Cashner Hurt and Sale News

Just a few quick hits worth mentioning...

- First round pick Andrew Cashner, who was cut yesterday, has a strained oblique.

- Bud says talks are still ongoing on the sale betweeen Ricketts and the Tribune. It doesn't sound too optimistic that it will get done by Opening Day with Selig saying that there are still issues that need to be resolved.

- Fukudome went 1-4 with a run scored for Team Japan in their victory over Korea.

- The top 300 position players of the Retrosheet era (since 1955) by WAR.  Cubs on the list were Rafael Palmeiro at #28, Jim Edmonds at #38, Ron Santo at #47, Kenny Lofton at #43, Billy Williams at #59, Ryne Sandberg at #63, Ernie Banks at #67 (wouldn't include his 1954 season or 10 games in 1953), Sammy Sosa at #70, Andre Dawson at #83, Fred McGriff at #90, Ron Cey at #96, Mark Grace at #103, Luis Gonzalez at #105, Nomar Garciaparra at #123, Lou Brock at #137, Davey Lopes at #150, Moises Alou at #164, Jason Kendall at #174, Johnny Callison at #176, Gary Gaetti at #180, Bill Madlock at #193, Rick Monday at #199, Richie Asburn at #229 (missing quite a few of his seasons), Lance Johnson at #233, Gary Matthews at #240 and Cliff Floyd at #261. It's quite possible I missed a few names (which have now been added thanks to WISCGRAD).

- Lineup for Saturday's game versus the Brewers:

LF Soriano, CF Sam Fuld, 3B Ramirez, 1B Micah Hoffpauir, 2B Mike
Fontenot, RF Reed Johnson, C Mark Johnson, SS Darwin Barney, P Carlos
Zambrano

- Wade Miller signs a minor league deal with the Blue Jays; Andrew Sisco signs one with the Athletics.

- Quote-master Ryan Dempster:

"I don't know a lot of people hitting 1.000 right now in
the Cactus League. I'm sure that will dwindle down, but I'm going to
ride it out while I can."

Comments

Rafael Palmeiro 28, Jim Edmonds 38, Kenny Lofton 43, Billy Williams 59, Mark Grace 103, Luis Gonzalez 105, Gary Mathews 240, Cliff Floyd 261.

Edmonds at 38!

wow, that's awful on my part...thanks...I'll add them.

lofton and vizquel in CLE was just...awesome. glove and athletic clinic, daily.

Kosuke 1-4 with a 1B and 2K's in Japan's 14-2 romp over Korea. Johjima homered.

The Dutch beat the Dominicans 3-2. I'm going to need a moment to let that sink in.

speaking of, what are the rules for the Dutch team? Something like Aruba, Netherlands and Netherlands Antilles?

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch."

on a ST game earlier in the week some announce crew was making fun of Team Italy's members and how they pick them...

stuff along the lines of "you at spaghetti last week, you're on the team!" "your mom's uncle's best friend had an italian housekeeper in 1912...you're in!"

Sidney Ponson is from Aruba. Former Cub great Randall Simon, Sharnol Adriana, and Yurendell De Caster, among others, are from Curacao.

Luis Matos is puzzlingly from Puerto Rico.

Marmol looked pretty good in his inning.

Peavy does not look great. Still not out of the first, already 1-0 Canada.

That was freaking funny!

hopefully that self-hating pile of negative space made enough coke/liquor money off this appearance to put himself out of his misery.

words can't describe how useless i find artie lange or his friends that love to sit around and watch him kill himself.

Between Artie Lang and Kevin Youkilis, you've really had a "Get Off My Lawn" type day today.

damn kids...

FYI

pretty good article this morning in the NY Times about Geo

parachat is rocking...okay just 2 of us...join the fun.

Cubs game is on MLB.tv and WGN

FYI: If you have MLB Premium, the USA vs Canada game is available today on the Beta version of the new MLB Media player.

Check it out!!

• Who is this Arrieta guy? Can I get the old one back please?

The E-Man 1 hour 1 min ago view
  • Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.

billybucks 1 hour 5 min ago view
  • ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

• bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

• chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

• the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

• Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

• Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 7 hours 7 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 7 hours 31 min ago view