Game 19 Recap: Cubs 11, Diamondbacks 3
- First pitch swinging, Soriano hits one 413 feet to right center. Flyout. Damn.
- Theriot chops one up the middle, Felipe Lopez makes the throw to first. Two outs.
- The railing padding on the visitors' dugout protective fence is brought to you by Lone Buttes casino. Heh. Lone Buttes.
- Fukudome walks.
- Fukudome tries to steal, Montero makes a nice throw and gets Fukudome. End of inning.
- Z starts Lopez 3-1.fastball down the middle, Lopez lines one to deep center. Fukudome took a wrong turn on the ball, and it one-hops the wall for a double. Tough read, Brenly thinks it had a lot of slice on it.
- It does my heart good to know that Augie Ojeda still is employed as a Major League Baseball player.
- 3-1 on Ojeda, who's trying to bunt. Fastball, 3-2 count.
- Ojeda grounds one up the middle, 6-3 with Lopez going to third.
- and Tracy walks on four pitches. Egads.
- 3-1 on Reynolds. No control on the slider so far tonight
- Parachat points out that Len and Bob are sounding very subdued tonight. True, it's sort of odd.
- Roller to Theriot, Miles' throw just does compete the 6-4-3 double play. Nice escape by Z.
- Hoffpauir hits one 407 feet. Another flyout to center. Nuts.
- Bradley swings and misses at a change up inside, strikeout.
- Yet another warning-track flyout, as Fontenot hits one deep the opposite way to left-center. Inning over.
- Jackson flies to Fukudome in straight-away center, just short of the warning track. Lots of near-misses so far, on both sides
- Z gets his 1200th K (of his career, not this game, to dust off the old Sportscenter joke) when Chris Young stares at a slider
- and Wow, no sooner do I write the joke than Brenly says it. Uncanny.
- Montero rolls to Hoffpauir, unassisted
- Hill K's looking. Yusmeiro Petit is not this good.... Then again, the one game I saw at Wrigley last year, he beat us.
- Miles singles to straight-away center.
- Z shoots one through the 6-5 hole for a single. Miles to second.
- Soriano takes a rolling slider and lines one over the left-center wall, 3-run homer. 3-0 Cubs.
- Full count, Theriot takes a fastball low and away for the walk.
- Fukudome pops a curveball into shallow right-center. Young and Upton are playing deep, no one gets a great break on it, and it fall in for a hit.
- Hoffpauir grounds into the 6-4-3.
- Upton pops one down the left-field line for an out.
- Petit with a soft liner to Miles, who also makes a nice hop-catch.
- Heh, Len references the you-tube of Gathright jumping over a car. Len says he also does Ozzie Smith-like backflips.
- Lopez lines a single to right.
- Ojeda lines a slicing single to center, runners at 1 and 2.
- Tracy rolls into an easy 6-4 force.
- Bradley reaches down and lines a fastball into right for a single.
- Fontenot lines a homer over the right-field fence. Looks like a fastball that tailed back over the plate. Just a few feet short of the swimming pool. 5-0 Cubs.
- Hill lines one to the right of Lopez, into center for a single
- Full count to Miles, Hill is running. Miles bounces into a 4-3 force.
- Z also rolls into a 4-3, Hill to third.
- Soriano not nibbling as they pitch around him. Another slider off the corner, and he takes first base.
- Theriot lines a single to center, scoring Soriano. Petit out, Rauch in. 6-0 Cubs.
- Jon Rauch is enormous.
- Nice shot of how much space Rauch's number takes up on the back of his jersey, compared to Ojeda's
- 3-2 to Fukudome. A ton of curves so far from Rauch.
- Fukudome walks. Bases loaded for Hoffpauir.
- Hofpauir lines a sharp single to right, scoring Theriot. Upton makes a nice throw to home, limiting everyone to a single base. 7-0 Cubs
- Bradley with a slow roller to Lopez, 4-3, inning over.
- Reynolds lines a double down the left-field line. It one-hops the wall, hits it at an angle and bounces up into the stands. A weird consequence of the weird angles in the outfield fence.
- Jackson can't advance the runner, bouncing out to Fontenot at third.
- Chris Young lines one just out of Soriano's reach down the left-field line for a double. 7-1 Cubs
- Montero with a lazy fly to Soriano.
- Wickedest pitch of the night, a sharp slider with lots of horizontal movement, Upton swings for strike 2. Now a full count, and Upton flies out to Fukudome.
- Fontenot K's swinging.
- Hill breaks his bat and dumps a single just over Ojeda, into shallow left-center.
- Miles flies out to center
- Zambrano smokes a liner to deep right-center, hitting off the top of the wall. Hill scores. Maybe the hardest hit ball of the night. 8-1 Cubs
- Soriano dumps a single into center, scoring Z. 9-1 Cubs
- Theriot looks at a called strike three inside, and is none too happy about it.
- Papa Trans calls, but looking at the TV indicates that Z had a very quick and easy inning, 1-2-3.
- Papa Trans still on the phone, but Esmerling Vasquez is in to pitch, and Fukudome walks on four straight.
- Hoffpauir with a slow chopper to first, 3-6 force.
- and Bradley walks. Vasquez looks like Juan Cruz, except isn't very good.
- Fontenot flies out to deep left.
- Hill with a nice inside-out swing, lines a single to left to score Hoffpauir. 10-1 Cubs
- Miles with a weak pop to left-center, Young grabs it.
- Tracy with a soft fly out to Soriano
- Reynolds squibs one to first, 3-1 putout.
- Z not striking anyone out, but coaxing lots of weak contact.
- Jackson walks on an inside fastball Z sitting around 90 mph tonight, thought that one was clocked at 93.
- A sharp slider, Young K's looking.
- Incredible. Z hits an opposite-field home run. He stays on a fastball away, and after making contact, just sort of watches it for a bit before going into the trot. Just did get out, but still a hell of a poke to the opposite field. 11-1 Cubs, and Z needs a triple to hit for the cycle.
- Soriano flies to right.
- Theriot K's swinging at a high fastball
- Gathright hitting for Fukudome, rolls out to second.
- Reed Johnson in for Soriano
- Montero singles to left-center
- Upton singles to right-center, Bradley cuts it off but Montero goes to third.
- Josh Wilson must have come in for Ojeda on a double-switch with Vazquez came in to pitch, and he singles to Johnson in left, driving in Montero. Z not getting hit hard, so much as the hits are falling in. 11-2 Cubs
- Lopez with a soft bouncer, Miles charges and goes to first, 4-3 putout. Run scores, 11-3 Cubs
- Ryan Roberts (who?!?!) pinch-hits for Vasquez. Bounces out to Miles. Wilson to second.
- LouPa checks on Z, but he stays in the game. Tracy promptly flies to shallow left-center, where Gathright makes a nice running catch.
- Schoenweis in, Hoffpauir grounds to Roberts, who is playing second.
- Bradley, hitting right-handed, singles back up the middle.
- Fontenot hits into a 6-4 force, beating the throw at first to avoid the double play.
- And hill rolls out, 4-3.
- Guzman in to pitch.
- Reynolds flies into foul territory down the right-field line, Bradley makes the catch.
- Jackson rolls a single into right.
- Young pops out to Miles. Another weak AB for young
- Montero shoots one to Fontenot's right at third base, it hits off the heel of his glove for a single, runners at 1 and 3.
- Ted Lilly has managed to sneak a gigantic moth onto the top of hitting coach Gerald Perry's hat. Pretty funny.
- And Upton with an easy fly to center.
- Tom Gordon's Fossilized Bones in to pitch.
- Miles rolls to first, unassisted
- And Guzman does the same.
- Johnson chops one to third, inning over.
- Wilson grounds to miles
- Tony Clark in to pinch hit, and K's swinging.
- Roberts walks.
- and Tracy K's swinging. Two pretty easy innings for Guzman to close out the game.
- Some other sport is having playoff games. Meh.
- Things we know about Tom Skilling
- Juan Cruz is thin.
- Except where it counts.
- Len and Bob seem to be having a quiet night. Why?
- Complaining about other sports
- Getting updates about those stupid other sports
- Mister Whipple loves me.
- Parachat goes bilingual
- Crunch's pee and poop-based method of communication.
- Admiring a nacho-eating fan.
- What is the sound of.....
- Give Ron Santo a catch phrase
- Old-timers night in Parachat.
- mlb.tv's miserable product
- Getting off the lawn.
- The RIAA
- More RIAA discussion. It's suddenly like 2001 again, in Parachat.
- Live Nation
- Ice Cream
- Nerds and Fouls
- We still can't stop talking about Corey Patterson
- Or Pork.
- What's on the tip of your tongue?
- Student Bodies.
- oh my.
- oh, it's a movie, I'm told.
- oh my.
- Student Bodies.
- Killed by paperclips
- We love Koyie Hill.
- Mercifully, being on the phone with Papa Trans lets me avoid the worst of discussions about "nasty chicks." Hooray for avoiding the parachat Misogynistic Moment (tm.)
- Jason Kendall and the CDC.
- What does Kendall get us?
- The Juan Pierre trade
- A horrible, horrible, marmalade vs. jam joke.
- The Kings of Leon
- The Goat People
- We don't like Karl Ravech
- Deep fantasy leagues
- Oh come on, we're making Rosie O'Donnell jokes? Have we really sunk to such depths? What happened to the vaunted parachat creativity?
- Hating Iowa
- Rewarding Child-Care with sex.
- Racist Elmer Fudd
- Putting funny things on other peoples' hats.
- Does Tom Gordon look like Donovan McNabb?
- Things we know about our local True Value stores
- Grouting Tile.
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)
What Rob G said. I can't speak for Piittsburgh, but the other end of the state has had absolute crap weather for two days. Perfect day to take it easy.
tarp came off 10 minutes ago...let's do this.
He will not pitch another game for Cubs
/Unless injury in playoffs
Today is bullpen day
10/450 if they win WS
Carrie Muskat [email protected]
Even though Hammel is missing start, don't assume he'll not be on #Cubs postseason roster. Maddon says elbow problem isn't that bad
Carrie Muskat [email protected]
Maddon on #Cubs postseason rotation: "I don't want to announce anything. We haven't talked to anybody yet"
Carrie Muskat [email protected]
Maddon hopes Soler can take BP in Cincy, play in sim game Tue. "All of that should give us some kind of indication of where he's at"
tarp on the field 40 minutes before gametime...meh.
travel day + rain in Pittsburgh. Why risk injury?