Cashner Hurt and Sale News
Just a few quick hits worth mentioning...
- First round pick Andrew Cashner, who was cut yesterday, has a strained oblique.
- Bud says talks are still ongoing on the sale betweeen Ricketts and the Tribune. It doesn't sound too optimistic that it will get done by Opening Day with Selig saying that there are still issues that need to be resolved.
- Fukudome went 1-4 with a run scored for Team Japan in their victory over Korea.
- The top 300 position players of the Retrosheet era (since 1955) by WAR. Cubs on the list were Rafael Palmeiro at #28, Jim Edmonds at #38, Ron Santo at #47, Kenny Lofton at #43, Billy Williams at #59, Ryne Sandberg at #63, Ernie Banks at #67 (wouldn't include his 1954 season or 10 games in 1953), Sammy Sosa at #70, Andre Dawson at #83, Fred McGriff at #90, Ron Cey at #96, Mark Grace at #103, Luis Gonzalez at #105, Nomar Garciaparra at #123, Lou Brock at #137, Davey Lopes at #150, Moises Alou at #164, Jason Kendall at #174, Johnny Callison at #176, Gary Gaetti at #180, Bill Madlock at #193, Rick Monday at #199, Richie Asburn at #229 (missing quite a few of his seasons), Lance Johnson at #233, Gary Matthews at #240 and Cliff Floyd at #261. It's quite possible I missed a few names (which have now been added thanks to WISCGRAD).
- Lineup for Saturday's game versus the Brewers:
LF Soriano, CF Sam Fuld, 3B Ramirez, 1B Micah Hoffpauir, 2B Mike
Fontenot, RF Reed Johnson, C Mark Johnson, SS Darwin Barney, P Carlos
- Quote-master Ryan Dempster:
"I don't know a lot of people hitting 1.000 right now in
the Cactus League. I'm sure that will dwindle down, but I'm going to
ride it out while I can."
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.
Eh, I read it as tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek. VEB seems to have good heads on their shoulders.