Cashner Hurt and Sale News

Just a few quick hits worth mentioning...

- First round pick Andrew Cashner, who was cut yesterday, has a strained oblique.

- Bud says talks are still ongoing on the sale betweeen Ricketts and the Tribune. It doesn't sound too optimistic that it will get done by Opening Day with Selig saying that there are still issues that need to be resolved.

- Fukudome went 1-4 with a run scored for Team Japan in their victory over Korea.

- The top 300 position players of the Retrosheet era (since 1955) by WAR.  Cubs on the list were Rafael Palmeiro at #28, Jim Edmonds at #38, Ron Santo at #47, Kenny Lofton at #43, Billy Williams at #59, Ryne Sandberg at #63, Ernie Banks at #67 (wouldn't include his 1954 season or 10 games in 1953), Sammy Sosa at #70, Andre Dawson at #83, Fred McGriff at #90, Ron Cey at #96, Mark Grace at #103, Luis Gonzalez at #105, Nomar Garciaparra at #123, Lou Brock at #137, Davey Lopes at #150, Moises Alou at #164, Jason Kendall at #174, Johnny Callison at #176, Gary Gaetti at #180, Bill Madlock at #193, Rick Monday at #199, Richie Asburn at #229 (missing quite a few of his seasons), Lance Johnson at #233, Gary Matthews at #240 and Cliff Floyd at #261. It's quite possible I missed a few names (which have now been added thanks to WISCGRAD).

- Lineup for Saturday's game versus the Brewers:

LF Soriano, CF Sam Fuld, 3B Ramirez, 1B Micah Hoffpauir, 2B Mike
Fontenot, RF Reed Johnson, C Mark Johnson, SS Darwin Barney, P Carlos
Zambrano

- Wade Miller signs a minor league deal with the Blue Jays; Andrew Sisco signs one with the Athletics.

- Quote-master Ryan Dempster:

"I don't know a lot of people hitting 1.000 right now in
the Cactus League. I'm sure that will dwindle down, but I'm going to
ride it out while I can."

Comments

Rafael Palmeiro 28, Jim Edmonds 38, Kenny Lofton 43, Billy Williams 59, Mark Grace 103, Luis Gonzalez 105, Gary Mathews 240, Cliff Floyd 261.

Edmonds at 38!

wow, that's awful on my part...thanks...I'll add them.

lofton and vizquel in CLE was just...awesome. glove and athletic clinic, daily.

Kosuke 1-4 with a 1B and 2K's in Japan's 14-2 romp over Korea. Johjima homered.

The Dutch beat the Dominicans 3-2. I'm going to need a moment to let that sink in.

speaking of, what are the rules for the Dutch team? Something like Aruba, Netherlands and Netherlands Antilles?

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch."

on a ST game earlier in the week some announce crew was making fun of Team Italy's members and how they pick them...

stuff along the lines of "you at spaghetti last week, you're on the team!" "your mom's uncle's best friend had an italian housekeeper in 1912...you're in!"

Sidney Ponson is from Aruba. Former Cub great Randall Simon, Sharnol Adriana, and Yurendell De Caster, among others, are from Curacao.

Luis Matos is puzzlingly from Puerto Rico.

Marmol looked pretty good in his inning.

Peavy does not look great. Still not out of the first, already 1-0 Canada.

That was freaking funny!

hopefully that self-hating pile of negative space made enough coke/liquor money off this appearance to put himself out of his misery.

words can't describe how useless i find artie lange or his friends that love to sit around and watch him kill himself.

Between Artie Lang and Kevin Youkilis, you've really had a "Get Off My Lawn" type day today.

damn kids...

FYI

pretty good article this morning in the NY Times about Geo

parachat is rocking...okay just 2 of us...join the fun.

Cubs game is on MLB.tv and WGN

FYI: If you have MLB Premium, the USA vs Canada game is available today on the Beta version of the new MLB Media player.

Check it out!!

• crunch 4 hours 19 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 4 hours 19 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 4 hours 52 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 5 hours 16 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 24 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 34 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 53 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.

crunch 16 hours 11 sec ago view