Boy Named Su Looks Good at Fitch Park

Chris Weimer blasted a bases-loaded triple to key a five-run 8th, as the EXST Cubs rallied to tie the EXST Giants 6-6 in an eight-inning game at Fitch Park Field #1 this morning in Mesa. The 22-year old Weimer was signed by the Cubs as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) this past off-season after surviving a near-fatal car crash during his senior year in college at the U. of Nebraska - Omaha.

19-year old Korean RHP Su-Min Jung got the start for the Cubs and worked three strong innings, mixing a plus-fastball with an advanced curve and change. He got a lot of swings & misses.

Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):

LINEUP:
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, FC, K - 1 R)
2. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, 1B, E-6 - 1 R, 1 PO)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (1B, 3-U, 4-3, 1B - 1 R)
4. John Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (1B, L-8, K, 1B - 1 R, 1 RBI)
5. Jericho Jones, DH: 0-3 (K, BB, K, P-3)
6. Dwayne Kemp, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, F-9, F-9, 1B - 1 R)
7. Chris Weimer, 1B: 2-4 (F-8, K, 2B, 3B - 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-4 (4-3, L-4, 4-3, K+WP - 1 SB)
9. Jose Guevara, C: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, K)

PITCHERS:
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO
2. Toby Matchulat - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/FO
3. Cody Hams - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/FO
4. Marcos Perez - 1.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO

ERRORS (1):
3B John Contreras bobbled grounder (E-5), allowing batter to reach base

CATCHERS DEFENSE
Jose Guevara - 1-2 CS

In EXST Cubs news, RHP Dumas Garcia (left at EXST after getting cut from the Iowa Cubs roster the last day of Minor League Camp) has been traded to the Toronto Blue Jays for a PTBNL (or ca$h), OF Kurt Calvert (2008 32nd round pick out of U. of Missouri) has left camp and will likely retire, and RHP Todd Blackford (who had been rehabbing at Fitch Park since Spring Training) has moved up to AA Tennessee.

Comments

AZ Phil, is Dung-Yub Kim, the new Asian signee, in camp? Thanks.

He sounds shitty.

May 6 is Fun With Asian Names Day at TCR, is it?

That's what MY calender says.

signed,
Bum-Ho Lee

Shouldn't that be a KR calender?

Chad Fox called up, Shark down?

Yes. They just mentioned it on the radio. Anyone think Fox makes it more than 2 weeks without his arm exploding?

Submitted by Hagsag on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 3:12pm.
AZ Phil, is Dung-Yub Kim, the new Asian signee, in camp? Thanks

==============================

HAGSAG: I haven't seen him.

How do you do??!??!

Awesome title and nice write up.

Though I guess what we got for Choi turned out alright, I'd like to see some of these Korean kids make it on their own right with the Cubs.

''[Samardzija] needs to work on his second and third pitches,'' Piniella said. ''It's hard to pitch up here with a fastball only.''

still nothing about him getting sent down though...

How hard does Su-Min Jung throw?

Looks like the Cubs really are reaping some success from Steve Wilson (including Ryan Searle at Daytona and Dae-Eun Rhee last year at Peoria).

And as always, thanks!

when Chad Fox goes on the 60 day DL it gives the Cubs roster flexibility as Az Phil has written about previously.

Though, I do remember AZ Phil mentioning it, technically I believe I am the first person to bring it up when he was signed.

*Stopping chaneling of Navigator now*

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 3 hours 20 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 3 hours 21 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 3 hours 22 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 41 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 3 hours 59 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 34 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 5 hours 48 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 7 hours 24 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.