The End of the Impotence: Theriot's Homerless Streak is Broken
Ryan Theriot's grand slam on Friday put the Cubs ahead to stay, as did his first-inning home run on Saturday.
Friday's blast ended a string of 620 at-bats and 157 games in which Theriot had failed to homer. In terms of GP, Theriot's homerless string was the 15th longest among Cub non-pitchers since 1954.
The list of 15 follows:
- Don Kessinger (5/15/66 through 9/3/68) 404 G
- Larry Bowa (5/13/83 through 8/11/85), 310 G
- Mick Kelleher (4/17/76 through 10/5/80), 304 G
- Don Kessinger (8/16/72 through 7/11/74), 279 G
- Rey Sanchez (8/30/92 through 7/2/95), 256 G
- Richie Ashburn (4/12/60 through 10/1/61), 255 G
- Ivan DeJesus (5/28/80 through 10/4/81), 223 G
- Don Kessinger (7/13/74 through 9/28/75), 220 G
- Don Kessinger (4/24/70 through 6/11/71), 202 G
- Doug Dascenzo (5/5/91 through 10/4/92), 197 G
- Don Kessinger (7/4/71 through 8/13/72), 185 G
- Scot Thompson (7/4/80 through 7/19/83), 179 G
- Larry Bowa (4/5/82 through 5/7/83), 165 G
- Jimmy Stewart (4/18/65 through 5/14/67), 158 G
- Ryan Theriot (4/16/08 through 4/30/09), 157 G
That's a whole lotta shortstops and a whole lot named Kessinger. For what it's worth, Theriot had a far higher batting average (.311), on-base percentage (.387), and slugging percentage (.360) during his homerless streak than anyone else in this group.
And now, in 2009, he has as many home runs as Derrek Lee and Milton Bradley.
Stats from Baseball-Reference.com Play Index
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.