Cashner Hurt and Sale News
Just a few quick hits worth mentioning...
- First round pick Andrew Cashner, who was cut yesterday, has a strained oblique.
- Bud says talks are still ongoing on the sale betweeen Ricketts and the Tribune. It doesn't sound too optimistic that it will get done by Opening Day with Selig saying that there are still issues that need to be resolved.
- Fukudome went 1-4 with a run scored for Team Japan in their victory over Korea.
- The top 300 position players of the Retrosheet era (since 1955) by WAR. Cubs on the list were Rafael Palmeiro at #28, Jim Edmonds at #38, Ron Santo at #47, Kenny Lofton at #43, Billy Williams at #59, Ryne Sandberg at #63, Ernie Banks at #67 (wouldn't include his 1954 season or 10 games in 1953), Sammy Sosa at #70, Andre Dawson at #83, Fred McGriff at #90, Ron Cey at #96, Mark Grace at #103, Luis Gonzalez at #105, Nomar Garciaparra at #123, Lou Brock at #137, Davey Lopes at #150, Moises Alou at #164, Jason Kendall at #174, Johnny Callison at #176, Gary Gaetti at #180, Bill Madlock at #193, Rick Monday at #199, Richie Asburn at #229 (missing quite a few of his seasons), Lance Johnson at #233, Gary Matthews at #240 and Cliff Floyd at #261. It's quite possible I missed a few names (which have now been added thanks to WISCGRAD).
- Lineup for Saturday's game versus the Brewers:
LF Soriano, CF Sam Fuld, 3B Ramirez, 1B Micah Hoffpauir, 2B Mike
Fontenot, RF Reed Johnson, C Mark Johnson, SS Darwin Barney, P Carlos
- Quote-master Ryan Dempster:
"I don't know a lot of people hitting 1.000 right now in
the Cactus League. I'm sure that will dwindle down, but I'm going to
ride it out while I can."
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.