Cashner Hurt and Sale News
Just a few quick hits worth mentioning...
- First round pick Andrew Cashner, who was cut yesterday, has a strained oblique.
- Bud says talks are still ongoing on the sale betweeen Ricketts and the Tribune. It doesn't sound too optimistic that it will get done by Opening Day with Selig saying that there are still issues that need to be resolved.
- Fukudome went 1-4 with a run scored for Team Japan in their victory over Korea.
- The top 300 position players of the Retrosheet era (since 1955) by WAR. Cubs on the list were Rafael Palmeiro at #28, Jim Edmonds at #38, Ron Santo at #47, Kenny Lofton at #43, Billy Williams at #59, Ryne Sandberg at #63, Ernie Banks at #67 (wouldn't include his 1954 season or 10 games in 1953), Sammy Sosa at #70, Andre Dawson at #83, Fred McGriff at #90, Ron Cey at #96, Mark Grace at #103, Luis Gonzalez at #105, Nomar Garciaparra at #123, Lou Brock at #137, Davey Lopes at #150, Moises Alou at #164, Jason Kendall at #174, Johnny Callison at #176, Gary Gaetti at #180, Bill Madlock at #193, Rick Monday at #199, Richie Asburn at #229 (missing quite a few of his seasons), Lance Johnson at #233, Gary Matthews at #240 and Cliff Floyd at #261. It's quite possible I missed a few names (which have now been added thanks to WISCGRAD).
- Lineup for Saturday's game versus the Brewers:
LF Soriano, CF Sam Fuld, 3B Ramirez, 1B Micah Hoffpauir, 2B Mike
Fontenot, RF Reed Johnson, C Mark Johnson, SS Darwin Barney, P Carlos
- Quote-master Ryan Dempster:
"I don't know a lot of people hitting 1.000 right now in
the Cactus League. I'm sure that will dwindle down, but I'm going to
ride it out while I can."
Reds pitching meeting tomorrow:
"Hey coach...maybe we should walk Bryant?"
"No...keep challenging him with fastballs! What kind of man are you?! The Cubs walked Harper, and look what happened there! They got teased for it, by one of the Nat players! Is that what you want?"
How can I get that feature? I think it woudl be a win-win for all involved.
Ian Happ is hitting.733 after 5 games at Tennessee. He went into tonight's game hitting .667 -- and went 3-for-3 to raise his average.
2-for-3, including a bomb, for LaStella at Iowa. Pierce Johnson very bad -- 2IP, 5ER. Pitching prospects not looking so hot -- Underwood has been awful.
Did Jiminez get hurt? I noticed he came out early yesterday.
Contreras keeps hitting/walking like this, and Miggy keep up the poor D and lack of offense - the kid could be the #1 catcher very soon.
it doesn't hurt that the Cardinals lose the KC and the Pirates lost too.
...still trying to process what I just saw. From both KB and Jake. Walking Billy Hamilton twice is a cry for help. I think the nudie photos are messing with Jake's head.
Hopefully Peralta's time on the Cubs roster will be shorter than R. Soriano's.
it took 9 pitches for peralta to give up his 1st cubs homer. neat.
damn...totally missed that ruben quevedo died on june 7th. he was only 37...heart attack.
he threw some really horrible games for the cubs in 2000 and followed it up by doing the same for 3 season for the brewers.
Holy Kris Bryant what?!
Hitting 3 HR, 2 doubles in a game. Never been done in mlb history per Len/Bob.
walks? this is baseball, not a nature hike. he needs to get his head in the game.
in my opinion, he would have been better off hitting 2 homers rather than walking twice. /moneyballs
Rizzo: 2-3, homer, double, 2 walks - meh
in other news, the site seems to be eating about 50% of my comments...which is probably a good thing in hindsight.
The Tucker Barnhart reactions after each Kris Bryant HR are kind of priceless.
...but, he's also good at home runs, too.