Cubs Sign German, Send Five to Minor League Camp

Apparently unhappy with what they've seen so far from Luis Rivas, the Cubs have signed 30-year old super-sub IF-OF Esteban German to a minor league contract, with an NRI to Spring Training. German was released by the Kansas City Royals last Friday.

In 388 MLB games (with OAK, TEX, and mostly KC), German has played 2B-3B-SS-LF-CF, and even has gone behind the plate on ocacasion. A right-handed hitter, German has hit 277/358/383 over his big league career, with 28 SB (14 CS).

German possibly has a chance to make the Cubs 25-man Opening Day roster, although it would probably require the Cubs going with an 11-man pitching staff. Otherwise he will probably end up at Iowa.

In addition, the Cubs have cut five players, optioning OF Richie Robnett (acquired from OAK in the Michael Wuertz deal) to AAA Iowa, and sending Pitchers J. R. Mathes, Brian Schlitter, and Matt Smith, and Catcher Steve Clevenger to minor league camp. None of the cuts are a surprise. Contrary to what it says in the Official Press Release, the Cubs big league camp Spring Training roster actually now stands at 54 (not 53). They didn't count Esteban German when they added up the total).

Also, veteran 3B Corey Koskie has arrived at Cubs camp, and will be given a chance to show what he can do and if he has anything left. The 35-year old Koskie was a member of Team Canada in the WBC, after missing the 2006 and 2007 seasons with Post-Concussion Syndrome.

My guess is that Koskie will go to Iowa to start the season as insurance in case something bad happens to Aramis Ramirez, with the understanding that he can request his release every 30 days (after 30 days, after 60 days, etc). The Cubs have had that type of arrangement in the past with veteran players who agree to play at AAA.

Comments

I REALLY hope another Reed Johnson-type player falls into our laps at the end of spring training... we should go after Joe Beimel and see if we can sign him for 2/$3M, to get a second lefty in the pen.

Didn't the clubhouse go alcohol free a year or so ago?

...

Hmm. I kind of figured this would happen when he was released. Not a bad backup, I think.

put on waivers by the A's...

Thanks, Phil.

Also-- what are you seeing in some of these ST outfielders like Robnett, Deeds, Snyder, Fuld, Dubois, Taguchi? (I don't include J. Fox in this list because it seems he's no longer considered an OF-er).

I know what their stats tell me, and from what you've written about this summer's ST games (and of course we have a little bit of history on Fuld, Dubois, and Taguchi).

But how do they compare to one another? Do any of them have a shot to contribute (this year, or in the future)?

rock on,

ROMERO

Boston Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester has given an interview to Esquire magazine in which he contrasts former teammate Manny Ramirez to cancer.

"The two don't even compare," Lester said. "Ramirez was some eccentric wacko I used to work with. Cancer kills thousands and thousands of people every year."

Wow. What kind of douche asked that question?

Well, it was a follow-up to Papelbon calling Ramirez a cancer.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean you need to call up a cancer survivor to validate at metaphor.

"He used cancer as a metaphor...quick! get me someone with actual cancer."

"He also said he's a real slave to his greed." "Ok, get me a black guy too!"

Where is this Lester quote. For the life of me I can't find it.

[Edit, I see this is already been answered]

I'm confused, the Esquire interview was with Papelbon, not Lester and that link doesn't mention Lester at all, nor did a web search come up with anything.

where's the Lester quote from?

From The Onion, or The Heckler, if I wrote for those sites.

Um, sorry for all the confusion, guys.

well-played then my friend....

Funny. I didn't even click the link, I was just responding to Stevens and WISC. Carry on.

Question AZ Phil...

I'm trying to keep track of the Cubs' camp numbers. I thought they were at 53 with German. Koskie isn't official yet (he still has to pass a physical, I thought). Once Koskie is official, then it goes to 54, correct? Reading over the papers and blogs, sounds like he hasn't been cleared as of yet.

Just wondering...thanks!

Not sure how he managed this, but LARRY ROTHSCHILD just got tossed out of the Cubs Angels game.

