The End of the Impotence: Theriot's Homerless Streak is Broken
Ryan Theriot's grand slam on Friday put the Cubs ahead to stay, as did his first-inning home run on Saturday.
Friday's blast ended a string of 620 at-bats and 157 games in which Theriot had failed to homer. In terms of GP, Theriot's homerless string was the 15th longest among Cub non-pitchers since 1954.
The list of 15 follows:
- Don Kessinger (5/15/66 through 9/3/68) 404 G
- Larry Bowa (5/13/83 through 8/11/85), 310 G
- Mick Kelleher (4/17/76 through 10/5/80), 304 G
- Don Kessinger (8/16/72 through 7/11/74), 279 G
- Rey Sanchez (8/30/92 through 7/2/95), 256 G
- Richie Ashburn (4/12/60 through 10/1/61), 255 G
- Ivan DeJesus (5/28/80 through 10/4/81), 223 G
- Don Kessinger (7/13/74 through 9/28/75), 220 G
- Don Kessinger (4/24/70 through 6/11/71), 202 G
- Doug Dascenzo (5/5/91 through 10/4/92), 197 G
- Don Kessinger (7/4/71 through 8/13/72), 185 G
- Scot Thompson (7/4/80 through 7/19/83), 179 G
- Larry Bowa (4/5/82 through 5/7/83), 165 G
- Jimmy Stewart (4/18/65 through 5/14/67), 158 G
- Ryan Theriot (4/16/08 through 4/30/09), 157 G
That's a whole lotta shortstops and a whole lot named Kessinger. For what it's worth, Theriot had a far higher batting average (.311), on-base percentage (.387), and slugging percentage (.360) during his homerless streak than anyone else in this group.
And now, in 2009, he has as many home runs as Derrek Lee and Milton Bradley.
Stats from Baseball-Reference.com Play Index
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon