A Rosa By No Other Name
Jovan Rosa had three hits, including a grand slam HR crushed over the CF fence, as the Daytona Cubs and Stocton Ports (Oakland A's Hi-"A" affiliate) played to an 8-8 tie at the Papago Park Sports Complex in Phoenix this afternoon.
A 21-year old corner infielder signed by the Cubs as a "Draft & Follow" out of Lake City JC (FL) in May 2007, Rosa led the Midwest League in doubles last season with 43.
Here is today's abridged box score (D-Cubs players only). Note that Russ Canzler and Marquez Smith have been demoted from AA Tennessee to Daytona, apparently an indication that OF Brandon Guyer and INF Jonathan Mota may have made the Tenneessee Smokies Opening Day roster.
Also, Tyler Colvin (rehabbing from Fall 2008 TJS) will be the DH with Daytona until he is ready to return to the outfield at either Tennessee or Iowa later this season.(Daytona plays in a league that uses the DH in all games, while AA Tennessee and AAA Iowa only use the DH when playing an American League affiliiate on the road).
1. Nate Samson, 2B: 2-5 (1B, 6-3, 1-3, 1B, F-9 - 1 R)
2a. Mark Reed, C: 0-2 (1-3 SH, K, E-4, BB - 1 R, 1 SB)
2b. John Contreras, C: 0-1 (K)
3. Tyler Colvin, DH: 1-4 (L-8, 2B, BB, K, K)
4. Jovan Rosa, 1B-3B: 3-5 (K, P-4, 1B, HR, 1B - 2 R, 4 RBI)
5. Dylan Johnston, RF 1-4 (3B, 4-3, BB, K, K - 2 R, 1 SB)
6. Russ Canzler, LF-1B: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, 1-4-3, K - 1 RBI)
7. Drew Rundle, CF: 0-2 (6-3, 4-3, BB, BB - 1 SB)
8a. Marquez Smith, 3B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K - 1 R)
8b. Jonathan Wyatt, LF: 0-1 (P-5)
9a. Starlin Castro, SS: 1-3 (5-3, K, BB - 1 R)
9b. Marwin Gonzalez, SS: 0-0 (BB)
1. James Leverton - 3.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP, 4/5 GO/FO
2. Robert Hernandez - 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO
3. Chris Siegfried - 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO)
4. Erik Hamren - 2.0, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO)
Marwin Gonzalez - muffed ground ball with bases loaded, allowing run to score
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)
What Rob G said. I can't speak for Piittsburgh, but the other end of the state has had absolute crap weather for two days. Perfect day to take it easy.
tarp came off 10 minutes ago...let's do this.