In Tempe, Vs Angels, 2nd squad, Trammel managing. Gathright and Theriot ground out, Micah singles up the middle. Bradley K's looking on a 1-2 count.```Gaudin faces Figgins (GO to Scales at 2nd). Ibar works the count and walks on a 3-1 count. Kendrick flies out to Joey who has to chug to get it. Morales chops one to Scales toward center, tries the backhand flip but is too late to Theriot at second. But Rivera pops up to short right to end the threat. ````Doug Deeds leads off the 2nd. Angels announcers are nuts, as they say Cubs got swept in the AL playoffs last year, as happened the year before in the AL west. Deeds K's looking. Scales GO to 2nd. Taguchi fans on a 3-2 pitch from Mosley.````First batter in the Angels 2nd pops out to Deeds in right. Brandon Wood works Gaudin to 3-2 and Chad misses, ball 4. Buddy shoots one to right center, Wood to third. First and third one out. Pettit fouls a couple off then grounds to Rivas at third, "nice stop" to 2nd for one and not in time at first. Figgins singles past 2nd, one base advance. Ibar walks on 4 pitches. Rothschild to the mound. Gaudin nibbles the count on Kendrick to 2-2, 3-2 payoff is ball 4 just misses. Morales hits the 1st offering over the scoreboard for the slam. Rivera singles just off Rivas glove and Chad is done. 6 runs, 3 walks so far. Justin Berg (Matt Lawton trade) now pitching. Rivas commits an error, dropping the ball, shoulda been 3 outs. Theriot stops the bleeding with a nice throw to put out Wood. ````Mark Johnson pops to right center on 2 pitches. Rivas GO to Ibar. Rothschild get tossed by the home plate ump, apparently for arguing some of the close Gaudin pitches. Strike out ends the first time through the Cubs lineup. Sorry if there are name spelling problems for the Angels. 6-o Angels, bottom 3rd.

Thanks for the play-by-play!

WTF is up with Gaudin?!

Marshall looked good again today, going into the 5th. The rest of the bullpen in that game also did well. Fontenot continues to hit. And in the other game Chad Fox continues to hold up, another perfect inning with a K.

Looking like a Heilman/Marshall battle at the moment. Still early I guess.
Damn, Heilman has 12K in 8 IP, but Marshall's ERA is under 1.

If they both continue to pitch well, they will both get the opportunity to start. Somebody in that rotation is going to miss games. If not, Heilman sure looks like he could be dominating in the bullpen—those Ks are encouraging.

Chad Fox: wasting bullets in Spring Training for too long.

I figure he's got about 200-300 in-game pitches in his elbow per year. He shouldn't use them in March.

Actually, I'm impressed that he's still in baseball. Rehab is never easy, so he must have some serious determination to stick around this long. As long as the Cubs don't let somebody go (an out of options youngster or a Rule 5 pick) in order to keep him on the active roster, I wish him lots of luck.

No way man, I say let him pitch whenever he feels like pitching. You want to start games? Sure.

German = Macias...

Miles=Macias

Esteban German is actually a decent player. The cubs should have waited on a guy like this intead of giving Aaron Miles the contract that he got for 2 years.

Submitted by Cubbug on Fri, 03/13/2009 - 2:42pm.

Question AZ Phil... I'm trying to keep track of the Cubs' camp numbers. I thought they were at 53 with German. Koskie isn't official yet (he still has to pass a physical, I thought).

Once Koskie is official, then it goes to 54, correct? Reading over the papers and blogs, sounds like he hasn't been cleared as of yet. Just wondering...thanks!

===================================

CUB BUG: I don't know about Koskie's official status, but I included him on the roster, and so now cutting five and adding German makes 54 in big league camp.

Koskie passed his physical with Team Canada, so I would think he would be cleared to play by the Cubs medical staff, too, but you never know.

Submitted by Romero on Fri, 03/13/2009 - 1:22pm.

Thanks, Phil.

==================================================

ROMERO: Brad Snyder is football player-type "toolsy" guy with a plus-arm, plus-speed, and plus-power, but he is not a good hitter (lots & lots of swings & misses). You can see what scouts saw in him, but he is probably still as raw today as he was at Ball State, and time is running out on him (he's out of minor league options).

So Taguchi is probably in camp in case anything bad happens to Soriano or Reed Johnson before Opening Day, but otherwise he doesn't have a slot. He's an athletic defender, but has little power and he isn't much of a hitter. The Cubs might offer him the 4th OF slot at Iowa if he wants it, or otherwise he can probably get his release whenever he wants it.

Richie Robnett has plus-power, slightly above-averag speed, and he's an OK outfielder, but his arm isn't as good as I thought it would be. He's basically a young, raw Jacque Jones.

Sam Fuld is a solid player, a Gold Glove quality defender in CF witrh an outstanding arm. He is a good hitter with surprising power for a guy his size. He lost a step after the sports hernia surgery a couple of years agom, however, and so base-stealing is no longer a big part of his game. He should be the CF and lead-off hitter at Iowa in 2009, and would probably get the call if anything bad happens to Fukudome or Gathright.

Jason Dubois will likely get released sometime before Opening Day, because he's essentially a 1B-DH right now, and Jake Fox probably will get that gig at Iowa. Dubois should be able to find a job in AAA with another organization, though.

