It's 3am and You're Dying For a Hit of Milo Hamilton; What Do You Do?

From Wednesday's Tribune...

A new channel devoted to the Cubs is one of the enticing potential revenue-generating items that Tribune Co. is floating as part of its planned sale of the Chicago Cubs, Wrigley Field and its 25 percent stake in Comcast SportsNet.

The story mentions some of the roadblocks that might prevent a New York Yankees/YES Network sort of channel from becoming a reality in Chicago, including the possibility that Tribune Company could box the team's new owner into continuing to air many games on Tribune-owned WGN. Still, one can certainly see why the concept might be attractive...

[YES Network's] revenues, which include other sports programming
besides the Yankees, exceed $300 million, and its cash flow, a critical
measure of the network's health, was about $186 million in 2006,
according to The New York Times.
YES' value has been estimated at $3 billion, more than two times the
$1.3 billion valuation that Forbes magazine placed on the Yankees.

One other item of interest in the piece—so far this season, the Cubs are averaging a 4.9 rating on Comcast; the White Sox, whose ratings are up 27% over 2007, come in at 1.9. That's less than 40% of the Cubs' viewership.

Point that out the next time one of your Sox-loving friends whines about how the Cubs get more attention from the Chicago media.

Comments

Sox are pwned.

If you're dying for a hit of Milo at any time, you've got problems bigger than being up at 3 a.m.

I must be missing something. What does this have to do with Milo Hamilton?

24-hour Cubs channel = endless replays of old games = more Milo and Chip Caray than you ever dreamed of.

The Milo ref reminds me of a blog post I read last year:

"It should be noted that I’ve yet to meet any of Milo’s broadcasting partners who actually like the guy. The words they usually use to describe him, and that can be printed, include: ass, arrogant, bastard, prick, pompous, senile, and hack. And if you read Milo’s book, which I don’t advise, another word which spring readily to mind is vindictive.) I think Gene Elston would slug him if they were to ever be alone in the same room. Larry Dierker could barely tolerate him and hated being called Wrangler. I happened to hear Vince Cotroneo broadcast a Rangers game when the Rangers came to Houston. Nolan Ryan was a guest in the broadcast booths that day, and he was supposed to stop by all of them. He stayed longer than he was supposed to in the Rangers booth and Vince was talking about Milo banging on the wall and acting like a child. And don’t get me started on Milo’s relations with the Caray family (I had to listen to visiting team audio during my years with the Astros, and Skip Caray openly mocked Milo while on air during every game), the Ernie Johnson family, and I could go on and on."

Fabulous.

Twenty four hours of mediocre to bad baseball brought to you in brilliant Technicolor.

Actually, "Technicolor" was not a process used for television broadcast in any way. It was a telecine, or developer process championed by Kodak for feature films.

Agreed!

How may times a week would they show This Old Cub?

Actually, there will be a devoted "This Old Cub" channel: TOC TV. All Santo, all the time.

I credit TOC as the single most significant reason Ron Santo isn't in the Hall of Fame.

That sure makes a lot of sense

Santo's first year of eligibility: 1980
Year This Old Cub was released: 2004

So a movie about Ron Santo kept him out of the Hall of Fame for 24 years before it came out? Sure.....

I suppose that means we can't blame Barrett, either. Rats.

We may be able to blame Dan Uggla though.

I blame Ryan Theriot (ducking)

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 4 hours 52 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 5 hours 9 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

The E-Man 8 hours 22 sec ago view
  • Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 11 hours 5 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 11 hours 7 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 15 hours 23 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.