Iowa Cubs Get Stung by Bees
I had so much fun watching the Iowa Cubs yesterday at Fitch Park, I decided to follow the Cubs' AAA affiliate to neighboring Tempe today as they took on the Angels AAA affiliate (the PCL Salt Lake Bees) at the Angels Minor League Complex at Diablo Park.
While it isn't unusual for one or more Cubs major leaguers to play in a AAA game (esprcially when the big club has a night game), that wasn't the case today
Kyle Reynolds smashed a two-run homer and Doug Deeds blasted a solo shot, but that's all the runs the Cubs could muster. And since tthe four Cubs pitchers were (mostly) ineffective, the I-Cubs lost, 7-3.
Here is today's abridged box score (Iowa Cubs players only). Some of the more observant among you might note that most all of the I-Cubs who played today were at big league camp not too long ago...
1. Sam Fuld, CF: 0-5 (4-3, 6-3, P-6, P-5, 3-U)
2. Luis Rivas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, Ks, 6-4-3 DP)
3. Bobby Scales, 3B: 1-3 (BB, Ks, 6-3, 1B)
4. Jake Fox, 1B: 0-4 (FC, FP-3, F-7, Ks)
5a. Jason Dubois, LF: 0-3 (Ks, Ks, 5-3)
5b. Richie Robnett, LF: 0-1 (P-6)
6. Doug Deeds, RF: 2-4 (Ks, SOLO HR, Ks, 2B)
7a. Welington Castillo, C: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, BB + R)
7b. Chris Robinson, C: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Kyle Reynolds, DH:1-4 (1-3, F-9, TWO-RUN HR, Ks)
9. Matt Camp, SS: 1-3 (BB, L-7, 1B, 2-3)
1. Jesse Estrada - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HR (61 pitches - 33 strikes, 0/6 GO/FO)
2. Brian Schlitter - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K (30 pitches - 18 strikes, 1/1 GO/FO)
3. Justin Berg - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K (19 pitches - 11 strikes)
4. Jeff Stevens - 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K (24 pitches - 12 strikes)
NOTE: Two very lengthy innings were terminated early (prior to three outs).
Welington Castillo: 0-1 CS
Chris Robinson: 0-2 CS
Welington Castillo - bounced throw past second base on SB attempt, allowing baserunner to take 3rd.
Sam Fuld (runner at 3rd)
WEATHER: EXTREMELY windy. Absolutely ridiculous.
The Cubs AA affiliate (Tennessee Smokies) played the Angels AA affiliate on an adjoining field at Diablo, and while I am unable to provide the abridged box score for that game, I did observe CF Brandon Guyer hit a garagantuan solo HR over the LF fence.
Well Ross is out, so they had to bring in Rodney
these ties and leads being immediately pissed away is getting old
btw, Madbum vs Groin-key tonight
This game is sucking brainless donkey dicks
c.richard pitching in a game where the team is only down by 1?
...2 batters, 0 outs, and 1 run later it's grimm's turn.
Be nice if someone other than the Ace was capable of a shutdown inning after the Cubs score. Can't even get the freaking pitcher out.
...and then he gives up a run, and the lead, on a single by the pitcher. still, 2 runs through 5 is good for him.
I was focusing on the mechanics of the swing, which was awful earlier. He looked ok up there that way.
Two strikes, slider out of the zone, and he swings. Looks familiar. It really makes Bryant's plate discipline look very impressive.
haren's made it through 4 without shitting himself...only 1 run on him. neat.