Christmas Opening Day approaches, time to put on the prognostication hats and have some fun with the Cubs season.
Reader Bryan has offered to tabulate the results and I'll come up with the prizes at some point (still owe chifan3887 for his Free Agent Frenzy win, I didn't forget about you). So predict away...
Five points for a correct answer.
1. Who will have the most plate appearances in the #2 spot of the lineup?
2. Who will have the most plate appearances in the #8 spot of the lineup?
3. Which player will end up playing the most defensive positions?
4. Which pitcher will start the most games for the Cubs?
5. Which pitcher will end up with the most appearances for the Cubs?
6. Which Cub(s) will make the All-Star team? (5 points for each correct name, subtract 2 points if you name someone who doesn't make it)
7. Which Cub(s) will finish in the top 10 in MVP voting? (5 points for each correct name, subtract 2 points if you name someone who doesn't make it - None is an acceptable answer)
8. Who will be the first Cub promoted from the minors?
9. Who will be the first Cub on the Opening Day 25-man roster to land on the disabled list? (that means Kerry Wood, Buck Coats and Juan Mateo are excluded)
10. Where will the Cubs finish in the division (1 through 6)?
8 points for a correct answer on the following 2 questions, subtract one point for how many places you're off. So if you predict they'll be 5th in runs scored and they end up at 3rd or 7th, you get 6 points. We won't get into negatives though, so if you're off by more than eight, you'll get zero points.
11. Where will the Cubs rank in team runs scored among National League teams? (1 through 16)
12. Where will the Cubs rank in team runs allowed among National League teams? (1 through 16, 1 meaning the least amount of runs allowed)
15 points for the correct answer on the following questions, subtract one point for how far you end up off the final answer. For example, if you predict 90 wins for the Cubs and they end up with 88, you get 13 points. We won't get into the negatives though, so if you miss by 15 or more you get a zero for that answer.
13. How many wins for the Cubs in 2007?
14. How many total home runs by Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano combined?
15. How many home runs and stolen bases for Soriano combined? (If you think he'll end up at 40/40, please put 80 as your answer)
Tie-Breaker #1: How many innings pitched in the majors for Mark Prior? (closest answer wins)
Tie-Breaker #2: How many innings pitched in the minors for Mark Prior? (only used if there happens to be a tie for the first tie-breaker question)
To make it easy for Bryan, please use the following format to answer. Please use a separate comment if you care to add your two cents beyond your answers. I'll close the comments on Monday, April 2nd around 11am CST.
etc, etc, etc...
UPDATE: In my attempt to make things easier I foolishy separated the wins and losses question earlier. Just ignore that and I'll fix the comments on those that answered already.