"I actually like Doug Deeds more than Snyder or Robnett. Deeds is an athletic defender in LF and RF with an OK arm, and he is a polished hitter with a solid line-drive stroke and occasional power. He has just average speed, though, probably not quite enough to play CF."

Sounds like Reed Johnson.

robnett running seems to have a nice eye for picking up the pitcher along with a nice first few steps to gain his momentum..."explosive" might be an overstatement, but he seems to get going real quick.

that said, ive seen do this only a handful of times, but how he ran stood out to me.

• rare air though if he can keep it under 2. Sounds like Maddon already made up his mind though and Hendricks seems like the sort that would want to earn it. Guessing he gets a quick hook if he's still under 2 after 5 innings.

Fwiw, he can give up 1 ER in 5 innings (or more) and still be under 2. If he gives up 2 ER, he would need throw 9 IP to keep it under 2. 1 ER in 4 IP would give him an ERA of exactly 2.

In terms of WAR, it's still Scherzer by a lot (6.4), then Cueto (5.6), Lester (5.5), Kershaw (5.5), Roark (5.4), and then Hendricks (5.1)

Rob G. 40 min 46 sec ago view
  • Boring lineup tonight in terms of guys trying to reach milestones -- no KB (40 HR), Addy (100 RBI) or JHey (can he keep it going?), and Lackey isn't really going for anything, plus the team has already reached 100 wins. I get the "rest" thing, although they will have 4 days off after Sunday, but....bleh.

billybucks 1 hour 24 min ago view
  • Agree -- I think you want to keep him on a regular schedule.

billybucks 1 hour 44 min ago view
  • Ramos torn ACL

jacos 2 hours 12 min ago view
  • Sure, its not about his record.

jacos 2 hours 13 min ago view
  • Do you start him Sunday or not?

@jonmorosi Pitchers w/ sub-2.00 ERA in year of 185+ IP this century: Pedro ’00, Clemens ’05, Kershaw ’13/’14, Arrieta ’15, Greinke ’15, Hendricks ’16.

• Yeah -- that would be rough for him. But, Monty is getting people out, he's a lefty and he has experience working out of the bullpen. Hammel? None of the above.

• even if he's not starting, abandoning hammel would be a bit of a 'screw you.' i think it might be -monty +hammel, but it's speculation.

either way, someone's gonna be disappointed.

• Joe said he is leaning towards 11 pitchers and 14 position players.

- 4 starters, Chapman, Rondon, Strop, CJ, Wood, Grimm, Monty. No dice for Cahill or Smith.
    - 3 catchers, Rizz, Zo, Addy, KB, Javy, Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Coghlan, TLS and then Sczcur over Almora?

• Cubs 3B Jason Vosler made two really bad throws on consecutive AB in the 8th. Fortunately the game was no longer in doubt at the time

The first one was a one-hop lob that allowed the batter to reach base on an infield single, and the second was air-mailed so far over the first-baseman's head that it went over the fence and landed in Field #4.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 17 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Despite the HR, Donnie Dewees is really more of a slash hitter (the HR was an opposite-field line-drive) who can accumulate lots of doubles & triples. He's also a good bunter and can get on base that way, too. Although he was thrown out trying to steal in the game, he's actually a good base-stealer and baserunner.

Defensively he has plus-range and tracks fly balls OK, so he can play CF, but he has a rag arm that requires the middle infielders to go out further into CF to make relays.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 18 min ago view
  • I don't know how many of you remember Bobby Knoop, who played 2B for the Angels, White Sox, and Royals back in the day, but he is a coach-emeritus for the Angels, and works with the infielders at Minor League Camp, Extended Spring Training, and Instructs. He's pretty spry for a 77-year old, and he really knows his shit.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 45 min ago view
  • With a big lead, Chapman was throwing sliders and changeups, something he's reluctant to do in a save situation. (Len and Jim covered this.)

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 54 min ago view
  • Maybe they have a bad owner, I don't know, but they still have players and fans and a franchise, all devastated by this loss of life. Plus, everybody who follows baseball is a fan of a guy like this. It's why I used the word tragedy, which other people throw around but I try to be careful with.

I'm at an age where I remember old incidents better than recent ones, but I have to go back to Herb Score for something as disturbing.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 10 min ago view
  • That was Dee Gordon's only HR this year. Wow.

• Thank you PHIL.

Glad you avoided temps in the 100s.

I remember you mentioning Dewees needng plenty of work in th IF. How are his OF instincts?

Also, did see much of Satchel McElroy? Only Satchel I have heard about other than the "orignal" and one of Woody Allen's kids.