub run of the day.
19-year old RHP Tayler Scott (Cubs 2011 5th round draft pick out of Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale, AZ) had another rough start today, allowing nine runs (six earned) on six hits (including three doubles, a triple, and a home run) and two walks in 3.1 IP. He also commited a costly throwing error in a four-run Angel 4th. In his previous start last Wednesday, the young South Africa native surrendered two runs (both earned) on five hits (including four doubles) and a walk in 3.0 IP.
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Javier Baez (Cubs 2011 1st round draft pick) has been promoted to Peoria after hitting 330/351/725 in 27 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (94 PA), with 8 HR & 28 RBI, six doubles, three triples, 11 SB (one CS), one walk, two HBP, and 23 K. He also made eight errors.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 2-3 (HR, 3-1, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, 6-4 FC, 5-4 FC, SB)
3a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, F-7)
3b. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 0-1 (4-3)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
4b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-2 (K, E-6)
5. Dustin Geiger, DH #2: 0-4 (K, K, 4-3, 4-6-3 DP)
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 1-3, HBP)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (F-8, P-6, L-9)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (5-3, F-7, F-8)
9a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (K)
10. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-3 (1B, 3-6 FC, P-4, PO)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 9 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 62 pitches (33 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Alvido Jimenez: 1.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 28 pitches (13 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (19 strikes), 0/6 GO/FO
5. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (5 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Tayler Scott - E-1 (errant throw on attempted 1-2 FC with bases loaded allowed two runs to score)
3. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
4. 3B Danny Lockhart - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Adam Warren who is 3-1 with a 2.08 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP, and Castro who is hitting 269/303/415?
That Molina with the arm out thing was ridiculous and blatant. Wonder if he can get fined for that
Looks like the Cubs got short end of the Castro Warren deal so far. He is atrocious. Even in games with huge leads he sucks ass.
Wonder what they saw in him? Maybe he is a better starter? Ugh!
Bucknor tried to turn a 4-pitch walk to LaStella into an interesting AB, but LaStella prevailed.
~shrug~ he's CB Bucknor, he's usually awful.
But today he called 2 pitches balls that really looked like strikes, one looked particularly obvious. Even Arrieta jawed at him and that's rare for Arrieta. He also didn't bother to ask anyone or notice Molina clearly reaching his arm out to get hit intentionally.
Lastella not having much of one either (diving stop notwithstanding but should have been unnecessary if he made earlier play).
What's wrong with his strike zone? Just inconsistent?
CB Bucknor not having a good day....
Jesse Rogers [email protected] Yeah, there was plenty of chatter before the game about home plate ump today. Knew he would be a factor.
Jake Arrieta gives up first inning run
For the first time in a year, 33 starts.
Old news, sorry if it's 3/44-
J-Hey being classy by repaying an old teammate:
With Paredes moving to 3B, how do you see playing time shaking out between him and Galindo? Do you think Galindo gets starts at 1B? Galindo is more of a prospect than Paniagua, right?
Phil, your knowledge of the Cubs Minor League system is unbelievable.
This kid would be a key piece in a trade for a pitcher, imo.
This might be old news but Hammel was on ESPN 1000 and said that he changed his diet and workout routine over the off season and tweaked his delivery so it'd be more repeatable so he'd have a better second half. So...some cause for optimism anyway.
CHILDERS: RHSP Dylan Cease and LHSP Bryan Hudson are probably the top two SP prospects in the organization right now.
LHSP Jose Paulino has electric stuff (91-94 MPH fastball with sinking action and a mid-80's slider), but he also has trouble commanding it.
RHP Jose Albertos (2015 IFA - Mexico - $1.5M bonus) just turned 17 in November, and his fastball already sits at 95-96. He also throws a curve and a change-up, and is fairly advanced for a kid his age.