Boy Named Su Looks Good at Fitch Park
Chris Weimer blasted a bases-loaded triple to key a five-run 8th, as the EXST Cubs rallied to tie the EXST Giants 6-6 in an eight-inning game at Fitch Park Field #1 this morning in Mesa. The 22-year old Weimer was signed by the Cubs as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) this past off-season after surviving a near-fatal car crash during his senior year in college at the U. of Nebraska - Omaha.
19-year old Korean RHP Su-Min Jung got the start for the Cubs and worked three strong innings, mixing a plus-fastball with an advanced curve and change. He got a lot of swings & misses.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, FC, K - 1 R)
2. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, 1B, E-6 - 1 R, 1 PO)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 2-4 (1B, 3-U, 4-3, 1B - 1 R)
4. John Contreras, 3B: 2-4 (1B, L-8, K, 1B - 1 R, 1 RBI)
5. Jericho Jones, DH: 0-3 (K, BB, K, P-3)
6. Dwayne Kemp, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, F-9, F-9, 1B - 1 R)
7. Chris Weimer, 1B: 2-4 (F-8, K, 2B, 3B - 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-4 (4-3, L-4, 4-3, K+WP - 1 SB)
9. Jose Guevara, C: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, K)
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO
2. Toby Matchulat - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/FO
3. Cody Hams - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/FO
4. Marcos Perez - 1.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO
3B John Contreras bobbled grounder (E-5), allowing batter to reach base
Jose Guevara - 1-2 CS
In EXST Cubs news, RHP Dumas Garcia (left at EXST after getting cut from the Iowa Cubs roster the last day of Minor League Camp) has been traded to the Toronto Blue Jays for a PTBNL (or ca$h), OF Kurt Calvert (2008 32nd round pick out of U. of Missouri) has left camp and will likely retire, and RHP Todd Blackford (who had been rehabbing at Fitch Park since Spring Training) has moved up to AA Tennessee.
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon
See I told you they were up to no good
My guy Addy
Vin and '84 legends
been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.
When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.
Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).
I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.
We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.