A Rosa By No Other Name
Jovan Rosa had three hits, including a grand slam HR crushed over the CF fence, as the Daytona Cubs and Stocton Ports (Oakland A's Hi-"A" affiliate) played to an 8-8 tie at the Papago Park Sports Complex in Phoenix this afternoon.
A 21-year old corner infielder signed by the Cubs as a "Draft & Follow" out of Lake City JC (FL) in May 2007, Rosa led the Midwest League in doubles last season with 43.
Here is today's abridged box score (D-Cubs players only). Note that Russ Canzler and Marquez Smith have been demoted from AA Tennessee to Daytona, apparently an indication that OF Brandon Guyer and INF Jonathan Mota may have made the Tenneessee Smokies Opening Day roster.
Also, Tyler Colvin (rehabbing from Fall 2008 TJS) will be the DH with Daytona until he is ready to return to the outfield at either Tennessee or Iowa later this season.(Daytona plays in a league that uses the DH in all games, while AA Tennessee and AAA Iowa only use the DH when playing an American League affiliiate on the road).
1. Nate Samson, 2B: 2-5 (1B, 6-3, 1-3, 1B, F-9 - 1 R)
2a. Mark Reed, C: 0-2 (1-3 SH, K, E-4, BB - 1 R, 1 SB)
2b. John Contreras, C: 0-1 (K)
3. Tyler Colvin, DH: 1-4 (L-8, 2B, BB, K, K)
4. Jovan Rosa, 1B-3B: 3-5 (K, P-4, 1B, HR, 1B - 2 R, 4 RBI)
5. Dylan Johnston, RF 1-4 (3B, 4-3, BB, K, K - 2 R, 1 SB)
6. Russ Canzler, LF-1B: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, 1-4-3, K - 1 RBI)
7. Drew Rundle, CF: 0-2 (6-3, 4-3, BB, BB - 1 SB)
8a. Marquez Smith, 3B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K - 1 R)
8b. Jonathan Wyatt, LF: 0-1 (P-5)
9a. Starlin Castro, SS: 1-3 (5-3, K, BB - 1 R)
9b. Marwin Gonzalez, SS: 0-0 (BB)
1. James Leverton - 3.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP, 4/5 GO/FO
2. Robert Hernandez - 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO
3. Chris Siegfried - 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO)
4. Erik Hamren - 2.0, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO)
Marwin Gonzalez - muffed ground ball with bases loaded, allowing run to score
OK, boys -- find a way to win today.
There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:
-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100
Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel
Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.
Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.
For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.
He reminds me of a little of a young guy currently on the Cubs' DL, who is also tank-like in appearance.
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.