Cashner Hurt and Sale News
Just a few quick hits worth mentioning...
- First round pick Andrew Cashner, who was cut yesterday, has a strained oblique.
- Bud says talks are still ongoing on the sale betweeen Ricketts and the Tribune. It doesn't sound too optimistic that it will get done by Opening Day with Selig saying that there are still issues that need to be resolved.
- Fukudome went 1-4 with a run scored for Team Japan in their victory over Korea.
- The top 300 position players of the Retrosheet era (since 1955) by WAR. Cubs on the list were Rafael Palmeiro at #28, Jim Edmonds at #38, Ron Santo at #47, Kenny Lofton at #43, Billy Williams at #59, Ryne Sandberg at #63, Ernie Banks at #67 (wouldn't include his 1954 season or 10 games in 1953), Sammy Sosa at #70, Andre Dawson at #83, Fred McGriff at #90, Ron Cey at #96, Mark Grace at #103, Luis Gonzalez at #105, Nomar Garciaparra at #123, Lou Brock at #137, Davey Lopes at #150, Moises Alou at #164, Jason Kendall at #174, Johnny Callison at #176, Gary Gaetti at #180, Bill Madlock at #193, Rick Monday at #199, Richie Asburn at #229 (missing quite a few of his seasons), Lance Johnson at #233, Gary Matthews at #240 and Cliff Floyd at #261. It's quite possible I missed a few names (which have now been added thanks to WISCGRAD).
- Lineup for Saturday's game versus the Brewers:
LF Soriano, CF Sam Fuld, 3B Ramirez, 1B Micah Hoffpauir, 2B Mike
Fontenot, RF Reed Johnson, C Mark Johnson, SS Darwin Barney, P Carlos
- Quote-master Ryan Dempster:
"I don't know a lot of people hitting 1.000 right now in
the Cactus League. I'm sure that will dwindle down, but I'm going to
ride it out while I can."
"Like the Chapman deal for Cubs from on-field POV, wish I didn't now have to feel lousy following an otherwise likable Cubs team." @jonahkeri
pretty much sums up my feelings
You mean Yankees?
You do have a point. The TheoJed certainly would need to address this in a transparent way. Milton Bradley was no help to the team.
FWIW, the Cubs would get a compensation draft pick between the 1st & 2nd rounds (around #35) if they extend a Qualifying Offer to Chapman post-2016 (probably about $17M), Chapman declines, and then he signs with another MLB club before next year's draft.
This all assumes Chapman doesn't want to be a free agent and possibly sign a $20MM+/year deal. We all know free agents get overpaid, sometimes dramatically (Hello, JayHey!). Not sure why Chapman would agree to the extension. If i'm is agent, I would tell him I could get I'm a $100M deal as a FA.
I'll root for the uniform and imagine it's left-handed Rod Beck or Randy Myers out there I suppose.
Amen to this. I guess it's gonna happen and I'm gonna have to suck it up but I really despise domestic abusers with every bone in my body and cannot stand them on any team I root for.
I just prefer they don't acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.
So you'd rather go with Blown Save guy, when you can trade a prospect who is blocked for one piece that could get you over the top to the Big Dance? That is pretty old thinking. This is not a move that they cannot recover from if it goes south. But the upside is potentially historic.
I'd prefer it not happen too.
it's a hell of a blockbuster, but it's for a guy who pitches 1/3rd of a season at an extreme premium considering the guy being traded and if the early extension $$$ rumors are true.
it's one of those things that is bringing a guy at the top his game, but something is nagging me that this trade piece could have been put to better use.
a huge part of me is all "hell yeah, top of the line producer"...another part of me is "hmm, that for that?"
Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.
obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees
Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.
Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.
But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.
I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.