Desert Storm

The Cubs open a three game set in Phoenix tonight against a team battling their own set of injuries. For the D'Backs, it's Brandon Webb and Stephen Drew on the disabled list, although Tom Gordon should be activated for the series. So far on the season, the Snakes have scored the second least amount of runs while allowing the fifth most. I guess no better time to play them short-handed.

The Cubs go in with a two-man bench with Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez and Milton Bradley all sitting, and its unclear if any of them can even pinch-hit. The lineup, according to a Wittenmyer tweet, is Soriano, Theriot, Fukudome, Reed Johnson (yep, batting cleanup), Hoffpauir, Soto, Fontenot, Miles and Lilly. They'll try to scratch some runs against Dan Haren and his 1.38 ERA.

In good news, Carlos Marmol's bullpen session today went fine and should be available tomorrow. Aramis, Milton and possibly Lee could all be back before the end of the series Speaking of Lee, Bruce Levine wrote earlier today that Lee has been suffering from a bulging disc that results in upper-neck and lower-back pain...a result of a home plate collision sometime within the last 3 seasons. I can't recall the incident myself, so any Encyclopedia Brown's out there that can uncover when this happened, I'd like to know. Levine then wastes a few paragraphs explaining how Lee is a warrior for trying to play through the pain while Bradley sits through his groin issues. In the same paragraphs, he says how the neck and back injuries are basically contributing to Lee's poor performance. So Levine is basically advocating that Bradley play through the injuries to hurt the team. A grand plan indeed.....

On the top right sidebar, in the "Game Results" block, there's a link now for "Organizational Results". It'll take you to FirstInning.com and the boxscores from all the Cubs' affiliates from the night before.

Comments

best part of this series for me is that i dont care if i get stuck with the cubs or arz. feed cuz i like both booths. go EI.

Rob, what happened to the "Go Cubs Go" link after a W?

I could bring it back, but it's a lot easier to change the flag and info if I don't put it up because of the code involved.

If the team is doing well by August, I'll bring it back for the stretch run.

Fine, but if they're not doing well come August, I'll blame you for stealing their mojo. Fair?

Bradley available for a double switch if needed, him and Ramirez could be back in the lineup tomorrow. Lee probably not until Wednesday.

today...

My dish is out of commission for a few days. No better time than now, during a west coast trip in which I won't be able to stay up late enough to catch any of the games...

bb, broken bat single, Youklis flies out, then Bay 3-run HR, then Sizemore misses a ball on a dive and Lowell triples...

He is hitting 98 though pretty regularly.

According to Len,Bradley can play field tonite.

Starting tomorrow.

Jake Fox hit his 10th and 11th homeruns today for Iowa. He is just clubbing AAA pitching. Brad Snyder hit his 5th homerun and collected a total of 3 hits to raise his average to .297.

Put someone on the DL and get him up here. The fact that we have Reed Johnson batting cleanup is proof enough that he couldn't hurt.

Wtf?! Fuck you Hendry with your Joey Gathright and Aaron Fucking Miles!!!

aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggfhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

maybe if lou sits d. lee enough in first half he will piss
him off enough and he will wave his no trade clause.

lets go blackhawks 3-0 in third period

make that 3-1

todd bertuzzi sucks for many reasons

F ~ U ~ C ~ K

▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀

• Who is this Arrieta guy? Can I get the old one back please?

The E-Man 1 hour 5 min ago view
  • Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.

billybucks 1 hour 9 min ago view
  • ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

• bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

• chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

• the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

• Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

• Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

Old and Blue 7 hours 27 sec ago view
  • I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 7 hours 12 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 7 hours 36 min ago view