Angels Show Baez-less Cubs No Respect
Hank Conger blasted a solo home run and an RBI double, Zach Borenstein hammered a three-run HR, and Mike Sodders cracked a three-run double, leading the Angels to a 17-1 Memorial Day thrashing of the Cubs this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Shawon Dunston Jr belted a home run leading off the game, and that was the only Cub run of the day.
19-year old RHP Tayler Scott (Cubs 2011 5th round draft pick out of Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale, AZ) had another rough start today, allowing nine runs (six earned) on six hits (including three doubles, a triple, and a home run) and two walks in 3.1 IP. He also commited a costly throwing error in a four-run Angel 4th. In his previous start last Wednesday, the young South Africa native surrendered two runs (both earned) on five hits (including four doubles) and a walk in 3.0 IP.
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Javier Baez (Cubs 2011 1st round draft pick) has been promoted to Peoria after hitting 330/351/725 in 27 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (94 PA), with 8 HR & 28 RBI, six doubles, three triples, 11 SB (one CS), one walk, two HBP, and 23 K. He also made eight errors.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 2-3 (HR, 3-1, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, 6-4 FC, 5-4 FC, SB)
3a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, F-7)
3b. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 0-1 (4-3)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
4b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-2 (K, E-6)
5. Dustin Geiger, DH #2: 0-4 (K, K, 4-3, 4-6-3 DP)
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 1-3, HBP)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (F-8, P-6, L-9)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (5-3, F-7, F-8)
9a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (K)
10. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-3 (1B, 3-6 FC, P-4, PO)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 9 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 62 pitches (33 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Alvido Jimenez: 1.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 28 pitches (13 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (19 strikes), 0/6 GO/FO
5. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (5 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Tayler Scott - E-1 (errant throw on attempted 1-2 FC with bases loaded allowed two runs to score)
3. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
4. 3B Danny Lockhart - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Two strikes, slider out of the zone, and he swings. Looks familiar. It really makes Bryant's plate discipline look very impressive.
haren's made it through 4 without shitting himself...only 1 run on him. neat.
Tom Seaver has The Cubs number tonight
I hope we get to see a repeat performance of this from Q. Berry.
Baez strikes out in his first at bat, but not whirling dervish style. Just missed it, didn't unwind like a uncoiling spring - just a clean miss. Call me optimistic, but I call that progress.
The Mariners recalled RHP Tony Zych from Triple-A Tacoma. First big league action for the former Cub prospect.
ah, the fair weather fans are back at wrigley.
long popout to CF, not even on the track, and 1/2 the place was popping and cheering like it was gonna end up out of the park.
well, that didn't take long.
11 pitches, voto HR...thankfully, solo.
It'll be interesting to see if Baez is still a whirling dervish at the plate. He's rocking it good in AAA, and I've read some good stuff, so fingers crossed.
More bitching about him being traded than Archer
good...he's been stinking up the durham bulls for a couple years now.
Rays DFA Hak-Ju Lee.
Olt for Lee and the circle of life is complete
dusty would have to start baez because both lastella + castro would be pitching because all the other pitcher's arms would have fallen off months ago. it would piss dusty off because baez is a rookie and theo couldn't go out and get him a 39 year old DH to play 2nd. i imagine it would be a 2-box-of-toothpicks night.
lou would have quit his job already, so that's irrelevant and a trick question.
just a theoretical thought...if Dusty was manager (WWDD) or if Lou (WWLD) was manager...
would Javy Baez be in tonight's lineup?
my thought is:
Dusty... Bonifacio would have been brought up and started at 2B
Lou..."I like playing the kids, really I do, but but but Jonathan Herrera really needs to play to stay sharp."