Game 101 Thread / Cubs @ Diamondbacks (3 of 3)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP *Ted Lilly SP *Doug Davis
  9-6, 4.49 ERA, 114 K, 43 BB, 122.1 IP
3-4, 4.14 ERA, 61 K, 38 BB, 74 IP

LF Alfonso Soriano SS *Stephen Drew
SS Ryan Theriot 2B #Augie Ojeda
1B Derrek Lee LF Conor Jackson
3B Aramis Ramirez 3B Mark Reynolds
C Geovany Soto CF Chris Young
RF *Kosuke Fukudome 1B *Tony Clark
2B Mark DeRosa C Chris Snyder
CF Reed Johnson RF Chris Burke
P *Ted Lilly P *Doug Davis

Before the game, the Cubs activated Alfonso Soriano and Scott Eyre and demoted Kevin Hart and Micah Hoffpauir. May your bat be blessed with many a run-scoring hit, Mr. Soriano.

During the game, Lilly and Davis will face-off again after their epic Game 2 duel from last October.  May you not throw down your glove in anger this time around, Mr. Lilly.

Please win!

Comments

I don' care if he's rusty. We need him back.

Welcome back Alf!

A leadoff homerun would be just the welcome he needs.

how's about a leadoff strikeout? =p

damn davis...at least he got 6 pitches outta it.

This lineup sucks.

Ain't no way the Cubs will be able to hold on to first place by the end of the year with their road play.

If they are fortunate enough to even make the playoffs, going deep into it would be truly amazing.

up 1-0 in the 5th but Prince and Yost just got ejected.

....annnnd that's your ballgame.

Well, first place was fun while it lasted.

....annnnd that's your ballgame.

Well, first place was fun while it lasted.

....annnnd that's your ballgame.

Well, first place was fun while it lasted.

wow -- sorry for the multiple pathetic posts.

CC with a 3-hit shutout.

Yikes.

WOW TED he's amazing, he can hit, steal, pick guys off at 3rd...he can do everything....

Oh, yeah, well, there's pitching...

Guess ARam forgot how to run the bases during his time away from them.

ALright CUBS!!
Keep going!!!

Two series in a row have to salvage the last game of the series. They need to take 3 out of 4 vs the Marlins and do it in pretty convincing fashion. A split in Milwaukee would be fine with me, but I'm getting way ahead of myself.

If were doing predictions, we might as well go for a sweep of the Marlins.

• O&B: I think D. J. Wilson is a legit MLB prospect.

He is a hyperactive dynamo on the field, a protypical lead-off hitter who is looking to get on base any way he can, a triple machine (if there is such a thing) when he does make solid contact, a daring baserunner who goes berserk once he is on base, and a CF who plays a "no fear" crash & burn style of defense.

Guys like that sometimes get injured more-often than the average player, but if he can stay healthy and continue to progress, I believe he will be an MLB CF, or at worst a 4th OF.

Arizona Phil 5 min 4 sec ago view
  • The hot start was nice, but it won't always come easy. It's nice to see them have to work for it every once in a while.

Ryno 2 hours 12 min ago view
  • Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?

• Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 5 hours 23 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 12 hours 19 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 12 hours 33 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 13 hours 22 min ago view
  • That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard

Eric S 13 hours 25 min ago view
  • Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder

Eric S 13 hours 34 min ago view
  • Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?

That was extremely disappointing.

• Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.