Cashner Hurt and Sale News

Just a few quick hits worth mentioning...

- First round pick Andrew Cashner, who was cut yesterday, has a strained oblique.

- Bud says talks are still ongoing on the sale betweeen Ricketts and the Tribune. It doesn't sound too optimistic that it will get done by Opening Day with Selig saying that there are still issues that need to be resolved.

- Fukudome went 1-4 with a run scored for Team Japan in their victory over Korea.

- The top 300 position players of the Retrosheet era (since 1955) by WAR.  Cubs on the list were Rafael Palmeiro at #28, Jim Edmonds at #38, Ron Santo at #47, Kenny Lofton at #43, Billy Williams at #59, Ryne Sandberg at #63, Ernie Banks at #67 (wouldn't include his 1954 season or 10 games in 1953), Sammy Sosa at #70, Andre Dawson at #83, Fred McGriff at #90, Ron Cey at #96, Mark Grace at #103, Luis Gonzalez at #105, Nomar Garciaparra at #123, Lou Brock at #137, Davey Lopes at #150, Moises Alou at #164, Jason Kendall at #174, Johnny Callison at #176, Gary Gaetti at #180, Bill Madlock at #193, Rick Monday at #199, Richie Asburn at #229 (missing quite a few of his seasons), Lance Johnson at #233, Gary Matthews at #240 and Cliff Floyd at #261. It's quite possible I missed a few names (which have now been added thanks to WISCGRAD).

- Lineup for Saturday's game versus the Brewers:

LF Soriano, CF Sam Fuld, 3B Ramirez, 1B Micah Hoffpauir, 2B Mike
Fontenot, RF Reed Johnson, C Mark Johnson, SS Darwin Barney, P Carlos
Zambrano

- Wade Miller signs a minor league deal with the Blue Jays; Andrew Sisco signs one with the Athletics.

- Quote-master Ryan Dempster:

"I don't know a lot of people hitting 1.000 right now in
the Cactus League. I'm sure that will dwindle down, but I'm going to
ride it out while I can."

Comments

Rafael Palmeiro 28, Jim Edmonds 38, Kenny Lofton 43, Billy Williams 59, Mark Grace 103, Luis Gonzalez 105, Gary Mathews 240, Cliff Floyd 261.

Edmonds at 38!

wow, that's awful on my part...thanks...I'll add them.

lofton and vizquel in CLE was just...awesome. glove and athletic clinic, daily.

Kosuke 1-4 with a 1B and 2K's in Japan's 14-2 romp over Korea. Johjima homered.

The Dutch beat the Dominicans 3-2. I'm going to need a moment to let that sink in.

speaking of, what are the rules for the Dutch team? Something like Aruba, Netherlands and Netherlands Antilles?

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch."

on a ST game earlier in the week some announce crew was making fun of Team Italy's members and how they pick them...

stuff along the lines of "you at spaghetti last week, you're on the team!" "your mom's uncle's best friend had an italian housekeeper in 1912...you're in!"

Sidney Ponson is from Aruba. Former Cub great Randall Simon, Sharnol Adriana, and Yurendell De Caster, among others, are from Curacao.

Luis Matos is puzzlingly from Puerto Rico.

Marmol looked pretty good in his inning.

Peavy does not look great. Still not out of the first, already 1-0 Canada.

That was freaking funny!

hopefully that self-hating pile of negative space made enough coke/liquor money off this appearance to put himself out of his misery.

words can't describe how useless i find artie lange or his friends that love to sit around and watch him kill himself.

Between Artie Lang and Kevin Youkilis, you've really had a "Get Off My Lawn" type day today.

damn kids...

FYI

pretty good article this morning in the NY Times about Geo

parachat is rocking...okay just 2 of us...join the fun.

Cubs game is on MLB.tv and WGN

FYI: If you have MLB Premium, the USA vs Canada game is available today on the Beta version of the new MLB Media player.

Check it out!!